Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by traviso71 View Post
    Do you guys melt all of your frayed edges prior to hemming? The one hammock I am nearly done with, I did not do that at all.
    Yep, sure do.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    If we are roll hemming we do not always melt the edges, we do always melt the thread after we cut it off to seal it. Melting really does help with fray, which can be a big pain sometimes.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I'm glad to hear the opinions on melting the edges, after taking up a ton of time while making one for my friend and one for my girlfriend I started to question it's need in a rolled hem but didn't want to give an inferior hammock to them. I think I might go melt free for my first bridge.
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    I've read about how slippery the DWR is. I've got the fabric spread out on the floor and it's horribly slick, pinning together these rolled seams. I'm putting a pin every two inches or so. I don't want to miss-sew on my first hammock. Certainly hope that I get faster at it! (Pin single fold-over hem. Go back and roll, re-pinning. Ready to go.)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by froldt View Post
    I've read about how slippery the DWR is. I've got the fabric spread out on the floor and it's horribly slick, pinning together these rolled seams. I'm putting a pin every two inches or so. I don't want to miss-sew on my first hammock. Certainly hope that I get faster at it! (Pin single fold-over hem. Go back and roll, re-pinning. Ready to go.)
    Don't worry, you will get faster. You can definitely double, triple or quadruple the pin spacing. Or try using clips instead of pins.

The seams on my hammock don't look all that great. The funny thing is that I only noticed that when I made the hammock. Once you lay in the hammock, you'll never notice the imperfections again.

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Don't worry, you will get faster. You can definitely double, triple or quadruple the pin spacing. Or try using clips instead of pins.

The seams on my hammock don't look all that great. The funny thing is that I only noticed that when I made the hammock. Once you lay in the hammock, you'll never notice the imperfections again.
    I've got two that I am working on right now, both double layers, so 4 sheets of fabric. I have at least one more to go, as well. So I'm sure I'll get faster. I thought about using clips of some sort, but with the 4 pieces of fabric, I figured that pins would be more cost effective.

Curse the perfectionist streak. It often rears its head. Generally I start out aiming for perfection, but then get tired of the extra time it takes and hurry to complete it. However, since I'm currently without a sewing machine, I have plenty of time to complete each of the steps. Also, working on the preparatory steps gives me a chance to ease the (appearing) addiction.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12