WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm still 50/50. Still trying to get vacation approved plus there are some personal obligations that may come up around that time. I'm trying hard though!!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Count me in as a definite, most likely, 97% participant. I might have to paddle the skinny boat this time to keep up with the "yakkers".

Blair
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    Count me in as a definite, most likely, 97% participant. I might have to paddle the skinny boat this time to keep up with the "yakkers".

Blair
    No worries on keeping up, I plan on slowing up frequently and side tripping on occasion to explore and get shots, photos not mixed alcohol.... Jager Bombs every km now that would be an endurance test and we’d be “yakkers” for sure! I’ll probably be behind the group and catching up most of the time.
    Last edited by [o]TTeR; 07-12-2011 at 13:32.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey guys,

I wouldn't worry too much about speed. If we head out together, with all of the portages, we'll likely keep pretty closely bunched. No really long stretches of uninterupted paddling and mild portages should make for a good trip. The Ragged to Big Porcupine feels a bit long, but no worries.

Even this far out, we're getting close to nine. A second permit looks quite possible!

Incidentially, in the long dispute between Kayaks and Canoes, a little context is always helpful...(Probably don't remember this scene do you?)
    Last edited by Chard; 07-13-2011 at 07:51.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    So I had the hardest time last year canoeing, never done it combined with programmers back and the fact I haven't seen a chiropractor in a couple years had me kissing the ground when we landed.

How is this trip compared to last years? I have been hitting the gym a little more regularly but I still think my back is pretty weak. I may have to try out renting a kayak (I feel the constant Left/Right motion is a little more balanced on the back, maybe?)

Also I am thinking of bringing a friend, any objections? She is just getting into hammock camping (aka she wants to go camping with me and all I have is a second hammock setup so she is stuck with it) and is interested in going on a canoe trip. I'll see if I can get her to make an account on here :P

So I should be in, I don't see why not, at the end of September there isn't much going on in terms of school but we'll see.
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    There are more portages and shorter time on the water from the sound of it. Chard and others can confirm. Don't know how that would be on the back but maybe the more frequent changes would be better than the longer paddling of your spring trip.

With regards to you bringing someone, she would be welcomed I'm sure. Being stuck with a hammock set up to go camping is not the worst thing for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    So I had the hardest time last year canoeing, never done it combined with programmers back and the fact I haven't seen a chiropractor in a couple years had me kissing the ground when we landed.

How is this trip compared to last years? I have been hitting the gym a little more regularly but I still think my back is pretty weak. I may have to try out renting a kayak (I feel the constant Left/Right motion is a little more balanced on the back, maybe?)

Also I am thinking of bringing a friend, any objections? She is just getting into hammock camping (aka she wants to go camping with me and all I have is a second hammock setup so she is stuck with it) and is interested in going on a canoe trip. I'll see if I can get her to make an account on here :P

So I should be in, I don't see why not, at the end of September there isn't much going on in terms of school but we'll see.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

Well, I've always felt that the Tom Thomson route was a bit gruelling. It's a really long stretch of paddling from the first portage by the dam into T.T.Lake.

I have a feeling that the route I'm suggesting for the fall will be better all around. We likely won't be on the water for much more than a hour at a time, and portaging will give your upper body a chance to recharge.

For your back, I used to use a velcro back support belt, and I've seen many people use of one of those folding pad with backrests. Frequently switching paddling sides is also helpful, although, to be honest, I usually spend 80% of the day on one side.

As far as bringing a friend, that would be great! Dude!!! That's the whole point of these crazy Hangs; the more the merrier and Fall in Algonquin is probably the best place to be. If you wanted, I'm sure we could give you a quick primer on steering strokes that would serve you well on flat waters, but on anything rough, I'm sure we'd all agree that it's safety first. Fortunately, unlike the Spring, the water won't be deathly cold at the end of September.

Are you guys all set up with a second set of gear? Does your friend have everything she needs (e.g. hammocks, suspension, tarps, etc...?) If not, maybe the group can help.

Anyway, let's hope the both of you can join us. It should be a good time.
    Last edited by Chard; 07-13-2011 at 11:21.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I may have to try out renting a kayak (I feel the constant Left/Right motion is a little more balanced on the back, maybe?)
    NOOOOO....reference the above picture to see what type of characters kayak!
    Canoeists are a much friendlier breed.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    NOOOOO....reference the above picture to see what type of characters kayak!
    Canoeists are a much friendlier breed.
    Yes but according to the prophecy, we bring balance to the force! Canoeists are so “One Sided”?

Hey Kasuko, if you haven’t been in a kayak before, you probably want to get out a few times before you commit to a multi-day trip, kayaks are fast and definitely fun but tend to be unforgiving at times and will also limit the amount of gear you can manage.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    I Did some plotting in Google Maps, let me know if you find this useful??
    EGLHA - Autumn in Algonquin 2011
    My Photos My Videos

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast