Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Superior Hiking Trail 5/26 - 5/28

I had a nice few days on the Superior Hiking Trail this past weekend. I hopped in the car on Thursday morning with no plan in place. That's the way I roll when it comes to most trips. It makes it more fun not knowing exactly what I'll end up doing.

I ended up going with the Woods Creek to Kadunce Wayside section of the trail which is just North of Grand Marais. I hadn't been on this section before. Since I was alone and didn't do the shuttle service I only went the 4.1 miles from the trail head to the Cliff Creek campsite. I must say I was impressed with this section of the trail. Nice variety, not overly challenging with ups and downs but lots of cool stuff to see. I got to camp and had just strung my hammock up and a couple gal hikers arrived at my camp and shared the site with me. I was at a Multi Group site so there was plenty of room and they were sharing a two person backpack tent. We chatted for awhile and ate dinner and turned in. I must say they were pretty intrigued by my hammock rig and were asking lots of questions and taking pictures. Maybe they'll become hammock converts.

I got up early the next morning, packed up and headed back to the car Friday morning. I wasn't sure where I was going to go the next day and ended up driving south and hiking some on the Beaver River section of trail.

Saturday morning I headed back North a bit to Tettegouche State Park. I had a reservation for one of the walk in campsites up at the campground. The reason I did that was because I wanted to make use of the showers as I planned on stopping into my Dad's in Duluth on Sunday and didn't want to show up smelling like a pig. I ended up doing a nice day hike on the SHT that runs through Tettegouche. I have been to Tettegouche several times but only on park trails and not on the SHT. I was pretty impressed with the trail in this section. Nice overlooks and I really liked the Drainpipe POI on the trail. Pretty steep climb and one to be careful on.

After hiking back to the trail head lot I headed to find my campsite at the campground. It was very close to the car but it actually had a couple trees that worked for setting up my hammock. As I was setting up my hammock a park ranger walked into my site and the first thing I thought was "Oh S**T, he's going to tell my no hammocks allowed. He actually stopped in to tell me there was a tornado warning out for Silver Bay and that I should be prepared to take shelter at the shower building if it got bad. He didn't say anything about my hammock which was a relief. Just as he left it started to rain and I quickly deployed my tarp and then it started to poor and hail! It ended up doing this off and on until 10pm Saturday night. I slept great under the tarp and the MacCat Deluxe with doors performed like a champ.

I packed up Sunday morning and headed to Duluth and then on home. All in all it was a pretty nice weekend and it was fun to visit sections I haven't been to yet and there is a LOT more of the SHT I need to get to yet. Here is a link to my photos.

http://hammock.smugmug.com/Photograp...7296020_Fpgp9D

Video Part 1 Woods Creek to Cliff Creek

Video Part 2 Tettegouche State Park

Last edited by pizza; 05-31-2011 at 16:51. Reason: Added YouTube Video Link

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great photos dude! I was really worried there would be a lot of people there this weekend but looks like you lucked out. Glad you got up there and saw your dad too. Thanks for sharing.

Fronkey

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Great photos Pizza ... sounds like a really nice hike. GLAD you didn't get a tornado!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Another nice report, Pizza! Good spots and good shots!!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    pizza - great pics....how do you like those bear grylls pants? did you get a larger size than what you'd normally wear and are they a little tight around your boots? i've got the kiwi's and are fine with shoes but not my asolo flames.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Beautiful pictures pizza. Every one of them. You have an eye for photographing.
    And thanks for the report.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    pizza - great pics....how do you like those bear grylls pants? did you get a larger size than what you'd normally wear and are they a little tight around your boots? i've got the kiwi's and are fine with shoes but not my asolo flames.
    The BG pants are great! I have two pairs of them and they are pretty much the only pants I wear on the trail now. Yes, on the oversizing. I get them one size up. No, they are not tight around the ankles at all. I wear gaitors and tuck the pants inside them to keep out trail debris and ticks. I also soak my clothes in permethrin and have yet to get a tick when doing that.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Thanks pizza. This one caught my eye in particular because me and my older 2 sons are hiking on the SHT at the end of June. Up by Grand Marais is one of the areas I'm scoping.

The reference to the state park and showers was particularly useful, as we need to be clean and sweet smelling human beings by the time we get home, so I've booked a site at that park for the last night out, in the walk-in camping area. Do you suppose we are reasonably assured of being able to find hanging trees, or ought we to bring a tent for insurance?

thanks
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Man that lake is superior! Wonderful photos and report. I do love all the green mossy goodness. Thanks for sharing and you've got a sweet tarp.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & WB XLC
    Tarp
    OESMCD W/PMOD
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, JRB HR TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Pizza. As always... a great trip report and photos.
    "It's a wanderful life."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast