Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Mine. Te-Wa/MikeinAZ Custom job!
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-Wa/MikeinAZ UQ
    Alright, I survived the first night....but I was FREAKING cold!!! I think the temp dipped into the low 40's and I was pretty much awake from midnight until 5 or 6 am trying to stay warm. Apparently my sleeping pad isn't going to cut it.

So what are the simplest options from here on out? I didn't wear anything but my boxer shorts to sleep in...which was apparently my first mistake, but I have a feeling that even with some more clothes on I would have been cold. What are the pros and cons to strapping a space blanket type deal to the bottom of the hammock, like an underpad or under quilt (I forget if those are the same thing). Here are some photos...I was pretty comfortable except for I didn't stake the sides out at the proper angle, and my feet where a tad lower than my head, so I ended up with my feet crammed down into one end. Live and learn...this thing takes practice!

Just for those locals that might be on here. We camped on top of Tortilla Pass on the JF Trail in the Superstition Wilderness, Tonto National Forest. We left the Woodbury Trail Head at 7pm in the dark, hiked in 3.5 miles up a massive climb, and as soon as we summited the pass we started looking for something to hang the hammock on. When I got up in the morning, I found out that I strung directly across a trail that merges with the one we had hiked in on...oops. Thankfully nobody was hiking the trail while my hammock was draped across it....I would have been a little nervous if a group of hikers was army crawling under my hammock while I was trying to sleep

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome back from your first hang. It only git's better once you get past the learning curve. Actually, I've learned that the learning curve never actually ends. Doing some local/backyard testing should help you get it figured out.
    As far as the pad goes, what pad(s) did you use on your trip and how did you use it?
    I'd suggest using thermals as a way to add additional warmth to your system. A scull cap can make a big difference also. Your right about being cold even with more clothes on if your bottom insulation is not sufficient.
    Space blankets are not real popular around here. Much better options available IMO. A underquilt is a good option. At temps in the low 40's though, you should have no problem figuring out a warm way to use a pad(s) to stay plenty warm. I've used just pads at around 10° and was plenty warm.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-Wa/MikeinAZ UQ
    I picked up a closed cell foam pad at the local sporting goods store in the camping section. I was going to bring my Thermarest, but I figured inflatable wouldn't be that great...then it's just full of cold air. I am thinking VERY hard about buying the Hennessy Supershelter. I like camping in the cold...and I like sleeping in the hammock. I gotta' make it work! Underquilts are more or less out the question because of price and bulk. Those darn things are over $300 from Speer, I would abandon the hammock before I put that much into it. The supershelter is $140 and seems like a feasible option. It's fairly small (compared the quilts) and appears to work well, when used correctly. I am going to wear my beanie next time though, and then sport a fleece so my back stays a little warmer. But hopefully, the Super Shelter will give me that extra warmth. Keep the advice coming, opinions are welcome as well. I am hear to learn.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt4dinner View Post
    I am thinking VERY hard about buying the Hennessy Supershelter. I like camping in the cold...and I like sleeping in the hammock. I gotta' make it work!
    BillyBob will give you all the info you can stand about the SS, then!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I don't have any experience with the supershelter. But before you plunk down a sizeable chunk of $$ on that you might try to work a bit more with your pads.

I've slept on Thermarests in the hammock to the mid 30s and was warm below. Granted I was wearing more than you! But still, your body heat warms up the air cells in the hammock, just as it does on the ground.

The bigger issue for me was keeping that dang pad in place, in an HH Explorer. Solutions that seem to work for some include a segmented pad extender (SPE, also on Speer's site, easy enough to rig one of your own though) whose bottom grips the hammock fabric better. I've read folks suggest putting those adhesive strips that inhibit slipping on the bottom.

Also there are higher end pads that many like, particularly ones from owareusa.com, gossamergear.com, and of course Speers.

Grizz

Before you buy anything else, order two 1/4 x 40 x 60 pads from Oware. Trim them 30 inches wide, some people are fine with 28in, but start with 30. You can use the offcuts in a Speer SPE (another piece of gear you should try) and to make pot cozies from. I've trimmed my pads 28in wide from shoulders to hips, and they taper down to 18in wide at the foot. I've slept with a Jardine kit quilt on those pads down to freezing and slept great without extra clothes. Part of your problem may have been inadequate coverage of your head, you HAVE to keep your head completely covered below 40F. Ray Jardine has a Bomber hat kit. Bozeman Mountain Works sells a killer balaclava. Learn to use pads first, then get an underquilt. When you combine them, you can hang year round in most of the lower 48.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Pads will get you as low as you wanna go without the big price tag of high end quilts; but you gotta have a good understanding of how insulation works and why hammockers needs are differnet than ground dwellers.

Just Jeff has a very good article on hiw website detailing this here How Do I Stay Warm In A Hammock?.

Experimenting at home is the best way to learn the efective range of the insulation for yourself; not all of us have anitfreeze running in our veains like Neo.

Building or buying an SPE is going to save you tons of time, effort and energy. I built mine with the middle section made of fleece and the wings of Nylon, it works great!

Ther are many options tho, Oware pads and Gassamer Gear pads plus many more. For me cheaper is better, I use a layer of Walmart blue pad and my Z-Lite with blue pad wings and I have been to 17 degrees with this set up wearing midweight thermals and fleece balaclava. Great for the price and pretty good for the weight!

The learning curve is short, the comfort goes on and on...
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-Wa/MikeinAZ UQ
    Thanks so much everyone. I was basically just using the famous WalMart pad that everyone recommends. I will entertain all of these ideas you guys are offering up and go out in another couple weeks and see how it goes. I am going to push it next time to a higher elevation. If I get cold again in the middle of the night, I will jump down on the ground for the rest of the night and head back to the drawing board!

I have one more question for Take-A-Knee. How bulky is it carrying all the items you use as padding? Looks like you have 2 CCF pads, the Speer SPE and the extra pieces for the wings.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-Wa/MikeinAZ UQ
    Well guys, I have never sewed...but I know we have a really nice sewing machine. I am going to make this! I will try this, and if it fails we will amp things up with the Super Shelter.

http://hikinghq.net/hammock/wing_pad.html

I will send my next post from the ER while they are putting my fingers back on.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...9818#post29818

The link above is for a different version pad Sgt Rock made. No sewing involved

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast