Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Mine. Te-Wa/MikeinAZ Custom job!
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-Wa/MikeinAZ UQ

My first night out is tomorrow. Quick question

I am taking my new HH Expedition out for it's maiden voyage tomorrow night (probably today for most people reading this...unless you're up late like me). I am still a little confused on the sleeping pad aspect of hammocking. Am I understanding correctly that most people use a sleeping pad for warmth more than comfort? I have two different varieties of sleeping pad, I have the inflatable Thermarest, and I also have the folding (accordion style) Thermarest Z-Lite. The temperature is going to be a low of 48-52 and I have a Marmot Fusion 15 degree synthetic down mummy bag. My question is...should I one of my Thermarests, or do I just go with the bag in the hammock...no pad? Thanks for the advice, hopefully I come back well rested full of praise for my new hammock!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt4dinner View Post
    I am taking my new HH Expedition out for it's maiden voyage tomorrow night (probably today for most people reading this...unless you're up late like me). I am still a little confused on the sleeping pad aspect of hammocking. Am I understanding correctly that most people use a sleeping pad for warmth more than comfort? I have two different varieties of sleeping pad, I have the inflatable Thermarest, and I also have the folding (accordion style) Thermarest Z-Lite. The temperature is going to be a low of 48-52 and I have a Marmot Fusion 15 degree synthetic down mummy bag. My question is...should I one of my Thermarests, or do I just go with the bag in the hammock...no pad? Thanks for the advice, hopefully I come back well rested full of praise for my new hammock!
    Most folks need some bottom insulation in temps below 65-75°
    Definitely take a pad. I've never used a z-lite before but from what I have read, it likes to fold up on you in the hammock and may not be the best choice. The blue wally world 3/8" thick pad would work much better IMO.
    For future trips, a Speer SPE would be a good idea cause you will feel the cold on the parts of your body that the 20" wide pad does not cover.
    www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    Wally world also has a 24" wide egg crate pad (1/2"thick) that could work if you don't move around a lot and your fairly slim.
    On this trip you could take both pads and experiment some if the extra weight/bulk is no big deal. Maybe take the z-lite and put it across the top half of the hammock and make a cross pattern. Maybe only one pad should be taken due to the not so cold temps.
    You could even experiment with partially inflating the Thermarest as some like Slowhike have done here. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ted+thermarest
    www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html
    Good luck on your first hang.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 02-29-2008 at 01:47.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    What can I say, I don't sleep.

If you can only take 1 pad, take the thermarest. The Z-rest is a piece of crap IMO. I used it for awhile and didn't think it lived up to the hype to stay warm.

The first hand is alway fun. It it makes you feel better I woke up on my first hang to the lower half of my body hanging out the slit. Needless to say my dad got a good laugh, and I started hanging the foot end higher.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    HH Expo and a ENO double
    Images
    D4D:

I will have to agree with FF in saying you will need some sort of insulation under 75F. I would take both with me. I would use the inflatable Thermarest, and then the Z-rest cross wise under your arms, put it under the inflatable. It might help hold it in place. Enjoy your first hang. Remember to do your knots right, and tight.
    I trust everyone, it is the devil in side them i dont trust.
    (Sua Sponte)

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    You want a pad, but you don't want the Z-rest which would be unruly in a hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-Wa/MikeinAZ UQ
    alright, thanks everyone. I think I might go buy a pad at WalMart. If I am going to bring the Thermarest I need to do a patch job on it today. I have been really happy with the Z-Lite for sleeping on the ground, but who knows what it might do in a hammock. I will come back with a report.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    thats your best bet Tyler. and the 24" wally world pad can be returned to get your $10 back. hehe
    Oware and Speer both make wide pads in 1/4 that you can use for most of this upcoming Spring and Summer seasons. The GG pad is an option too, at 40" wide you can trim it a bit for your needs. Good thing youre skinny, eh?
    happy hanging tonight, wish I could join you. here's a shot of the area where you guys will be camping, this is my summer setup, last weekend.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-Wa/MikeinAZ UQ
    Thanks Mike. I am heading down to Wally here in a few minutes and I will get one. I am sure at some point I will pick up the Speer...but I am about to order a very nice Cat Tarp, so the hammock money is tied up for a little while.

I wish you could join too...but it's going to be a quick one for sure. I will have some photos when we get back.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    which Cat Tarp did you chose? The Mac?

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-Wa/MikeinAZ UQ
    Yeah, I am working with Brian that makes them right now. I have a few different options as far as color and stuff goes. I want to get one night in the hammock under the stock rain fly, so I can think up some ideas that I want in the new one. I will be ordering the Mac this weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast