Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DIY quilts and HH

Sigh....I bought materials (climashield hl and ripstop and hooks and thread) for making my own quilts last summer, but simply won't have time to learn to sew, and 2 friends who DO sew say the ripstop is too hard to work with, and they can't do it for me. I thought about selling the materials here (and maybe even my hammock!), but can't because I have fewer than 15 posts. So: is there anyone who's done this before, who could inexpensively make these for me? My intention was to do a simple rectangular underquilt (about 62x80) loosely based on the KAQ (by virtue of its advice on the channels, mostly), and then a top quilt of about 5x5, with the remaining material. I got as far as cutting the channels, cutting the insulation and ripstop, and burning the edges of the ripstop....and now I'm sunk, with no time, and no ability to use my hammock (in the cold PacNW, without an underquilt). I'm already into this for well over $100 for materials...

Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Just sit down with a thread injector, take some scraps and practice a few different hems and such. It take no time. I made my first DIY jumping in feet first with no practice, and I still have it and use it from time to time. A few hours one evening practicing seams and such and you'll be ready to tackle it.

But then again, someone up near you may just help you finish up.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    Maybe this guy could help you out

rjcress

Hammock: DIY FrankenBird + 5 others
    Tarp: DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation: IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension: DIY whoopies

Send a message via Skype™ to rjcress

Custom IX UQ & TQs, peak bags, ridgeline organizers, etc.

Howdy folks.
    I'm not officially offering services as a retail "vendor". However, I am available for limited one-off, custom stuff.

Here are the things that I can offer:
    -peak bags
    -ridgeline organizers
    -stuff sacks
    -hammock or tarp tubes
    -whoopie slings and soft shackles
    -IX Under Quilts
    -IX Top Quilts

I made an IX Top Quilt for an HF member and he sent me this feedback:
    "I received the quilt LOOKS AWESOME."

I have a "day job" that limits the time I can devote to making things and don't keep much stock on supplies. It is likely that I'll need to order materials to make most things. If you need something quickly, there are lots of reputable vendors here that are probably a better choice for you. I won't be the cheapest option either, as I can't buy supplies at huge volume discounts and don't have patterns for everything. I have more time invested in projects than the folks that have efficient mini-production lines set up.

If I haven't scared you away yet and you want something customized for you, or just want to help underwrite my outdoor gear habit, then I'll be happy to talk about your project and see if we can work out a deal that makes sense for both of us. (a rather impressive run-on sentence, if I do say so myself)
    -Jeff

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Mose,
    Hand stitching can be an answer. Sure it'll take some time and patience. But there are a few on here that have hand stitched some beautiful stuff. And you'll get the satisfaction of "I did it myself". It'll look fine if you take your time.

Check with your local seamstress/sewing/tailoring shop. Most have reasonable rates. Call around.

RJCress is on vacay for the summer. But you could pm him and maybe he has time.
    But thats going to involve shipping both ways and his labor. And it'll take a few days to ship back forth across the US. With shipping and all, I see the process getting cost prohibitive. JMO

Maybe a member thats local can assist you.

Thanks, all. I did check with a tailor--he wasn't interested. And my two seamstress friends both said "too hard"--because the ripstop is so slippery. I understand very well the satisfaction of doing a thing myself (I've built cottages, I cook, I garden, I keep bees...) but I have to draw the line somewhere, and outsource (I was hoping to do so with friends), or I'll never get to actually backpack. Also, since the materials were pricey (they're all from Arrowhead Equipment and Backwoods Daydreamer/sclittlefield), I don't want to practice on this, even if I did want to learn how to sew (which I think I've decided I don't....)

If someone with experience (who could do these in an afternoon or less, I'm guessing) wanted to sew both the underquilt & top quilt and then keep the top quilt and send me the underquilt, I'd be thrilled...otherwise, I might just have to post a lot, and then put the materials in the 'for sale' section along with my expedition zip asym!

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Profly
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i dont know why your seamstress friends are being wussies about it. ripstop really isnt too slippery. if you have the sewing machine, its really easy to do. i bought my 1.1oz from backwoods and i thought the same thing too, 'i dont want to screw this up!'

i had only worked on a sewing machine once in my life. i was 8 and had my grandmother sitting behind me. so when i decided to start making my own gear i was lucky enough to get a brand new thread injector for my birthday. i went to wallyworld and found a cheap, thin spare piece in the reject bin. it wasnt ripstop but it was about the same thickness. i practiced several different types of hems, a few different thread types and their tension strengths and then jumped right into my UQ. Thats it. now, its not the prettiest thing around and sure, it did take me awhile but its done and it works. i did mine following the KAQ design minus the darts. so it is possible.

go slow, do some practicing and before you know it a new UQ will be done and ready to go! id hate to see you give up just because your friends suck. (sorry but how many people on here have done it and have excellent homemade stuff?)
    Tucker: So I suppose if you are helping us you arent as mean as I thought...
    Tex: I wouldnt say Im mean, I just get hired to do mean things.
    Tucker: But you like it.
    Tex: Well I think its important to enjoy what you do.

-Red Vs Blue

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    Mose, if you are willing to pin it all together first, one of your seamstress friends might be willing to run the seams for you.

You said you live "in the cold PacNW", so I'll guess west of the Cascades. How close to Seattle are you?

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mose View Post
    Sigh....I bought materials (climashield hl and ripstop and hooks and thread) for making my own quilts last summer, but simply won't have time to learn to sew, and 2 friends who DO sew say the ripstop is too hard to work with, and they can't do it for me. I thought about selling the materials here (and maybe even my hammock!), but can't because I have fewer than 15 posts. So: is there anyone who's done this before, who could inexpensively make these for me? My intention was to do a simple rectangular underquilt (about 62x80) loosely based on the KAQ (by virtue of its advice on the channels, mostly), and then a top quilt of about 5x5, with the remaining material. I got as far as cutting the channels, cutting the insulation and ripstop, and burning the edges of the ripstop....and now I'm sunk, with no time, and no ability to use my hammock (in the cold PacNW, without an underquilt). I'm already into this for well over $100 for materials...

Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Well my friend, ti's a sad state of affairs indeed. But I would rather light a candle than curse your darkness.

I see that you have chosen to air your lament on the DIY forum. Just a little reminder of what DIY stands for: Do It Yourself. Let that be your mantra. You can do it!

Before you give up on this project, take a moment to look back at what you have accomplished so far. It takes a lotta guts to step in to the unknown. You're standing at the door step of a brave new world. If you so choose, you can walk through that door and experience the triumph of pride and joy that awaits, or you can die an old [insert gender here] filled with regrets.

Here's a thought: instead of asking your "friends" to sew your stuff, ask them guide you through the process. That is what true friends are for. There are many here on this forum who would be eager to provide all the guidance you need. This requires some patience on your part. If you take your time and go slow you can get through this. Take it from me, sewing is easy (I taught myself this year, using my mother-in-laws machine). And sewing rip stop nylon is a breeze - especially if all you have to do is sew a straight line. Christ, you don't even need pins for that!

Here's another thought: instead of paying some one else to do the work for you, use the money to pick up a second hand machine and do it yourself (remember the mantra). All machines come with a manual of some sort. When in doubt read the instructions - it can be very liberating. What's that old saying: something about teaching a man to fish versus giving a man a fish. Before you know it you be advising others how to sew. It ain't rocket science, you know.

Get to work, now. You'll be glad you did. And give a holler when you get stuck.

Hot Tip: have a look at ramblinrevs videos on gear making.

Cheers

I am bloody new to working with ripstop (previously I dabbled more in sewing clothes) and I can say Ripstop isn't tough to work with at all.

A couple of tips,
    1. The glue stick trick works awesome. Simply use a glue stick on your seams to tack them together instead of using pins. It holds it all together nicely until you stitch it.
    2. A $20 walker foot attachment makes the ripstop feed as easily as any other material.

If I can do it then a couple of seamstress's's with the right motivation should have no problems with it. Have you tried offering them beer and cookies?

If you give yourself another shot at it then consider this, outside of the long seams... in sewing terms most of this is pretty simple work. It's not rocket science (which I have heard on good authority that rocket science isn't brain surgery). With a bit of practice and a good seam ripper you can tackle this stuff fairly easily. Just don't be afraid to make a few mistakes, you won't get it perfect the first time through.

Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    Mose, if you are willing to pin it all together first, one of your seamstress friends might be willing to run the seams for you.

You said you live "in the cold PacNW", so I'll guess west of the Cascades. How close to Seattle are you?
    I'm IN Seattle, near Cap Hill...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast