HH Ultralite Backpacker Asym Zip or HH Expedition Asym Zip

I'm planning to get the HH Ultralite Backpacker Asym Zip or HH Expedition Asym Zip. Whichever I get, I think I'll be getting the 70d hex fly.
    Is it worth it to get the heavier Expedition that can hold up to 250lbs. instead of the lighter Ultralite Backpacker that can only hold 200 lbs.? I'm around 5'11" and weigh around 165 lbs, and am considering the possibility of keeping my roughly 40 lbs. pack and boots in my hammock with me at night in order to keep critters from bothering them. I don't know how else to protect them during the night, though I realize that I could put my food up a tree, but I would like to avoid doing that, except for bear and moose areas.
    What's your feeling about getting the heavier hammock in order to keep my boots and pack (and maybe food) in the hammock with me?

Darwin
    [email protected]

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    darwin,
    It does not matter about a few extra pounds in the hammock. I have a hh expedition, but, if I had known, I would have gotten the UL model. There's plenty of strength there. The difference might be a little less durability, but, that's not worth worrying about. The 70d tarp is great, but, again, a hardware store utility tarp is the same weight for the same size. IMO
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    If you really want to attempt to put your boots and pack in there with you, Ide say get the Explorer UL.. More room and lighter than the Expedition.

I think the Classic opening has grown on me with the ability to hang my boots out of it off the ridge line. Although I will be adding the Zip Mod as well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I im going to get a cheapie little hammock to hang under me for my pack/boots etc. Something like this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Extra-St...7060474&sr=1-1

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Gary+1.....Go with the Explorer UL. If you're 5'11" you'll want the extra length.

I used to worry about "critters". I got one of Jeff's gear hammock to put my pack and such inside. Since my food and toiletries go up the tree in the bear bag there's not much left in the pack. I'm OK with the critters running around so long as they don't do any damage. I usually just put on the pack cover then lay it on the ground under my hammock or hang it from the suspension. Leave the main compartment and small zipper pockets open. I'd rather some animal not try and chew it's way inside.

Don't worry about the boots. The stench keeps most animals away. If you think rodents might be a problem then put them in a mesh bag and dangle them from your hammock suspension too. I guarantee you'll be sick of that gear inside your hammock after one night regardless of the model you choose.

Good luck

Darwin-

I can't imagine keeping my whole pack inside my hammock. Your height and weight are fine for the Backpacker Asym. As others said, the few extra pounds shouldn't make much difference, but if you have a lot of gear and "stuff" inside, you may need the longer hammock. In my summer rigs, there isn't much left after I hang my food, cooking gear, first aid gear and toiletries. If I hang up my hiking clothes and sleep in my town/sleep/camp/insulation clothes, I have been able to put my near-empty pack under my legs in the hammock. This doesn't work so well if it is wet, so I have gone to putting my pack cover over my pack and hanging it against a tree, from one of my Treehugger straps. Slide the haul loop under a Treehugger and then slide a stake or piece of wood through the loop. Done. The pack is protected and off of the ground. Rigging my packcover as a gear hammock is intriguing enough that I may try it.

Hanging boots from the ridgeline works great to keep critters from chewing on them for salt. If You have a side zip, you might want to put them into a bag, since you won't be able to hang items through the bottom slit.

Good luck.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darwin310 View Post
    I'm planning to get the HH Ultralite Backpacker Asym Zip or HH Expedition Asym Zip. Whichever I get, I think I'll be getting the 70d hex fly.
    Is it worth it to get the heavier Expedition that can hold up to 250lbs. instead of the lighter Ultralite Backpacker that can only hold 200 lbs.? I'm around 5'11" and weigh around 165 lbs, and am considering the possibility of keeping my roughly 40 lbs. pack and boots in my hammock with me at night in order to keep critters from bothering them. I don't know how else to protect them during the night, though I realize that I could put my food up a tree, but I would like to avoid doing that, except for bear and moose areas.
    What's your feeling about getting the heavier hammock in order to keep my boots and pack (and maybe food) in the hammock with me?

Darwin
    [email protected]
    If it were me I would hang them off of the suspension and bring in only what I need.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts