WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff

Ridgeline tension

I've just fitted a whoopie SRL to my whoopie all-in-one slings by connecting the SPR between the two rings. This seems to work great and I set the line to 83% of the overall length (ring to ring). However when I did a test hang today the SRL was very tight. I had to lenghthen the SRL quite a bit to reduce the tension.

I've seen some videos and read that I should be able to bend the SRL between my fingers when I'm in the hammock to set the right amount of tension.

Todays set up made me think about a few things though; if the ridgeline length stays the same length between hangs, the tension will vary depending on the distance between the two trees and the height of the straps as both of these factors will affect the angle of the slings and the workload placed on the SRL. The angle of the slings today was less than 30 degrees, so more stress was placed on the SRL.

Should I worry about tension in the SRL or should I just find the sweet spot and forget about it?

Thanks

Mark

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Start at that 83 percent if its tight then you can lengthen it or your suspension to loosen it up. The SRL does set your sag but you can make it too tight by pullin on it too much from either side.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Cheers HamMike, thats what I thought too. Even with the SRL I still need to hang the straps as high as possible to get near to 30 degrees, to take tension off the SRL.

I think I need a bit more practice choosing my trees and setting everything up.

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    DIY cat hex
    Suspension
    MSH/whoopies
    It's true that the shorter the ridgeline (i.e. the more sag you have in your hammock), the more tension the SRL will hold. Normally the hammock fabrick itself is carrying the tension. When you relieve that tension to create more sag, it has to be carried by something in order to transfer the load to the suspension and on to the trees.

It can be easily calculated using simple trigonometry, similar to the way the tension in the suspension is calculated. In fact, the SRL tension is going to be a function of the suspension's tension.

I noticed this last night as I was adjusting my SRL length. The shorter I made it, the tighter it got (and the higher pitch it would make when I twanged it with my finger). I found my most comfortable lay at about 80%, which was surprisingly MUCH tighter than my starting point of 83%.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roe Ring View Post
    Cheers HamMike, thats what I thought too. Even with the SRL I still need to hang the straps as high as possible to get near to 30 degrees, to take tension off the SRL.

I think I need a bit more practice choosing my trees and setting everything up.
    Right on Roe! I am a hands on learner myself. I still have to tinker. Happy hangin!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Thanks Tobus, my ridgeline twanged like a base guitar. I didnt try any less than 83% but will give it a go next time. The extra sag helped me lay flat and seemed to give me more room to move in the hammock.

• + New Posts