diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch

how low / high do you hang

This last weekend spent three nights on the SHT on MN north shore and had rain two of those nights. Stayed dry but had a few issues hanging my tarp. how close to the ridge line should the tarp be hung when expecting rain? I figured the closer / lower the tarp was hung the better. The problem I ran into was that my hammock suspension was hitting the end of the tarp when I hung it real close but when the tarp was high enough to clear the suspension it seemed like the tarp sides where too high and I didn't feel like it provided enough coverage on the sides.
    tarp used- maccat deluxe
    hammock- GT single

thoughts? comments? if you could direct me to pics of a pitched hammock and tarp setup for heavy rain it would be great.

thanks

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    you'll want your tarp ridgeline actually underneath the hammock suspension around the tree. this will keep your tarp "just" above the hammock ridgeline.

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    it was, the issue was that where the suspension angles up to the tree it was hitting the end of the tarp because the tarp ridge line is longer than the ridge line on my hammock. when i moved the tarp up to clear the suspension it was close to a foot above the hammock RL and felt like it was too high.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i set up my tarp (RL under tarp) so that the peak is 3"-4" above where the (foot end) hammock suspension exits from beneath the tarp (unless it's really hot).
    i lower the sides of the tarp to about 12"-18" off the ground and use the pull outs for extra room and support.
    spend some time browsing thru the HF photo gallery and check out other peeps methods.
    i learned a lot doing that and had fun too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    it was, the issue was that where the suspension angles up to the tree it was hitting the end of the tarp because the tarp ridge line is longer than the ridge line on my hammock. when i moved the tarp up to clear the suspension it was close to a foot above the hammock RL and felt like it was too high.
    I have had trouble with that in the past, especially when using a small tarp- like the HH diamond tarp- where having it VERY close to the RL is pretty critical.

If attaching an HH diamond tarp to the HH suspension Prussiks, the tarp stays very close to the RL ( after you get in and the hammock sags) and gives optimal cover. However, you most likely will now have a very loose floppy tarp because it will sag with the hammock. There are various tricks to minimize this effect.

If attaching the diamond tarp from the trees, it will now stay as tight as possible. But exposure will increase after the hammock sags away from the tarp. So attaching the hammock higher than the tarp on the tree becomes very important, attempting to keep the tarp RL as close to the tarp as possible. But then you often run into the problem you mention. One thing that has worked for me is to have my tarp line go from the tarp and all the way around the tree and back to the tarp. This has the tarp line going out towards/on each side of the tree and forms an opening in between the right and left side of the tarp line. An opening through which your hammock suspension can pass on it's straight down the middle path to the tree. This pretty much gets rid of the problem you mentioned, at least for me.

Of course, if the hammock line is hitting the actual tarp and not just the tarp suspension, the above might not help much.

But, with a big rectangular tarp like the JRB, I seldom feel the need to hang the tarp all that low and mostly don't bother.

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    If I understand your problem correctly, the problem is that your tarp ridge line is a good bit longer than your hammock, so the angle of your suspension forces you to hang your tarp higher than you'd like to avoid the suspension hitting your actual tarp, not your tarp suspension. The grand trunk ultra light is fairly short, while the maccat deluxe has a fairly long ridge line. If you don't already have a structural ridge line on your hammock, it might help to use one, and that would allow you to get your desired sag while having the ability to use less angle on your hammock suspension. That's at least what I've experienced. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    It's interesting how if you use a long tarp to get more coverage the benefit isn't always as much as you'd think because you end up with more vertical space between the hammock and tarp due to interference. Only work around I know of is the one offered by jraffini, hang the hammock tighter so the suspension is at a shallower angle.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by jraffini View Post
    If you don't already have a structural ridge line on your hammock, it might help to use one, and that would allow you to get your desired sag while having the ability to use less angle on your hammock suspension. That's at least what I've experienced. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!!
    i do have a SRL on the hammock and your right having less of an angle on the hammock suspension does allow me to hang the tarp lower / closer, the only thing is that when hung in such a manner the SRL becomes guitar string tight. is it possible to hang the suspension at too low an angle generating to much force on the suspension lines?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Have you tried offsetting your hammock and tarp? Have hammock come off one side of the tree and the tarp come off the other? This should give you some more space to bring the tarp ridgeline down a bit further so that you can get the sides lower as well.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Are you using a v for you tarp where the crl goes around the tree and back and the hammock suspension goes up through the v?

I would think with the Maccat deluxe that you'd have enough coverage. You said you felt like you didn't have enough, but did the wind blow the rain in or did you have any actual ill effects.

I used the HH stock tarp in heavy ran with no problem, and have a deluxe waiting for me at home to use in WA when I go out there in couple weeks.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33730
    Last edited by ciphoto; 06-04-2011 at 04:58. Reason: added link

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast