Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

New Hanger with kids

Hey guys & Gals,

I've been lurking for better than a year. Last year I intended to start, getting a ENO doublenest and a JRB 11x10 tarp. But I got my girls up in the snow and put up a four season tent instead.

Later in the spring I got a cheap hammock with bug net (which my youngest daughter flipped while at Yellowstone, ripping out the bug net!).

I camped this year in about 2' of snow in a four person tent, still scared to hang in the freezing cold.

Last week I went and bought another couple of ENO doubles and got my friend to get one. We all slept out (4 hammocks, 5 people) over Memorial day weekend here in Washington State. I ended up selling one of the ENOs to another friend.

I've been reading a lot and watching Shug, HammockProf and Kayt's videos.

I had some questions that I haven't seen an answer to:

Aysmmetrical hang - Does my ENOs do this, or does it have something to do with how the hammock material is gathered in the end, or something to do with the ridgeline or with the differential cut when the hammock is assembled? I saw that the HH and the WBBB both mention it. I was looking at the HH Deep Jungle Asym double layer XL with zipper and the WBBBs. Anyone used both? What's the difference?

I saw that a lot of people are going to woopie slings for weight savings. Is that as fast to set up as straps and beaners?

Should I get snake skins for my JRB tarp - will it save me a lot of time and effort folding my silon tarp?

I have 4 kids. I was thinking of taking my 13 yoa girl hanging, but can I put the tarp over both of us and stay dry? I was looking at Clark's double, but I'd rather not spend the money. Anyone have advice on how to hang two hammocks side by side under one 10x11 tarp?

Will I notice a difference in the hang of a ENO Double and a WBBB?

Thanks for the info!!!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer.
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post

Anyone have advice on how to hang two hammocks side by side under one 10x11 tarp?
    One good way is to anchor the foot ends of both hammocks to the same tree, then anchor the head end to two closely spaced trees. This way both hammocks are oriented in a close v-shape, both should be able to fit under the tarp.

The hard part is finding trees that are positioned and spaced in a way that will allow you to set up camp this way.

-Mitch

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Hey guys & Gals,

I had some questions that I haven't seen an answer to:

Aysmmetrical hang - Does my ENOs do this, or does it have something to do with how the hammock material is gathered in the end, or something to do with the ridgeline or with the differential cut when the hammock is assembled? I saw that the HH and the WBBB both mention it. I was looking at the HH Deep Jungle Asym double layer XL with zipper and the WBBBs. Anyone used both? What's the difference?
    I am non an asym guy, but I believe it has to do with how the material is cut - none rectangular. there is a sticky on building a non-asym on one of the forums. With the BB it has to do with the added footbox and shelf added to one side.

I saw that a lot of people are going to woopie slings for weight savings. Is that as fast to set up as straps and beaners?
    I don't know that they save enough weight to be worried about. I find them to be very simple to use and can make up a pair in a few moments. I haven't used straps and beaners - can't compare, but can't imagine there would be anything easier than whoopies.

Should I get snake skins for my JRB tarp - will it save me a lot of time and effort folding my silon tarp?
    The quickest way to pack the tarp is to stuff it - no folding needed. The snakeskins are nice as well. They can be helpful on a windy day as you only need to unfurl one end at a time. If you a a DIY person these are an easy project.

I have 4 kids. I was thinking of taking my 13 yoa girl hanging, but can I put the tarp over both of us and stay dry? I was looking at Clark's double, but I'd rather not spend the money. Anyone have advice on how to hang two hammocks side by side under one 10x11 tarp?
    I've also seen two larger trees used, with the suspensions running off opposite sides of the trees. This works well with small kids - if she gets up in the night she will wake you as the hammocks bump. For an older child, I think the method mentioned in the earlier post is better (you probably don't want to be bumping togehter in the nite.)

Will I notice a difference in the hang of a ENO Double and a WBBB?
    I'll leave this for the WBBB users. I think most people do.

Thanks for the info!!!
    You are welcome.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I weight 285 lbs and am 6ft2

I have a Black Bird and a ENO DN.

Aysmmetrical hang - This refers to a hammock whose shape is not symmetrical, such that if it were folded in half along the long axis, the two halves would not match. This is a technique used to allow for a more comfortable 'diagonal' lay in the hammock by creating more room for the head and feet.

The BB has a footbox that allows you to place your feet in it and lay at an angle for a very flat lay. At times I will sleep on my sides curled up and either way I am comforatble.

The ENO DN is wide enough that I can place my feet on one side of the hammock and my head on the other side. I do not get as flat of a lay as the BB but its not bad. I would not be able to do this in a regular ENO as it would not be wide enough for me.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Welcome to the forum! I've got 6 little timabababalukas that I plan to get up in the air this summer (don't know how that's gonna happen just yet--I'm still in the design phase ), so I appreciate your challenge.

Anyone have advice on how to hang two hammocks side by side under one 10x11 tarp?
    A good way to get 2-in-1 tarp coverage is to use a spreader bar. I've seen a few posts that have done this, but Detail Man's spreader bar is the most recent (as well as easiest to set up and take down). His explanation in post #8 is really helpful and helps illustrate (albeit verbally) how the spreader bar works. When I DO get these kids hanging, I'll probably pair them off with some spreaders very much like his.

One way or the other, it's nice to have you here. Figuring stuff out is half the fun. Keep us posted on your family's future adventures .
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the idea. I saw the other post on the double hang.

A separate question: would a structural ridgeline in the ENO change the hang and/or make it more comfortable? I was hoping to give it more of a flat hang...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    A separate question: would a structural ridgeline in the ENO change the hang and/or make it more comfortable? I was hoping to give it more of a flat hang...
    The ridgeline makes it so that you have the same hang every time. What that hang is depends on you and the length you determine for your ridgeline. Shorter = more sag (easier diagonal lie). Longer = less sag (more flat).

A lot of folks make their structural ridgelines adjustable so that they can play with their sag and dial it in more easily (plus, some people's preference for the amount of sag change over time). You can use a whoopie as a structural ridgeline, or just use strong cordage of your choice and tie a taught-line or an adjustable grip hitch to make it longer or shorter (I just use an adjustable grip hitch). Once you have it adjusted to where you are most comfortable, just keep it there, and you will have the perfect set up every time.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Thanks for the idea. I saw the other post on the double hang.

I put an adjustable ridgeline on my ENO DN. It made a huge difference in the lay. IMHO it is MUCH better with the RL.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Silnylon
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    Hello from a fellow Washingtonian. There are a few of us around, and I believe we are planning a gathering in August if you are interested.

If you need or want to check out others' gear, it's a great time to see it. Otherwise most people will usually just be happy to meet up and share if you are local.

Where abouts WA are ya?

Hopefully you were able to have all of your questions answered. And always feel free to ask more!

Enjoy!

~Mindwalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Wet end

Quote Originally Posted by Mindwalk View Post
    Hello from a fellow Washingtonian. There are a few of us around, and I believe we are planning a gathering in August if you are interested.

If you need or want to check out others' gear, it's a great time to see it. Otherwise most people will usually just be happy to meet up and share if you are local.

Where abouts WA are ya?

Hopefully you were able to have all of your questions answered. And always feel free to ask more!

Enjoy!

~Mindwalk
    Mindwalk,

I'd love to go to a meet & greet. I'm up in Arlington.

Everyone - I'm thinking about trying some mods to my ENO Doubles, like changing out the biners on the end and using a whoopie sling and ridgeline. Can I use paracord or should I get some 'raw' amsteel, or get the premade whoopie slings from somewhere?

Would it be hard to sew some no-see-um to the ENOs? I saw DIYgearsupply had a bunch of stuff and I was thinking about zippers and such...

Rod

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast