Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

ThermaRest Haven

Has anyone seen or used one of these? A little pricy but pretty cool, Basically a top quilt with a hood. 20 degree rating 22 ounces.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re.../haven/product
    Last edited by ewok; 06-03-2011 at 13:09. Reason: Add link
    If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Hammock
    1.1 Dbl WBBB/Traveler
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    They just took a chapter out of Big Agnes' book. They stopped putting fill in the bottom of their bags because its compressed anyways, so they just made a sleeve for their pads! Check em out

http://www.bigagnes.com/

They also have a memory foam pad cover I would like to get my hands on

Yes I have seen one, a bud of mine had one! The design is pretty neat, but the only thing I didn't like was that there was no real way to vent it! With normal bags, and quilts all you need to do is open it up if you get too hot or for whatever reason, but with the Haven you don't have this ability really, now you could lift up the side and vent but it doesn't really stay put so you would have to keep your hand there, or something there, to keep it open!
    It would work in a hammock very well, you would run into the same vent issues though!
    Also in the description they say you can put the pad inside it, well my bud did this and slept in a shelter/hostle/cowboy camped and I forget what else he said he did, but, the bottom part that is under you upper back and shoulders has down in it (at least his did) and he said that unless you were on a tent floor or something like that the material would get terrible snags in it, and he showed me his and almost all the down was gone and it looked like swiss cheese! So basically don't do it, lay on top of your pad! He said that it was pretty close to the temp rating, good for 3 season use, but he never tried to push it to the actual rating of the bag, he said it would suck for anything but colder temps as the venting just becomes a pain!

Not sure if this helps ya, I know he eventually returned it, not sure what he got to replace it yet though, we don't really talk anymore, so!?!?!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If I were going to buy something like this I would get one from one of our cottage guys. I guess what struck me looking at the hood was, what if one were to take a TQ and make a detachable hood that secured with small snaps up near the shoulder area. When it was needed, just snap it in place and you get the full mummy bag effect. Just thinking.
    If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by ewok View Post
    If I were going to buy something like this I would get one from one of our cottage guys. I guess what struck me looking at the hood was, what if one were to take a TQ and make a detachable hood that secured with small snaps up near the shoulder area. When it was needed, just snap it in place and you get the full mummy bag effect. Just thinking.
    You almost have something like that already available at JRB!

Here http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hood.htm
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    interesting Ewok, thanks for posting! i didn't know a mainstream company was making something like this. i think we are going to see an explosion in hammock camping. i like the "secret handshake" feeling in our community but you can't keep all that comfort to yourself i wonder what weight of down they are using?
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Quote Originally Posted by sweetbabyd View Post
    i wonder what weight of down they are using?
    Haven™ 20F (-6C) Top Bag

Haven™ 20F (-6C) Top Bag

* Description
    * Specs
    * Awards

The new Haven Top Bag provides serious ounce-counters with the ultimate synergy between mattress and bag, challenging the convention that you’ve got to sacrifice comfort to travel light. Its unique, zipperless design takes advantage of inherent mattress warmth, eliminating the need for redundant and unutilized insulation. The resulting weight savings, premium 700-fill down and versatile mattress integration options create an EN-certified warmth rating of 20F (-6C), an impressively sleek 1lb 6oz (624g)* weight, and a new standard of ultralight comfort on the trail.

*70" Size Regular.

* Ultralight Warmth: Eliminates zippers and unnecessary fabric and fill beneath you to achieve EN 13537 -6C (20F)-rated comfort at just 22 oz (624g).
    * Technical Performance: Durable 20D nylon shell, and 700-fill down combine with a full hood, modified foot box and wrap-around coverage to provide reliable warmth with minimal draft.
    * Exceptional Versatility: Can be strapped to any mattress, used on top in warmer weather or slip a tapered ProLite™ or ProLite Plus mattresses inside for maximum cold-weather performance.
    * Unparalleled Comfort: No more sleeping like a mummy, trying to find out which way is up, or searching for your zipper — we’ve delivered room where you want it without excessive gaping for maximum efficiency.

Made in China
    View specs in printer-friendly format
    Regular Large
    Color Pewter Pewter
    Weight 1 lbs 6 oz / 624 g 1 lbs 8 oz / 695 g
    Fits Up to 5' 10" (178cm) Up to 6' 4" (193cm)
    Girth, Shoulder 60 in / 152.4 cm 60 in / 152.4 cm
    Girth, Hip 60 in / 152.4 cm 60 in / 152.4 cm
    Girth, Foot box 40 in / 101.6 cm 40 in / 101.6 cm
    EN 13537 Comfort 30 F / -1 C 30 F / -1 C
    EN 13537 Comfort Limit 20 F / -6 C 20 F / -6 C
    EN 13537 Extreme -10 F / -23 C -10 F / -23 C
    Fill 700 Goose Down 700 down
    Fill weight 10.6 oz / 300 g 11.6 oz / 330 g
    Liner fabric 100% Nylon Taffeta, 30 denier. Fabric is calendared to achieve down-proofing. Liner material is 100% Nylon Taffeta, 30 denier. Fabric is calendared to achieve down-proofing.
    Shell fabric 100% Nylon Riptop, 20 denier, DWR finish Shell material is 100% Nylon Ripstop, 20 denier, DWR finish.
    Country of Origin Made in China Made in China

Chosen by National Geographic Adventure magazine as one of 26 most groundbreaking products for 2010. "It's been a long time since a sleeping bag could boast true innovation, yet the [Haven] Top Bag has done just that," wrote Adventure West Coast Editor Steve Casimiro. Selections were made by the editors with input from a Retail Advisory Board composed of 34 of the leading U.S. Outdoor Retailers.

This was copied and pasted from the website!

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    ah - 700 down! i should put on my glasses! thank you CB!
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

No problem!

• + New Posts