Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    CW 12' All Season
    Insulation
    HG 10 Econ, SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps+J Bend Knot

Walls of Jericho report....

I am back home after spending last night at the Walls of Jericho in Alabama.

To begin with.... it was HOT. LOL! Believe temps were 95-96 with very high humidity.

I first pulled into the horse trailer parking lot and was the only one there. I realized I was in the wrong parking lot, and was about to leave. Another vehicle rolled up. Just so happen it was a guy there that had came to hammock camp with some friends (also in hammocks). None of them are on here, but I invited them to come along.

We got to the right parking lot and met up with his group. I tagged along with them down to the camping area. There we met several others. I believe Jerry, Eric, and David were some as well as a couple others (horrible with names).

Anyway, we setup camp and throughout the night several others would roll in. The temp dropped down to low 60's and took me by surprise. I just had a no sew PLUQ with me (was going to bring a bed sheet as TQ but forgot it). I had the PLUQ setup as an UQ but about 3 AM I was quite chilled and took it into the hammock with me as a makeshift sleeping bag. I was able to curl up and get decently warm.

To my surprise I slept QUITE well. Probably the most I've ever slept in the woods. LOL! Guess the heat took it out of me.

Next morning I woke up around 6AM Eastern. Eric was already up and David was stirring. We knew we would be leaving early so we decided to head out to the Walls. We made it to the walls but there was VERY little flow. We were able to scramble up the walls easily and check out everything. What an amazing place! We even saw some other hammockers near the falls tucked up in the trees. They were quite camouflaged.

Anyway, we had breakfast there overlooking back down the falls. After that we headed back to camp. We broke camp around 10 and headed back up.

What a GREAT trip! I got to meet several people and everyone was just great. Made some great new friends. I can't wait til the next trip!

Hammock
    5 DIY's and a Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images
    It was a great trip. Temp wasn't quite as cool second night. Hiked out this morning around 7am. It was great meeting everyone. I'll add my pics to this thread later.
    If God had meant for us to sleep on the ground,
    He wouldn't have created trees....

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    It was really nice seeing some of you again, and meeting some new faces. I hope everyone finished their hike out today! It was very warm when I left camp, and it was still early.

Thanks for showing us your dual-mode gathered/bridge hammock, hangnout... Your DIY projects are excellent.

Get that EpiPen replaced, more!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    1.1 Dbl WBBB/Traveler
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peg-Leg View Post
    It was a great trip. Temp wasn't quite as cool second night. Hiked out this morning around 7am. It was great meeting everyone. I'll add my pics to this thread later.
    Really wish I could have made it! Hopefully there will be another trip when its a little cooler haha

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had a good time meeting everyone. The Walls is an interesting location and I can imagine it would be even more spectacular when the creeks are flowing more. I think it would make a great Spring or Fall destination.

I uploaded my pics and one short video clip here:

Walls of Jericho

Jerry

Edit: For those that asked, her's a link to the chair I was using: Alite Designs.
    Last edited by JerryW; 06-06-2011 at 08:02.
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    I uploaded my pics and one short video clip here:
    Great photos! Thanks for sharing!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip!

I'm with Wogs - would love to join ya'll when its much cooler - like late fall

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It was really nice to meet everyone. I wish I was better with remembering names so we must do this again for a memory refresher. Sam & John it was good to see you guys again. Jerry, thanks for the company for the climb out, sure made time pass faster. Hope your drive home was not too taxing. Great pics and thanks for sharing.

Dale

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    It was another great hang for me and it was nice seeing some old friends and meeting new ones as welll........It was Mandydawns first hike of any kind what so ever and I am proud to report that she made it out and is still smiling, eventhough she did threaten me with bodily harm whlie we were walking out!!!!! It had something to do with me being almost like Jillian Micheals and her stabbing me with her hiking poles, this caused me to chose another course of action to try and make the hike out easier for her.............I am happy to report that she is on the couch now nursing some sore legs and is looking forward to the next hike and hang, as long as its a slightly less arduous walk out......We hope to see all of you again in the future and recommend to those that did not get to make this hang to make a trip to the Walls. It is a beautiful and awe inspiring area and should be seen, just make sure that you have a weekend to see it all!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Woohoo, we made it out alive! I tell you what that is one heck of a climb in and out of that place. Over 1000ft change in elevation. But it was worth it. The walls were beautiful. It was pretty dry, but still really cool. I'd go back next spring when there is more water. We repelled down where the water fall was supposed to be.
    Next time I am either camping or climbing, not both. My climbing gear weighed 15lbs by itself. My whole pack came in at 40lbs. So now I get the whole ultra light movement. Also found out that my DIY bug net was not as nice as I thought.

It was great meeting all you guys and gals in person. So who's planning the next hang for the South?

oh and P.S. It's good that it didn't rain because I didn't bring my blue tarp. And what was waiting on my front steps when I got home? My OES MacCat Deluxe! Who was it that said gear always arrives while you're on a trip?
    Last edited by SpaceCadet; 06-06-2011 at 07:05. Reason: because I wanted to add...
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast