Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest

Hi from Missouri!

Hey folks!

I just got interested in hammocks and hammock camping over Memorial Day weekend. We have a thing called the Pedaler's Jamboree that takes place on the Katy Trail here in Missouri. I didn't bike it myself this year due to work (I had friends that were there, luckily, so I crashed in their tent - and I got to see the Ozark Mountain Daredevils play Jackie Blue in a Missouri field with fireflys buzzing around - how great is that!?), but I also wanted to be there to see how bike-campers did it since that is something I've been wanting to do for some time now.

I saw a lot of tents, and I have a couple myself, so that was nothing new. A lot of the folks had their gear bussed over as well, instead of carrying it, since it was a family friendly kinda thing - kids and parents on bikes cruising down a trail with music and food along the way - gotta love it!

I did see some wicked nice touring setups that had me drooling. I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker that is itching to carry some gear!

Anyway, in the morning, I took a walk down a trail that lead to an old bridge over a creek and off to one side I saw a bike next to a tarp with a hammock underneath it, pitched near the creek outta all the noise and clutter...

...this, said I, is wicked cool! But, it was early and I didn't want to ask silly questions about his setup since it seemed so simple.

So, when I got back to town, I started looking around and it turned out a local store had a sale on the ENO Hammocks, so I bought one!

My journey begins.

My first attempt at home was ok, but not what I'd call 'secure' since the hooks I used at first (aluminum bike hanging hooks) bent almost to failure!

Then, I found a set of cheap 'Porch Swing Ceiling Hooks', much better:

Anyway, I'm here to learn. I loving hanging - it helps my back a lot, so much so, I tossed my mattress and box spring in the dumpster after my first night in my hammock! I plan on biking with a hammock/tarp setup this summer on the weekends as much as possible. Definitely need a mosquito net down by the river!

- BetaMO

PS: SHUG's Videos are CLASSIC!! Should be required viewing for any newbie. I've hiked the Superior Trail and wish I would have met him there!
    Last edited by BetaMO; 06-05-2011 at 02:09.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Welcome to the wonderful world of hanging Beta. It's a great way to camp, swinging in the breeze.

And be sure you read up on the inside hanging threads we have here if you plan to continue hanging indoors. I'm sure you don't want to accidentally pull your walls down.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of hanging Beta. It's a great way to camp, swinging in the breeze.

And be sure you read up on the inside hanging threads we have here if you plan to continue hanging indoors. I'm sure you don't want to accidentally pull your walls down.
    Thanks for the greeting - hanging is the way to go, if you can, for sure! What about desert camping ()....I have a LOT to learn!

As far as indoors hanging, luckily, I live in a solid apartment building built back in the day when construction meant something (bricks and beams and such) - I hope!
    Last edited by BetaMO; 06-05-2011 at 16:59.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    welcome to forum, i'm new to all this as well. What size bolt did you use to anchor into the wall?

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WL Snipe,DIY,WB XLC
    Tarp
    HG,OES CF
    Insulation
    Yeti,Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Welcome from SW MO.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. Gone to fulltime hanging also, wife won't let me toss the bed yet.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

• + New Posts