Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest

Hi from Missouri!

Hey folks!

I just got interested in hammocks and hammock camping over Memorial Day weekend. We have a thing called the Pedaler's Jamboree that takes place on the Katy Trail here in Missouri. I didn't bike it myself this year due to work (I had friends that were there, luckily, so I crashed in their tent - and I got to see the Ozark Mountain Daredevils play Jackie Blue in a Missouri field with fireflys buzzing around - how great is that!?), but I also wanted to be there to see how bike-campers did it since that is something I've been wanting to do for some time now.

I saw a lot of tents, and I have a couple myself, so that was nothing new. A lot of the folks had their gear bussed over as well, instead of carrying it, since it was a family friendly kinda thing - kids and parents on bikes cruising down a trail with music and food along the way - gotta love it!

I did see some wicked nice touring setups that had me drooling. I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker that is itching to carry some gear!

Anyway, in the morning, I took a walk down a trail that lead to an old bridge over a creek and off to one side I saw a bike next to a tarp with a hammock underneath it, pitched near the creek outta all the noise and clutter...

...this, said I, is wicked cool! But, it was early and I didn't want to ask silly questions about his setup since it seemed so simple.

So, when I got back to town, I started looking around and it turned out a local store had a sale on the ENO Hammocks, so I bought one!

My journey begins.

My first attempt at home was ok, but not what I'd call 'secure' since the hooks I used at first (aluminum bike hanging hooks) bent almost to failure!

Then, I found a set of cheap 'Porch Swing Ceiling Hooks', much better:

Anyway, I'm here to learn. I loving hanging - it helps my back a lot, so much so, I tossed my mattress and box spring in the dumpster after my first night in my hammock! I plan on biking with a hammock/tarp setup this summer on the weekends as much as possible. Definitely need a mosquito net down by the river!

- BetaMO

PS: SHUG's Videos are CLASSIC!! Should be required viewing for any newbie. I've hiked the Superior Trail and wish I would have met him there!
    Last edited by BetaMO; 06-05-2011 at 02:09.

• + New Posts