Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    I don't even try to zip up a mummy bag in the hammock - much easier to use it as a quilt and use a balclava/hat combination for my head
    I've thought about this, and the quilt option seems quite popular. I *really* like to sleep with just my mouth & nose poking out of my mummy bag though - the difference in my overall warmth when doing this is substantial. I'll have to try this next time to see if the balaclava keeps me as warm and see if I can get accustomed to sleeping with one on. I tried it for a few minutes last night and it just seemed uncomfortable, but it may be that my balaclava is just too tight-fitting as I have a fat head... I can see though where many people would feel the opposite, with the mummy pulled over their head as claustrophobic and the balaclava less restricting.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. Don't know why I got the foot/head higher reversed, but in my haste yesterday I didn't go back and re-check prior posts to see if I remembered correctly.

--Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I've thought about this, and the quilt option seems quite popular. I *really* like to sleep with just my mouth & nose poking out of my mummy bag though - the difference in my overall warmth when doing this is substantial. I'll have to try this next time to see if the balaclava keeps me as warm and see if I can get accustomed to sleeping with one on. I tried it for a few minutes last night and it just seemed uncomfortable, but it may be that my balaclava is just too tight-fitting as I have a fat head... I can see though where many people would feel the opposite, with the mummy pulled over their head as claustrophobic and the balaclava less restricting.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. Don't know why I got the foot/head higher reversed, but in my haste yesterday I didn't go back and re-check prior posts to see if I remembered correctly.

--Kurt
    Try one of these:

http://www.bozemanmountainworks.com/...wproduct&id=90

so whats the lowest temp that you guys have hung around in? My wife and i hung out at percy preist on Christmas eve 21 deg. Whonderful hang with a HH and no underpad. We both had 40 deg bags and she has reynauds syndrome. I on the other hand don't get cold until 25-30 deg. We had a great time. but our feet got a little cold any one have a solution for foot freeze with an HH? Looking forward to hanging out more with yall coming up here soon.
    If there's time to do it over there's time to do it right the first time. -- A.M.P.

ps. now she has a zero deg bag she should be fine. anyone have a under insulator for HH wondering how they work?
    If there's time to do it over there's time to do it right the first time. -- A.M.P.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    Chemical foot warmers work wonders for the feet when you are cold hanging!

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SthrnAMP View Post
    so whats the lowest temp that you guys have hung around in? My wife and i hung out at percy preist on Christmas eve 21 deg. Whonderful hang with a HH and no underpad. We both had 40 deg bags and she has reynauds syndrome. I on the other hand don't get cold until 25-30 deg. We had a great time. but our feet got a little cold any one have a solution for foot freeze with an HH? Looking forward to hanging out more with yall coming up here soon.
    I could never get to 21 degrees without some kind of underpad, CCF, quilt or something; especially with a 40 Degree bag!

I find that vapor barriers for my feet in extremely cold weather work well; I use old bread bags and layer a sock liner, bread bag, wool sock. Works for me.

My coldest temp is 17 Degrees using two CCF pads w/ an SPE, a 15 Degree bag (used as a quilt) and a layer of mid-weight thermals.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

i am notoriously warm blooded so the temp thing is really not an issu for me but i worry about my wife she gets so cold so easily because of her condition she really toughed it out that night. We had the "hot hands" all through our sacks but they didn;t seem to help too much. plus i hate getting in my bag with shoes on...the vapor barrier seems to be the ticket. If i knew how i would post some pics here for you guys to see...one of them is the video camera covered with ice...
    We got some great shots if someone wants to help me out i'll show you guys

aha i have figured it out

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast