Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthless79 View Post
    I like that snugpod a lot mac. Wv do you have any pics of your setup? Now the wheels are turning thanks guys.
    Sorry, no pics. Each year at Mt. Rogers I intend to take pictures, but everything gets covered up in either tarps or snow. Maybe next year.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    While having a peapod attached to a hammock might sound handy. I don't know that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
    If the primary goal is simplicity, it is hard to get any simpler than hanging a peapod on a hammock. By NOT having it attached, the option to tighten and loosen it to allow for adding insulation or venting are still there. With it fixed, it's a one config pony.

The main benefits of a peapod are its flexibility. Hanging loose or tight. Adding insulation BETWEEN the peapod and the hammock. Being able to use the peappod for camp insulation.... all of those and more.

Having the peapod NOT fixed also means that you can use it on other hammocks in your collection, and that the other hammocks can be used without the peapod.

Further, I don't know about you, but my hammocks get laundered far more often than my down. My hammock is more prone to get dirty than my insulation and as such, the ability for a quick wash and dry of a hammock combined with a periodic peapod cleaning is replaced with the need to launder the combo and spending 4-6 hours drying it.

Like I said, it sounds neat...but i prefer mine removable. On top of that, if you want to leave it attached and stuff it in your pack that way, there's nothing stopping you as is with no mod required.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Suspension
    Stock WBBB straps
    Ah that sucks. Does your insulation cover the full length and up the sides in your hammock and did you put baffles in? Also what style of hammock did you do was it a clone or a standard gathered end?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthless79 View Post
    Ah that sucks. Does your insulation cover the full length and up the sides in your hammock and did you put baffles in? Also what style of hammock did you do was it a clone or a standard gathered end?
    I'll assume you're talking to me, not Wisenber. His post was thoughtful and well-reasoned (i.e. - did not suck).

I'll try to answer your questions, but I agree that pictures would be easier to understand, and seeing it in person would be best of all. My equipment is all DIY and somewhat unusual, so it's hard to make comparisons to other hammocks.

Yes the hammock insulation covers the full length and up the sides of my hammock, but I lightened my hammock by cutting off the ends and parts of the sides (all the parts that weren't supporting me) and replacing them with a lot of 120 lb. spectra cords (about 20 cords on each end) that are adjustable because I spliced a tiny whoopie sling into each one. So, I'm only insulating the fabric around me. There are longitudinal baffles and down filling. It once resembled a gathered end hammock with insulation, but only briefly.

My insulated sock covers only the hammock body, not the little strings on each end. It is a sandwich of Climashield Green and Insultex between two layers of 1.1 ripstop nylon.

To further complicate matters, I didn't mention that I use a hammock tent with a footprint about 2' x 3' (diamond shaped) - just enough room to stand on when I get out of the hammock. It gives total protection from the wind. Over that, of course, is my tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    WV - You've got to start posting more pics! Stuff that innovative is hard to picture with just words.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Suspension
    Stock WBBB straps
    WV you did answer my questions but agree with knotty. pics pics pics!!!!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    WV - You've got to start posting more pics! Stuff that innovative is hard to picture with just words.
    IF you've ever seen them in person you'll wonder how the heck he does not get all tangled up. looks like a combination of origami and a puzzle box. Still, I didn't hear him complain about being cold at Mt. Rogers.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    IF you've ever seen them in person you'll wonder how the heck he does not get all tangled up. looks like a combination of origami and a puzzle box. Still, I didn't hear him complain about being cold at Mt. Rogers.
    No tangles. Got a bit warm and had to shed my long johns. The top center zipper on the sock/pod makes temperature control fairly easy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12