11 ft Netless w/sock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I'm glad my first tarp was a diamond. Makes you learn about wind, rain and coverage first hand. Also the two tie outs instead of four or six make it easier.

Hammock
    Dutchwear/Hennessy/WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG/JRB
    Suspension
    whoopie /dutch
    Images
    thanks Knotty, makes my buying choice easy.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi there, first post so I thought it should be a question - why is a hex tarp valued more than a square or rectangle set up in an A-frame?

seems like you can fold the wings in to make doors if needed...

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    why is a hex tarp valued more than a square or rectangle set up in an A-frame?

seems like you can fold the wings in to make doors if needed...
    If you want full coverage, including doors, the a hex tarp is not valued more than a rectangular tarp. For the very reason you pointed out, creating the doors with the additional fabric.

A hex tarp shines when you can get by without pitching a tent around your hammock. : )
    If you're more experienced and know a bit about site selection and weather or if you're living in an area with a mild climate and/or you prefer fair weather camping, then a hex tarp is smaller and lighter and thus easier to carry.

Hammock
    WBBB, Night Owl,WBRR
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex, WD13
    Insulation
    AHNR, LocoGP, AHRC
    Suspension
    adj. web, whoopie
    Thanks for the post Knotty
    “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by babaloo View Post
    If you want full coverage, including doors, the a hex tarp is not valued more than a rectangular tarp. For the very reason you pointed out, creating the doors with the additional fabric.

A hex tarp shines when you can get by without pitching a tent around your hammock. : )
    If you're more experienced and know a bit about site selection and weather or if you're living in an area with a mild climate and/or you prefer fair weather camping, then a hex tarp is smaller and lighter and thus easier to carry.
    thank you for your reply. I am wondering what would be a good size for a rectangle tarp - Etowah Outfitters 8x10 Silnylon tarp is on sale for $75.

worth it, or go larger?...

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and fairly new to hammocks in general as this is my first season using them. I did however get bitten by the DIY bug and as such just finished building my first hammock tarp. I chose to build a "winter' tarp because of the ultimate flexibility it offers - Pitch it high or in porch mode for clear weather and extra ventilation, suck the doors in for a Hex shape, close the doors and pitch it low for maximum coverage etc. Yes, it weighs a little more than other options (mine came in at 15.75 oz.) and that is what brings me to the purpose of my post. As I read through this thread, I couldn't help wondering what the real weight differences were between all the tarp shape options and if it would be enough to make a significant difference in pack weight. It's not a bullet proof calculation but I think you will get the point...
    I DID NOT include estimates for tie outs or hardware in my numbers. These numbers estimate the fabric weight only. They also DO NOT allow for saved fabric weight due to cat cuts or added weight of thread or seam sealing. I used the actual weight of 1.1 oz silpoly fabric (1.24oz/square yd) published on ripstopbytheroll.com as my fabric weight. With that, here you go - I hope this is interesting and helpful...

Rectangle - 11x10 = 15.15 oz.
    Hex - 11x10 (Standard narrowing to 6ft at short end of hex) = 11.71 oz.
    Square(Diamond) - 11 x10 = 7.58 oz.
    Winter w/ doors - 11x10 = 15.85 oz.

Conclusions:
    - There isn't a ton of weight savings (3.44 oz.) between a rectangle and a Hex. The rectangle provides more coverage, and some more versatile options in pitching (folding corners in as doors in bad weather, more shade etc.) that may make those extra 3.4 oz. worth it in the end if you're not counting grams.
    - A full winter tarp is less than an once (.7 oz.) heavier than a rectangle and really opens the door to versatility in pitch options and maximizes coverage in any weather condition. Seems like a no brainer compared to a rectangle EXCEPT that it becomes potentially more complicated to set up with additional tie outs.
    - A Hex is not a lot heavier than a diamond (4.13 oz.). I keep reading that diamond tarps are the way to go if you're looking to cut weight. Yes, they are lighter, but only slightly. To put it in perspective, 4 oz. is the weight of 1/2 cup of water. I doubt that will make make anyones life miserable over any distance. 4 oz. is defiantly worth not getting wet in your hammock.
    - The heaviest option (Full Winter) at 15.85 oz. is only 8.27 oz heavier than the lightest option (Diamond) at 7.58 ounces. The difference is literally the weight of one cup of water.
    - If you are really counting grams and want good coverage, the Hex wins again but the main thing I took away from this was that when you are working with todays light weight fabrics (and you can get a lot lighter than silpoly) you really don't gain much by sacrificing coverage at all. It's a matter of a few ounces that can be better saved in other areas than risking coverage in inclement wether situations - especially when they get really bad in remote country.
    Hope this was helpful!!

Hammock
    10' 1.0 dh darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incu-Sniv-Pepper
    Suspension
    All of 'em
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote911 View Post
    I DID NOT include estimates for tie outs or hardware in my numbers. These numbers estimate the fabric weight only.
    Thank you for taking the time to calculate this all out. Unfortunately I believe the reinforced tieouts, guy lines, and stakes (and other little pieces of bling) would contribute considerablly to the bulk of the weight. 2 tie-outs on a diamond vs. 8 on a winter tarp definitely adds up.

I'm out of pocket for a bit but I'll post the weight of tie outs etc. when I get back. It will make a difference for sure but it will be interesting to see exactly how much.
    To me, there is a premium value for simplicity in the set up process as well. Fewer stakes and tie outs translates not only to a lighter pack but quicker setup times and overall less hassle. I'm not experienced enough with hammocks yet to judge how that simplicity translates in a truly bad weather situation. I do know however, as a lifelong backpacker, that when you get caught in a truly rough storm with strong winds and rain or hail small amounts of weight savings or simplicity aren't worth it by a long shot. It becomes even more clear when those storms last for multiple days in a row. Whatever your possible situation, it's critical to strike the right balance. Camping out of your car and 30 miles away from civilization at 10,000 feet will require different gear.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    I just decided to read through this thread today, since I had some time. I have an Asym, a Hex, and a full winter tarp with doors, and just ordered a custom 12' diamond. To me, there is a time for any of them - some trips require the full doors version and nothing else for me. For fair weather, when i know it's not going to rain, I'm taking a diamond for ease of set up and just some shade. It's a HYOH type of thing -

Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast