Trek Light/SLD/Hammeck
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing /CB

Southfork Snake River, Idaho

Finally..... the rain & snow stopped, and the sun started to shine. So we hit the river for the first weekend float of the year. This was not only the first float of the year, but my first time into the great outdoors since having a total knee replacement 8 months ago. Rehab has been painful, tedious, and frustrating. I was nervous about being on my raft again with the new (and still weak) knee. Fortunately all went well. The weather was spectacular, and we had a great time. I finally got the chance to "test drive" some new gear I purchased over the winter & spring (retail therapy).

We spent two nights & three days on the Southfork Snake River, below Palisades Reservoir, east of Idaho Falls. The water was very high (almost flood stage), and fast, which wasn't a problem for us, but has made fishing on this blue ribbon fly fishing stretch a problem. Not good for the outfitters. Oh well, it just meant we had the river all to ourselves. The first night saw temps around 30 degrees, so it was a good test drive for my Hammock Gear 3 Season Incubator & Burrow. No problem. Toasty warm, with no cold butt syndrome. Second night was a little warmer. Snug as a bug. Comfy cozy all night long. I didn't want to come out of my "pea pod" in the morning. We also tested out my new 12 X 15 OES tarp over the kitchen area. Worked great. My river buddy was impressed with the workmanship & light weight.

My set-up ......
    Trek Light double hammock
    Hammock Gear 3 Season Incubator & Burrow
    Sleeping clothing - light weight poly-pro top & bottoms, Smartwool socks, Black Rock hat.
    MacCat Deluxe tarp
    Breathable UQ protector from 2QZQ - took along but didn't use

I had some moisture on the underside of my tarp each morning, and frost on the outside the first morning. No dripping inside the tarp though, and all quilts were dry. The ground was very damp. I brought the UQ protector, but didn't need it, as my UQ stayed perfectly dry. Other than shortening the end shockcords of the Incubator by making a loop in them, and snugging up the end channels, I didn't need to do anything else to get a good fit on the Incubator. It stayed in place all night, even with some moving around in the hammock. I was very comfy both nights, and slept very well with minimal tossing & turning. No sore hips, back, or shoulders in the morning.

It was a great weekend, and a much needed "wilderness therapy" session for my soul.
    KJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Great report. Super pictures.
    No rapid running this trip? Just fast boiling water?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    It is nice to know someone is getting out and enjoying the rivers. Thanks for rubbing it in.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Bravo to you and this test drive of your new knee! How'd it fare overall?
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & Switchback
    Tarp
    Mega Ogee & OES 4S
    Insulation
    Way too many
    Suspension
    WBBB Web Strap
    What a great river. I have spent many an overnight on it with Worldcast Anglers. Just seeing the pictures gets me dreaming about big Browns and Rainbows.

Hammock
    Trek Light/SLD/Hammeck
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyHackle View Post
    What a great river. I have spent many an overnight on it with Worldcast Anglers. Just seeing the pictures gets me dreaming about big Browns and Rainbows.
    Sorry to say, but the fishing stinks right now. Water is high and off color. Southfork Outfitters told us that they have taken a few people down, but that the outflow from Palisades will likely stay high until mid-June.

Law Dawg - My knee was ok, but still not as strong as I'd like. This trip was pretty easy, with no climbing around on rocks. I took my friend's dog for a few short hikes around our camp area. My friend says I walk a lot better now. I don't walk like a penguin like I did before surgery.

Out and Back - no rapids, just high, fast water. Made stopping exciting though. We saw lots of bald eagles, and had deer in camp one morning.

KJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Nice outing and glad your knee was up to the task. Loved the kitchen setup and the eagle.

Do you have any other trips planned this year? I am counting days until my Yampa trip. Should be an interesting year for whitewater, with the snow packs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, HH Explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:HH hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag,KAQ
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Thanks for telling us about your trip. Glad your knee held out. It will get better and strengthen over time. Pics look awesome. Must be a cool trip to get out on those boats!

Hammock
    Trek Light/SLD/Hammeck
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    Nice outing and glad your knee was up to the task. Loved the kitchen setup and the eagle.

Do you have any other trips planned this year? I am counting days until my Yampa trip. Should be an interesting year for whitewater, with the snow packs.
    All the Utah rivers are crazy high right now, and going higher as the weather finally warms up. There are some areas that have had almost 600% snowpack for the year. Yampa/Lodore/Deso should see historic high water this year. Wear a wetsuit or drysuit, and stay in your boat !!!!!!!

My next trip will be mid-July on the Rogue in Oregon. I've never done the Rogue before. It looks beautiful. My rafting partner has done it once. After the trip we will spend a day or so on the coast before heading back to Idaho/Utah. August we'll be back on the Main Salmon, then Middle Fork in September.

I'll be bringing my hammock set-up all summer, and crossing my fingers for decent trees to hang from. I'll have to carry my tent & cot along as well for the river camps without trees. My friend was really surprised at how warm I stayed this weekend in my hammock. He thought I was going to freeze to death, but I was warmer than he was in his tent.
    KJ

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    CRG thanks for the great report and pics. knee replacement - how did that happen to fine young things such as ourselves? glad you got out - did you really have all that cool gear in your raft? fun and luxurious!
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy