Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    DIY cat hex
    Suspension
    MSH/whoopies
    I bought some digital camo fabric over the weekend too, and it was unmarked as to material. It feels like the same weight and texture/slickness as rip-stop nylon, but I wasn't sure what it was. I wonder if it's the same stuff y'all are talking about here.

Let me ask: does the fabric you're talking about have rectangular 'grids' that look like rip-stop nylon but slightly smaller? How wide is the bolt from selvedge to selvedge? Mine measures 62". And it only has the camo pattern on one side. The other side is not colored, but you can see the camo pattern through it.

I weighed it on my kitchen scale. It comes out to something like 2.16 ounces per square yard (assuming they gave me exactly 4 linear yards of material, although I usually get a bit more than what I'm paying for). I was assuming that this is 1.9-oz rip-stop. Am I wrong?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Let me ask: does the fabric you're talking about have rectangular 'grids' that look like rip-stop nylon but slightly smaller? How wide is the bolt from selvedge to selvedge? Mine measures 62". And it only has the camo pattern on one side. The other side is not colored, but you can see the camo pattern through it.
    This is not ripstop anything. It is a printed fabric. Ripstop is woven into the fabric and would be visible on both sides. Patterns that show up on one side only are printed in fabric dye. If the pattern is the same on both sides it is woven in with colored threads.

This does not mean the fabric is not usable. Only that it is not ripstop. The weight of the fabric would make it practical and strong for a hammock. The fact that it is a printed fabric means the colors are not going to be as permanent as a woven pattern. (for the price... big whoop.) The lack of fiber content means you will need to make sure the hammock is dry before you put it away. Not a big deal in most cases. Enjoy it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    @Tobus, It sounds similar. Without being able to compare the two fabrics side by side it is impossible that we are talking the same thing.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    DIY cat hex
    Suspension
    MSH/whoopies
    This is not ripstop anything. It is a printed fabric. Ripstop is woven into the fabric and would be visible on both sides. Patterns that show up on one side only are printed in fabric dye. If the pattern is the same on both sides it is woven in with colored threads.
    I think we may be having a miscommunication. As I understand it, what makes ripstop fabric is the thicker threads in the weave that are at regular intervals. When a rip starts, it can only go so far as the next larger cross-thread before it stops. Is this right?

The material I'm talking about has this, and is distinctly visible from both sides of the fabric.

The printed pattern is only on one side, but that shouldn't have anything to do with whether the fabric is ripstop or not.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    The material I'm talking about has this, and is distinctly visible from both sides of the fabric.
    In that case you are correct. It is a ripstop fabric. I've seen material which looks like ripstop but is not. That pattern is printed on.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

The material I saw was ripstop as it had the "squares" in the weave of the fabric. I can't remember if the pattern showed on both sides or not though.

Webbie

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Might the fabric in question

be the same as used in 65/35 BDU trousers and shirts?

If so, it ought to be strong enough for a hammock, but I wonder if it would be as comfy as nylon, as it should stretch less. Justh thinkin'.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12