WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Bamboo question

A question for those who have experience with bamboo:

I'm going to build a bamboo hammock stand similar to turtlelady. I couldn't find a bamboo dealer anywhere near where I live, so I have to order online. The bamboo itself is dirt cheap, but shipping costs more than my order due to the length: I would like to use bamboo for the "ridge pole" as well, which means it has to be ~3m.

I'm now wondering if you could use 2 shorter pieces - in this case probably around 1,50m - and use a short (let's say 50cm) piece of a large diameter as a connector. The idea is to slot the thinner bamboo sticks into the bigger one. Anybody know if this 3-piece ridge pole would be able to hold up a loaded hammock?

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I'm also hoping to try a 3-piece ridge pole...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    You might have trouble with your joiners splitting. You may have to wrap the ends in strong tape to prevent this.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I'm now wondering if you could use 2 shorter pieces - in this case probably around 1,50m - and use a short (let's say 50cm) piece of a large diameter as a connector.
    Saw that I didn't write this clearly: the connector piece is supposed to be bamboo as well.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Saw that I didn't write this clearly: the connector piece is supposed to be bamboo as well.
    I am not so sure this will work. The reason fitted poles work is the connections don't have much, if any, lateral movement. If you don't have a tight fit here the considerable stress would likely split your connector, or your poles, whichever is on the outside.

I suppose it all depends on how you rig it. If you can keep stress off of that connection and there is only compression, it could work.

Looking forward to your progress!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I lived for several years near Kaiserslautern and never saw any bamboo (except at a local zoo). Rather than bamboo I'd think you could use some small pine/fur saplings instead. Every time I took a walk in the local forests I'd see various sizes of dead downed timber that was being thinned from the forest. I also saw some larger/longer timbers that were still standing and dead. You might try putting some of this wood to use. It may not be quite as light as the bamboo but the price is right.

For a "connector" I'd go with a piece of steel or aluminum tubing. You should be able to whittle down one end of a dead sapling to the right size. The pair would go together sort of like a fiberglass tent pole.

Good Luck...

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    I am not so sure this will work. The reason fitted poles work is the connections don't have much, if any, lateral movement. If you don't have a tight fit here the considerable stress would likely split your connector, or your poles, whichever is on the outside.
    Thanks, I had a feeling that this might be the case. Do you think that connecting the 2 ridge poles with a rope (with an overlap of say 50 cm) might work?

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I lived for several years near Kaiserslautern and never saw any bamboo (except at a local zoo).
    Yes, I never saw bamboo anywhere either. But when I started looking online, I found that there are quite a few big shops scattered across Germany. Just not anywhere near where I live. I would also have a problem transporting anything this long. Considering this, the shipping costs are not that bad.

Rather than bamboo I'd think you could use some small pine/fur saplings instead. Every time I took a walk in the local forests I'd see various sizes of dead downed timber that was being thinned from the forest. I also saw some larger/longer timbers that were still standing and dead. You might try putting some of this wood to use. It may not be quite as light as the bamboo but the price is right.
    The problem there is, that you can't just take away wood from the forest. I would have to find out whose forest it is and then ask if I can take or buy some of the wood. I can't just walk away with 7-8 pieces of 6 foot long saplings...

I also had a look at the local hardware and gardening supply store; they have wood, but it is a lot more expensive than the bamboo and of course heavier. I would probably end up paying about the same as with ordering the bamboo online. But the bamboo stand is, of course, a lot lighter. Which is a good thing, seeing that I have no experience and kind of expect ending up on the ground, with the structure lying on me

For a "connector" I'd go with a piece of steel or aluminum tubing.
    That's what I thought as well. But up to now I haven't found anything that I could use. But I'll keep looking.

I think for the moment I'm going with at least one 3m bamboo ridge pole, and then experiment with other options. At least this way I'll know that I'll be able to hang again soon.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Oops,
    I guess I'm a German felon then. I never cut any living trees but I was never afraid to take a few poles that were already down. The local loggers had some kind of huge harvester that made "roads" or maybe some kind of firebrakes through the forest. Everything they cut just went into big piles with the scrap limbs from the other operations.

Eventually they would bring in a big machine and mulch it all but most just sat and rotted. I'm not sure how the whole place didn't go up in flames with all that dry kindling laying around.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well, I guess it's different in different forests. The forests near me are neatly kept. There are piles with logs, but you can see that these are not scrap wood. I assume they'll be sold to sawmills or local people making fire wood. Carrying off 7 long poles (provided I could find the right size) will probably attract attention. I guess as a forest owner, I wouldn't be amused about people taking my wood either. But maybe I'm too German

• + New Posts