Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite

Huge Fabric Find!!!

Some of the people here may be as excited about this as me. Tonight I was just dorking around Wal-Mart (I talked my friend into buying a ton of fishing stuff so I can have some company embarking on my other passion...fishing), and I went by the fabric. What I found was 14.5yds of spinnaker (spelling?) fabric. I was so amazed, and yes it was $1/yd. I am so pumped because I was about to buy silnylon over the internet and pay $5/yd. I'm not sure if this is as awesome of a find as I think it is, but so far everything I've done to test it has shown me that the fabric is 100% waterproof! I'm so pumped about making a tarp. The reason that I think its spinnaker is, besides it being waterproof, it makes that loud rustling noise when you crumple it. Just thought I'd share that, and give some hope to the Wal-Mart fabric shoppers like me. Also, anyone who has had experience with this fabric, is it worth getting excited about. All I know about it is that gossamer gear has just come out with The One and it is made out of this fabric. Let me know what you think about this stuff. Thanks in advance for the input.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

now you must weigh it, so we can be envious of how light is it!
    Congrats! Betsy

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    I would, but I haven't gotten around to buying a scale yet. Prolly ought to do that.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

That's quite a score!

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    so I've been told that this might be a PU nylon coated nylon with a crisp coating. I know nothing about this. It is super thin (thinner than any fabric that I've ever had anything to do with) and 100% waterproof. I don't know exactly what it is thought. Either way it is hopefully going to make me a few tarps.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Not that I know much of anything...but PU coated nylon wouldn't be any thinner than nylon. That's just how my reasoning works. Nylon + coating = something thicker than nylon. No? I assume you're familiar with the different nylons. Once again I'm a super-noob, so take this with a grain of salt.

isint spinnaker fabric a polyester base? thatt could be silnylon, but i thought it was different then spinn. check out the spinntex at thru-hiker.

regardless, thats excellent. what color is it?

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    ? PU coated stuff would be quite possible, silicone impregnated stuff would be within the realm of possibilities, but I really don't know about spinnaker cloth... If it was some of the $1 a yard stuff that means that it was used by one of walmarts manufacturing companies and it is extra at the end of a run so you would have to wonder what walmart was making out of such an expensive fabric... Any which way you cut it though, it sounds like you got a kick but deal on some prime tarp material and I'm more than a little envious. So what color is it man, if you say digital camo I might cry a little.
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    haha no nickel it isn't camo, its a royal blue color. I set it out last night with a puddle in it rubber banded over a jar. Woke up this morning and still had a puddle. I go to get my machine picked up from the store today and its back to sewing tonight. I feel like I'm going to have a pretty awesome tarp when I get done. Thanks for the help guys, sorry I don't know for sure what I'm working with.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    *sniff* I'm so jealous!
    Soon as I get my hammock done, I'll be using the cheap blue tarp I picked up from the dollar store. Unless I make a find like yours, I'm stuck with it (or some sort of plastic).
    However, your find does provide motivation! I'm heading home next week for spring break and will check the walmarts there. I know there's at least two with fabric sections.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast