WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Up hill and down Dale

A long weekend here in Perth was the perfect opportunity to get out and do a bit of a hike with friends but most importantly give our kids a taste of camping. Our chosen destination was the Mount Dale hut, one of the campsites along the Bibbulmun Track, a long distance walk track here in Western Australia. We weren’t going to be setting any distance records with only about a km and a half walk in but with all of the kids carrying at least some of their gear it was enough of a taste for them.

View to Mount Dale

My daughter and I were going to be the only hangers on the trip with the other families all sticking to the ground. I was taking my WBBB 1.0DL hammock whilst my daughter was to be using a homemade hammock. The forecast was for a cold night (well by our standards anyway!) of about 5°C so I’d gone prepared. My daughter had a sleeping bag rated to below zero and she’d tested it in the backyard to about 5 and been fine so she should be set. In a backyard test I’d been a bit on the cold side in my summer Crowsnest and burrow so I’d taken along an old down hostelling sleeping bag to add supplementary warmth.

The plan had been to set up my daughter under a DD tarp and myself under a Superfly tarp but due to the spacious nature of the Superfly I was able to rig up both my daughters and my hammocks under it without any problems. A very impressive piece of kit!

Both hammocks under the 'Fly

Superfly setup

The forecasters weren’t wrong with the temperature predictions and as the sun started to sink the temperature started to drop and with not a cloud in the sky we knew we were in for a cold night. One of the kids was doing his cub campcraft badge so he got a nice fire going and we all side around chewing the fat and roasting marshmallows around the fire until the warmth of the hammock/tents beckoned.

It must have been a sign of how toasty and comfortable the hammock was in the fact that I managed to sleep through until gone seven the next morning. I think I’ve finally nailed setting up the Blackbird to get the perfect and comfortable hang.

After a lazy start to the morning we had a pleasant walk out retracing our steps of the day before. My friends were impressed with the hammock setup, I think there may be a couple more converts soon. All the kids had a great time and plans are already afoot for the next outing.

Getting two thumbs up

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like a fine time....wish it were still cold here. Fun to see different foliage as well.
    Glad ya'll slept goodly.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Great looking setups and glad the kids enjoyed the time outdoors. Keep them going and it will be a special place for all of you.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    Had a 10km hike and a brief test hang out at Bells Rapids this weekend just gone myself.
    Took my 6 yo and he held up well.

The numbers for a Perth hang are looking prettty good now.

Just goota get the planets to align!
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Images
    Sounds like and excellent outing! Good to share time with you child like this. Long lasting memories! Gotta love the space the SUPERfly gives! Excellent trip report!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Looks like a fine time....
    Shug
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    ... glad the kids enjoyed the time outdoors. Keep them going and it will be a special place for all of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    Sounds like and excellent outing! Good to share time with you child like this. Long lasting memories!
    It was indeed a good trip and hopefully everyone on the trip walked away having had a quality outdoor experience. Somehow the pic below sums up the trip for me.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    wow that superfly looks HUGEEEEEE!! thats almost a selling point seeing that picture great report
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    wow that superfly looks HUGEEEEEE!!
    Well that's because it is HUGEEEEEE!
    Before I got the superfly I'd used an Aussie hoochie, then moved on to a DD tarp. The superfly is larger than both of the above but also lighter and IMHO far more versatile with the doors. Using the side pull outs creates a huge area on the inside and the whole thing can be closed up to keep out the weather. A great piece of kit

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    oh I believe you. you just dont see alot of pics with it fully pulled out to its potential
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts