Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite

Help With Hammock Design...!

Me and a couple of friends went to a local park to do some camping (and try out our new hammocks), but we ran into some problems. First off, his line just broke and he didn't want to deal with it so he slept in the backup shelter that we had brought. I on the other hand didn't have my hammock break, but I did also have some problems. First off, I just slid to the center of the hammock. I didn't really mind this, but if it is possible I would like to fix this. Also, I woke up with a horrible back ache. I did notice that the position that I had slid to had my feet higher than my head. I'm not sure if this is a pitching problem, a design problem (we used this design), or something else. Please someone help me. I really like the idea of hammock camping, but I have to fine tune it so I can be comfortable. Also, I'm a side sleeper so if there is a way for me to sleep on my side, that would be best. Thanks so much for all the help ya'll!
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    HI
    First off you say your mates line broke? which line was it? where did it break?
    Then you say you slid to the centre of your hammock. did you hang it with lots of sag?
    Do you have a structural ridgeline fitted?
    You will find that because of your upper body weight, your body will slide down and your feet will go higher. if you set your hammock up with the foot end higher this may fix that problem.
    as for your design link, I only get a page with fire lighting stuff on it happens every time I go there.

post some more details and I am sure you will get lots of help from the other guys and gals here.

Gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Here's the correct link.
    I can't be of any more help than that, though. Sorry!
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll get all the help you need here though!

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    How were you laying in the Hammock. Were you laying in it stright down the middle, or off on a digional to the ceter of the hammock. I have found it to be more comfortable on the digional, but others like stright down the center line, so see what works for you. As for you feet being higher, it does seem to me to be a pitch problem. One rope was probably tied off shorter than the other one. Also check to make sure that were you had tied off to is as symectrical as possiable. This will most likely help, espically if your laying in you hammock "on the digional". Dont forget to ckeck out Just Jeff's site, it helped me out a goodf bit when I was first staring out.

http://www.tothewoods.net/

Another thought is that maybe it has something to do with the way you whipped you ends. Check JJ site for some better detials on that little subject.
    Last edited by Bulldog; 03-03-2008 at 10:08.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    guys I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about the link for the hammock setup on my website. I think that I'm having trouble with the people I go through because I have tried at least five times to get it right, but it just won't work. I'll have to spend some time tonight getting it figured out.

Thanks froldt for posting the spot on my blog that has the insturctions.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    I have been looking at ridgeline stuff and I think I want to put in a sturctural ridgeline, but I don't know how. I also want a very tight pitch with my hammock, will this make the hammock easier to pitch tightly? I have to get a tight pitch so I can lay almost flat.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    I have been looking at ridgeline stuff and I think I want to put in a sturctural ridgeline, but I don't know how.
    There's a howto section on this page.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    I have been looking at ridgeline stuff and I think I want to put in a sturctural ridgeline, but I don't know how. I also want a very tight pitch with my hammock, will this make the hammock easier to pitch tightly? I have to get a tight pitch so I can lay almost flat.
    I think that you might be trying to lay in your hammock "incorrectly". (There's not a wrong way, but there is a way that might help your back.)
    If you pitch your hammock more loosely, making a banana shape, you will be able to lay in your hammock diagonally, in respect to the center line of the hammock. I believe that you might be currently laying in it parallel, which will cause your body to curve, following the hammock. A diagonal position will enable you to lay flatter, and hopefully more comfortable.

The "perfect" distance between the ends of the hammock varies from person to person. A ridgeline helps to keep this distance fixed, once you figure out what is perfect for you.

• + New Posts