Hammock
    Various
    Tarp
    Henessy Rainfly
    Insulation
    UK Hamm. Winter UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Well, nothing supernatural but soon after I finished recording this video I did let slip a "WTF was that" when one of these started barking near by.

Another unsettling sound that has given me goosebumps a number of times is that of rabbits/hares that are injured or killed. Sounds too much like a hurt child.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Insulation
    Modded Sleepin Bag
    Suspension
    Salvaged Seatbelts
    Images
    Oh wow this is a groovy thread, I camp because it's spooky, LOL. I know it sounds crazy. Every time I am out, an animal encounter gets my adrenaline pumping. There are some animals out there I do not want to mess with. Just three weeks ago, I climbed out of bed at 3 am to alleviate some pressure. When off to my right into the jungle about 150' away i can hear crunching twigs and thrashing of palm fans. At last, I can see the bushes moving in the gloom of my head lamp. I have no Idea what kind of creature is making a bee line toward camp, I made a loud noise to try and deter what ever beast was approaching. My friend woke up and blinked in the light of my lamp and asked me " what's up?....." before he realized the fauna was shuffling and swaying right in front of us. He froze stayed in his hammock. The time came for our fears of being mangled in the night by a wild pig or a Florida panther to present itself in full glory! The grasses parted, and out came a pair of armadillos, one larger following a smaller one in a true zig-zag fashion. As I watched this all play out, I still could not get it together enough in the deep a.m. to film the event. To my amazement they trudged right into camp and walked onto a small tarp my friend had under his hammock. It was then the First and smaller armadillo realized she was behind enemy lines and panicked. The other followed suit as they split up and plowed through the underbrush in opposite directions and made a loud racket in the bushes and palm for a good 3 or 4 minutes afterwards. We laughed so hard.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Great thread. My only solo overnighter in my hammock was a sleepless night as I listened for every crack of a twig or movement in the brush. To be honest it was one of the quieter nights in the woods (no animal noises) except for a pack of coyotes that was a couple hundred yards away. Part of the issue was being in unfamiliar woods and being unarmed. Still, I was never so happy to see dawn break.

If I had heard or experienced any of the stories listed here I don't know what I would have done. Having a creepy experience with a group of your buddies is one thing. Hearing a shriek in the woods at night when you are alone is altogether something else.

I was just reading about the Lewis Stringer campsite in the Sierra's.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/commu...php?f=9&t=7072

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Insulation
    Modded Sleepin Bag
    Suspension
    Salvaged Seatbelts
    Images
    I lived a good portion of my life 50 mile due west of Reno, NV. The little town called Portola, CA. ( 39.808775,-120.496106 ) This town is only still on the map because of the Feather River Railroad. runs right through there. Well in my Grandparents house, just outside of town about 3 miles there was a popular stage coach trail that used the road that the house was built on. This is my only Unexplained spooky story.
    Late one night I was having trouble sleeping when I heard hoof beats of a Horse outside on the street below. I jumped up to see why there was a horse out there. When to my goose pimpled amazement, I could hear the horse, but never saw it. There was and still is a street lamp out there. The sound faded but came back about 10 minutes later from the other direction. I jumped up again, ran to the window. Nothing. That was and still is my spookiest story. It did freak me out that night. I had to be like 11 or 12 years old at the time. I'm 40 next month lol.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Nice stories, but nothing to match what I've encountered over the years. I can only say that I have encountered many things and you people may send the men in the white coats if I mentioned what I've encountered. I would really say some of them were spooky.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nyhiker50 View Post
    Nice stories, but nothing to match what I've encountered over the years. I can only say that I have encountered many things and you people may send the men in the white coats if I mentioned what I've encountered. I would really say some of them were spooky.
    Awwww ... Come on, you can't just leave us hanging like that
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    Awwww ... Come on, you can't just leave us hanging like that
    Any one else interested?

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by nyhiker50 View Post
    Any one else interested?
    We need to know, for our own safety.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch / whoopies
    Tents are definitely spookier. You can hear the sounds but you can't see anything. I hate that. In the hammock I can raise up and shine the light out, or stand up and battle any night invaders lol.

Spooky and in the forest but not a camping story. My best friends sister and her boyfriend were out riding around late one night. They were driving down an old forest road (I don't know why they would have been doing that late at night lol) any way they were way back in the country around the Bankhead National Forest and all of a sudden they drove around a corner and right into a large group of people decked out in white hoods and gowns or some kind of outfit to that effect. Needless to say they reversed it and got the heck out of there. I don't if it was some kind of satanic group or kkk but it would have been freaky for sure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast