Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    thanks bud
    no problem brother
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The biggest difference, to me, between the Hennessy line and the WB Blackbird line is the positioning of the tie-outs. I find the Blackbirds (and old ElDorado) to have the superior positioning, particularly on the lower tie-out (ElDorado specific). On the HH models, the lower tie-out is just about where my knee rests. While this is great for side sleeping, as a back sleeper, it isn't so great. I find I have to pick between having my toes scrunched-up against the netting, or having my forehead pressed against the netting. Neither is a good option IMO.

As for materials, I think they both use top shelf fabric and netting. I know, from experience , that the HH netting will hold my body weight (230ish). Blackbirds don't seem to flip as easily, so hopefully I never get to test it. Still, out of the half dozen or so HHs I own, I've never experienced an issue with quality. I choose the Blackbirds over the HHs mostly due to comfort, which is a very subjective thing.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Earlier it was mentioned about legnth being more important than width. I can deffiently see that, especially for you taller guys out there. But I must say for me, being 5'7" or 5'8", width is far more important. I also like having the option of laying at a heavy angle. I feel that was the main difference in comfort for me from the HH expedetion to the WBBB.

If the HH had a model that was made with light enough fabric, like 1.1 ripstop or 1.5 and had a wider version that wasn't so long, I could give up the awesome features of the blackbird for it. Mainly for the slight weight savings. I would love to see warbonnet make similar hammcok that was dumbed down or maybe a bit smaller. Like 114" x 60" without the foot box or shelf, or maybe just make them smaller. But the present weight is still plenty light especially when compared to other full features netted hammocks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    sorry i wasn't keeping up with this thread...a PM works wonders
    yes i had and used a HH expedition for almost 2 years i'm sure i can dig up old pics if you really want me to....
    OK then, here you are. I knew you would be checking back in here shortly!

and i had the SS for a better part of 3 months and could never stay warm with it and would wake up in a puddle of condensation .... i'm sure if you search you can dig up old post about the problems i had with the HH SS ... .........as for the SS if you ask me it's not worth the money ... for $10-15 more you can get a UQ from Paul that will work 10000x better
    and save yourself alot of problems .....
    I bet I was communicating with you about that, many, many posts/threads back. I don't doubt your experience at all, and you are not the only one. In fact, it always makes feel a little bad about the way I recommend the HHSS, and then sometimes it works out so lousy for some folks. In fact, sorry if I was the main one who recommended it to you, which I may well have been. I may never quite understand the why of it, why folks respond so different to this system. But what can I say, it is what it is. And for me, I still- after 5 years- still find the HHSS to be one of the best solutions out there, and especially for the money, assuming you use HHs. I have never had condensation issues (YET!). I have never been cold unless I plainly exceeded what I think are the temp limitations ( 30s to 40s) which I think are reasonable for the weight and money. If it has been too cold, easily solved by adding whatever was handy down in the UC. And never had wind chill or sideways rain/snow problems, even using the small HH tarp, because of the wonderful blocking ability of the UC. Too bad it just does not seem to work for some folks.

i will say if i had to do it again i would buy the HH again... it was a nice hammock and was my first real camping hammock the only thing i didn't care for was the bottom entry and the learning curve on the tarp.. i learned the hard way since i wasn't a member in 07 when i got the HH ... so there were a few nights i woke up wet from rain
    Good to know. Looks like you were not that unhappy with the comfort of the HH, even with one of the shorter, smaller models!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

As for materials, I think they both use top shelf fabric and netting. I know, from experience , that the HH netting will hold my body weight (230ish).
    Yes, I also performed the same test my first night in it. Held up fine, every one agreed it was a testimony to quality!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK then, here you are. I knew you would be checking back in here shortly!

I bet I was communicating with you about that, many, many posts/threads back. I don't doubt your experience at all, and you are not the only one. In fact, it always makes feel a little bad about the way I recommend the HHSS, and then sometimes it works out so lousy for some folks. In fact, sorry if I was the main one who recommended it to you, which I may well have been. I may never quite understand the why of it, why folks respond so different to this system. But what can I say, it is what it is. And for me, I still- after 5 years- still find the HHSS to be one of the best solutions out there, and especially for the money, assuming you use HHs. I have never had condensation issues (YET!). I have never been cold unless I plainly exceeded what I think are the temp limitations ( 30s to 40s) which I think are reasonable for the weight and money. If it has been too cold, easily solved by adding whatever was handy down in the UC. And never had wind chill or sideways rain/snow problems, even using the small HH tarp, because of the wonderful blocking ability of the UC. Too bad it just does not seem to work for some folks.

Good to know. Looks like you were not that unhappy with the comfort of the HH, even with one of the shorter, smaller models!

Yes, I also performed the same test my first night in it. Held up fine, every one agreed it was a testimony to quality!
    yeah BB if i remember you were the one that was talking me through setting it up and trying different things to get it to work... yes,yes it was you now i remember you were very helpful like always
    yeah i know you had me try a number of things and i think i even posted pics so you could see what i was doing i think that tread was from back in the fall of 09 if i remember cause after that i sold the HH and the SS and got the WB traveler and also made my first hammock
    like i said i never knocked the HH hammock i will always have a special place in my heart for it but the SS ... lets not go there LOL
    the HH is a nice start hammock for someone that needs a cheap setup... but i always feel it's better to save up and get a WBBB since most users end up with one anyway
    but if i had to pick.. it would be the WBBB hands down
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Next time I will PM you, I do the same thing a lot. I'm not trying to "bash" anybody, just trying to get the facts straight. I speak my mind and that's what I was thinking at the time. Sorry it offended you guys, or anybody else, for that matter.

I just wanted to understand where your opinion came from, GLP. Now I know why you think switching from a HH to a WBB is "like trading in your moms old 1986 K car for a Hot rod". You had one of the smallest hammocks in their line-up with a bottom entry to boot. When you tell people what you think of HH's you could at least tell them which model you've tried. I'm almost positive your opinion would be much different if you had tried a zip version of a deluxe model like the DJ, Safari or Explorer. I'd be willing to send you mine if you'd like to give it a go. Doesn't matter if you like it or not, I just want you to try something in the HH line-up that has a zipper and is more proportionate to an adult man. This way you can have an understanding of what HH vs WBB is really like.

I am glad you're happy with your current set-up, though. Like I told Brandon, he has a great product, it's just not for me. The quality is top notch and so is the customer service. I will always recommend the WBB to people, as long as they're not asking me to compare it to my DJ.

Take care
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." - Thomas Edison

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Next time I will PM you, I do the same thing a lot. I'm not trying to "bash" anybody, just trying to get the facts straight. I speak my mind and that's what I was thinking at the time. Sorry it offended you guys, or anybody else, for that matter.

I just wanted to understand where your opinion came from, GLP. Now I know why you think switching from a HH to a WBB is "like trading in your moms old 1986 K car for a Hot rod". You had one of the smallest hammocks in their line-up with a bottom entry to boot. When you tell people what you think of HH's you could at least tell them which model you've tried. I'm almost positive your opinion would be much different if you had tried a zip version of a deluxe model like the DJ, Safari or Explorer. I'd be willing to send you mine if you'd like to give it a go. Doesn't matter if you like it or not, I just want you to try something in the HH line-up that has a zipper and is more proportionate to an adult man. This way you can have an understanding of what HH vs WBB is really like.

I am glad you're happy with your current set-up, though. Like I told Brandon, he has a great product, it's just not for me. The quality is top notch and so is the customer service. I will always recommend the WBB to people, as long as they're not asking me to compare it to my DJ.

Take care
    thanks for the offer but i have tried some of there other hammocks... there OK but there no WBBB.. i could never get a good nights sleep in a HH i did try the Explorer and the UL backpacker now if one came up dirt cheap i would buy it just to have it as a backup for a friend
    i would say i do like that the HH's come with a tarp... i think thats a great selling point for new comers to hanging ... and for the price you are getting a nice hammock.. but it's no WBBB

i will add that size was never a problem for me in the Exp. i just didn't like how the hammock felt and the bottom entry
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Well I have all 3 a blackbird, an expedition, and a safari. I like all 3 the black bird took the most getting used to and biggest learning curve of them all. I have still yet to pick a favorite, but wouldn't give any one up just yet either. I also have the super shelter too. I just need to get some more hang time in them all!!!!!!

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I still use the HH Symmetrical Expedition from way back when the originals came out. (had zippers put in) I really love the shoulder space from it. Also got an HH Asymmetrical and I find it is not nearly as comfortable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678