Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help a 1st timer choose a suspension system

Hey all. I'm looking forward to receiving a Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock today but I still need to figure out how to suspend it. I don't want complex parts or metal parts, so the only metal I might have is the s-hooks, which I believe come with the hammock. I like webbing/rope and knots...

I'm trying to pick between two systems. Keep in mind that I don't yet understand how different suspension systems affect comfort - I only see the difficulty level of rigging/adjusting.

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HSy_NMakPY I really like this simple system. Only thing I'll change if I end up using it is I'll get some short lengths of webbing to protect the tree.

The only other method I want to use (unless you can convince me otherwise) is two lengths of webbing - one on each end of the hammock.

I lean toward the first method because of weight and seeming ease of adjustability. Is there a reason this method would be bad?

Thanks

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Webbing is necessary to protect the tree IMHO. Cord alone does not have the kind of surface area needed to disperse your weight. Others can probably chime in as to this point.

As for ease, nothing easier than 2 pieces of webbing with eyes sewn each end. one piece goes around the tree, thread it through it's own sewn eye so now the webbing is cinching around the tree. take the webbing and pass it through a loop of cord, or, as is demonstrated at 2:01 of this video, a climbing rated ring; and tie a slippery half hitch and pass another loop through the loop created and cinch down.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Images
    Okay, this may give you a bit of info overload but it is worth the look.
    On YouTube - check out videos by "Professor Hammock" and "ShugEmery"
    The Professor is Grizzly Adams around here, he has a 3 part series on suspension systems. Lots of good ideas in that. Ropes, knots, webbing, whoopie slings and more.
    ShugEmery, who is Shug around here, has an entire series on hammocking for noobs. (Even though it is geared for newbies, everyone can get something out of these vids.) The videos are funny, informative, and a creative learning tool. I can't remember which video he talks about hanging a hammock and the different ways, 2 and 3 I believe, but I would recommend the whole series just for the laughs.

Personally I would get some webbing, toggles, and whoopie slings to get you set up. But that is my preferred method of set up. I can go from a bag to hanging in about 2 minutes with this method. Use the webbing around the tree, a marlin spike hitch with the toggle and the whoopie sling to go from hammock to toggle. Quick, easily adjustable to suit tree spacing, you get to tie a knot or two, don't harm the trees, and you spend more time enjoying the outdoors.

Welcome to the forum, grab a couple of trees and hang around!
    Help a Boy Scout Troop in your area - become a mentor.

God created Firemen so cops would have heros.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I've seen both of their videos and they really are awesome. I love how light hearted Shug's are.

I did consider the toggles and whoopie slings but wanted to go more basic.

Tendertoe, that is exactly the video I was basing my expectations on. Only thing is, I figured the other method MIGHT be better because there would already be a ridgeline for mosquito netting or tarp, and the sag would be more readily adjustable(just slide the prusik), AND rope is lighter. Again, I would use some webbing to protect the trees.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Welcome. You are going to have fun when that hammock arrives! Much you have read and seen will suddenly make a new kind of sense, depending on what you want out of your hang, when you have the materials in your hands. Most of us start one place and quickly begin tweaking again. Enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Moded Hammock Bliss Mosquito Free
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Sil
    Insulation
    Bag+pad
    Suspension
    Strap+Whoopiesling
    Images
    +1 on Professor Hammock's videos. He goes through several methods in detail.
    Here is a link to the first in Griz's series:
    http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...e_gdata_player

and +1 on woopieslings/toggles/straps. Very easy method and you can eliminate metal by using wood toggles.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Professor Hammock runs the gamut on hammock suspensions, sure enough.

I will say, however, that if you are looking for ease of setup, a couple of tree huggers (webbing), a whoopie sling (rope), and a marlinspike hitch (knot), are about as easy as it gets, and adjustments and fine tuning are a breeze.

It's funny. I resisted the whoopie sling for about six months--just seemed too darned high tech. But about a month ago I broke down, ordered some amsteel and made a pair. By gadfrey, it's been a little slice of heaven ever since, and not nearly as high tech as I imagined. Still, my experiences are just that--mine. Go where your heart tells you... it's all good. Good luck!
    Last edited by timabababaluka; 06-09-2011 at 10:59. Reason: too lazy to read
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello and welcome!

Different suspensions don't really affect comfort. The differences are ease of set up, weight, bulk and cost. What affects comfort is the amount of sag in a hammock, the kind of material used and the style wheter its a gathered end, or if its asymetrically cut or if its a bridge stlye.

What you are looking for is called a Single Line Suspension or SLS where the suspension is part of the structural ridgeline. You'll find some threads and videos on it here.

I believe in one of our mottos which is "hang you own hang" and I respect any set up anyone might have however there were a few things I think could improve his set up.

The first issue in the video is potential damage to the trees. Flat webbing as mentioned helps to spread out the force. In the video the hammock is too tight i.e. too horizontal which cause problems. First you cannot get a diagonal and therefore flatter lay and may end up hanging like a banana. You will see people mention 30 degrees from horizontal as a starting point for suspension. At 30 degrees the amount of force applied to each end is equivalent to your weight. Second, the closer to horizontal the hammock gets, the more exponential force is applied to the attachment points which translates to more tree damage, greater breaking potential of the rope and of course higher risk of injury. It didn't look like a prussik, it looked like a taut line hitch that he used. Another thing to consider is that knots can decrease the strength of rope. That is why many here splice lines or at least use knots in lines with very high breaking strength like amsteel.

As tendertoe suggested. Webbing at each end with cinch buckles for adjustment is very easy. Attach a strong, non stretchy cord for a Structural Ridgeline (SRL) and you will have a consistent sag and somewhere to hang a bugnet.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    Welcome aboard!!!
    I say keep it simple go to jack's'r'better and order the all in one kit, simple, light enough and... Well it works great!
    That's what I got and simply love it!

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Grand Trunk 10x10
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Go to Just Jeff's website and check it out. It really helped me when I was a noob.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html
    For suspension for a noob, I would recommend a ring buckle system. Read about it here.
    "You can fight, fight without ever winning,
    But you can never, ever win without a fight"
    -Rush

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast