Hammock
    Treklight double
    Insulation
    DIY sleeping bag
    Suspension
    metal rings

New Member needing so direction

Let me start with a quick intro. I'm a Scoutmaster for a BSA troop in Illinois trying to find new ways to Scouts interested in backpack camping. My first questions is should the Scouts BIY there hammock or just purchase one, and do you really save money building your own, scout are suppose to be thrift

Thanks
    Rudds

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to HF! I think it would be a fun project for the scouts to do to make their own. You could teach them how to splice Amsteel for Whoopie slings and if you or them have access to a sewing machine, they can even make their own hammock. As for cost, it can be much cheaper to make your own. I made my gf's in under an hour and under $20.00 Good luck and have some fun.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the HF! Fronkey's ideas of the amsteel whoopies and DIY hammocks are great. Can through in stuff sacks and such as well. IF you purchase, Grand Trunk UL hammocks are about $15 to $20 and the projects could include building ridglines, changing out suspensions and making some bug nets for their gear.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    I agree with the above. The potential for a group project would be fun, and is more economical, but if that is not desired, there are some cheap hammocks to be purchased out there. If mosquitoes are a problem, I can personally recommend the Byer Moskito Traveler. $40, bug net included. Still would need some sort of suspension. I find climbing webbing is the easiest and most readily available method.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    One way to get the boys interested in hammocks is for you to first start using one on any up coming trips. Even if you just set it up to "hang out in" during the afternoon, the scouts will notice it. And once they start asking you questions, let them try laying in it for a few minutes. If you've made this hammock, then you can tell them how cheap and easy it was to make and how light it is to carry.

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hammock Camping Merit Badge

I agree with many of the suggestions here! Making their own teaches then something and gives them a sense of pride. I am an ASM, and have gotten the Scoutmaster and at least one boy hanging already (working on others). Some members here, namely WLMiller54, put together an unofficial hammock camping merit badge. You may want to consider using some of the requirements and showing that to scouts. Here is the link to the discussion that went into creating the merit badge.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ng+merit+badge

Attached is a pdf of the requirements.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Scouts and Hammocks

Papa Smurf ie Randy I believe is in scouts and has several scouts that hang.

You should check out his website www.mydiygear.com.

http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/proje...ammock-kit.php

I just bought a Roaming Gnome hammock from him. He has some kits and instructions.

Randy is awesome.

Lester

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    My guys started hanging on backpacking trips because our Troop tents are heavy ALPS 4 person tents. Nobody wanted to carry them. After the first trip in a hammock, most don't want to go back to the tents. I usually make a big deal out of having them save the prime, level tent spots for the "ground dwellers" and hang well apart from others.

Since all my backpackers are older boys, hanging in a hammock has become a sort of a rite of passage. We let the Troop camp out in the open grass & all "the cool kids" go hang in the woods. Even though they're just a few yards away, I think they also enjoy the extra freedom from us adults and the younger boys. I'm waiting and hoping to see if some of the younger boys will want to take up backpacking and hanging.

As for DIY hammocks, I've never had any luck convincing any of my guys to build their own.

Hammock
    Treklight double
    Insulation
    DIY sleeping bag
    Suspension
    metal rings
    Papa Smurf,

I'm trying to get my older Scouts more interested in a High Adventure trip, Hoping the hammock idea will get them motivated and keep some younger scouts in scouting. Since most of your Scout haven't DIY their hammocks, which brands do they purchase the most .

Thanks
    Rudds

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by RUDDS63 View Post
    Papa Smurf,

I'm trying to get my older Scouts more interested in a High Adventure trip, Hoping the hammock idea will get them motivated and keep some younger scouts in scouting. Since most of your Scout haven't DIY their hammocks, which brands do they purchase the most .

Thanks
    Rudds
    I built most of the hammocks myself and sold them at cost. Between the Scouts and Adults in our Troop we have 2 Grand Trunks, 2 Hennessys, 1 Hammock Bliss, 1 Amazonas & 8 or 10 DIY models.

• + New Posts