Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Someone stole Alamosa's "boom stake" idea and they're available here: BOOM STAKES

- The original Banana Hammock

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Warbonet Super Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles

Two nail boom

This is an old thread to be dug up, but here is a brainstorm (or hairbrain) idea. The holes in the nails could be 1/8", 3/32", or even 1/16" if thin enough cordage was used, possibly Amsteel. The two nails are lashed (or pinned) together in the center hole and a small section of string (or cable) is used to maintain the angle by holding the end holes a set distance apart. If the nail is strong enough to hold in the ground, is it also strong enough to the be the boom?

I have 12"x3/8" nails on order to try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinDWhite View Post
    This is an old thread to be dug up, but here is a brainstorm (or hairbrain) idea. The holes in the nails could be 1/8", 3/32", or even 1/16" if thin enough cordage was used, possibly Amsteel. The two nails are lashed (or pinned) together in the center hole and a small section of string (or cable) is used to maintain the angle by holding the end holes a set distance apart. If the nail is strong enough to hold in the ground, is it also strong enough to the be the boom?

Patiently awaiting results of your test.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

I am guessing that the stakes will bend at the point you drill a hole in them. I think it will make a weak point in the stake.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...The two nails are lashed (or pinned) together in the center hole...
    Worth a try. I think connecting them with external (no hole) lashing might be better than running cord through the pivot hole. The pivot hole would try to act like scissors...or a nice steel pin.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12 feet
    Insulation
    Pad
    The boom stake looks interesting. I know this is an old thread but anyone actually use this product?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Alamosa to keep cord from slipping off of smooth stake, I use a multiple wrap pile hitch. Double cord and wrap bight around stake from top to bottom3 to 6 wraps then place bight over top of stake . Tighten by pulling sideways and ratcheting back and forth. It NEVER slides off top of stake and is great for pulling stuck stakes from hard ground. You can see how I tie multiple pile hitch in my YouTube videos.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by HandOfGod View Post
    The boom stake looks interesting. I know this is an old thread but anyone actually use this product?
    I use them every time I use my stand (probably 6-8 nights a year). I also made a set for my wife's girl scout program to provide a simple way to stake out their flag pole. It makes for very easy install and removal compared to the large stakes they used to use. I couldn't be happier with the way the have worked and held up with a lot of use.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Alamosa to keep cord from slipping off of smooth stake, I use a multiple wrap pile hitch. Double cord and wrap bight around stake from top to bottom3 to 6 wraps then place bight over top of stake . Tighten by pulling sideways and ratcheting back and forth. It NEVER slides off top of stake and is great for pulling stuck stakes from hard ground. You can see how I tie multiple pile hitch in my YouTube videos.
    Not sure that I am exactly picturing what you are describing (sounds like a variation of a klemhiest knot). I have never had an issue with a line slipping off using my current pin system. Given the how slick the pipe can be and how much I have hanging on its success (literally), I like having the guarantee of the pin.

Given that the boom is removed by pulling up on the rear, having the line attached to the end of the boom won't really be much assistance during removing it. I've never had any issue removing a boom. They lift out surprisingly easy given how well they hold.

The portion of the boom that extends beyond the stake will act as a lever to pull the stake up. I doubt the angular moment on the stake will be enough to overcome this. That leaves less stake supported in the ground and bending or tear out out becomes a problem I suspect.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast