Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raleigh Area?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Eno River park in Durham (next door to Raleigh) is nice, but no long trails. The longest set of loops is around 5 miles total. The Falls lake trail follows the southern side of the lake and is around 50 miles with lots of trees for hanging on.
    50 miles?!? seriously?

I had no idea.

Is this trail miles or does this follow roads as well like much of the MST does.

Going to have to look into this, Falls Lake is just over an hour away.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The Friends of the MST have recently posted this interactive tail map of the MST. http://www.ncmst.org/the-trail/interactive-map/

I found a couple of minor mistakes when they first posted it and reported them but it is a great tool
    Frosty Butt Hang Jan 2015 .................. Fat Butt Hang April 2015..........Hunger / Halloween Hang Oct 2015

neusioktrail.org ..................... Free Hammock Classes

I am 18 with 44 years of experience !

Images
    Looks like it will continue to grow quite a bit with the greenway. I knew there was trail up there but I had no idea the segment was anything close to that long. Not very conducive to doing a loop but a yo-yo or with a shuttle and you'd have an impressive section hike that's not far away at all.

How come this never gets mentioned when people ask about hiking around Raleigh?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Most people today think hiking is going for a walk inside a mall. Since hiking trails do not promote a lot of revenue they do not get much publicity and or advertising. If you want to find out about hiking trails, camping spots ect in an area you almost have to check sites like this one or White Blaze. Another good source for information is your local outdoor store (think REI or your local eqivelant).

Also check for local out door hiking clubs, local BSA troop and or check with someone who hunts in the area.

When you use a search engine, always try several variations on the subject you are searching for. Also try putting your search phrase in quotes.
    Frosty Butt Hang Jan 2015 .................. Fat Butt Hang April 2015..........Hunger / Halloween Hang Oct 2015

neusioktrail.org ..................... Free Hammock Classes

I am 18 with 44 years of experience !

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    I didn't even know it was there for several years and I live less than a 10 min drive from it.

Maybe we should plan a group hike/hang for a long weekend to work our way down the trail. Certainly plenty of trees and I know I'd like to check out other's setups.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Images
    Yea it sounds like a good place to do longer hike without having to drive all the way out to the AT.

It sounds like I also need to checkout the tobacco trail between Cary and Durham and I walked just a little ways down one of the trails today at Lake Johnson which provides a nice 5 mile loop that looks like it would be a great spot for a jog.