Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'm heading up tomorrow for a few days on the trail. Gonna start at gooseberry falls and hike up to Tettegouche at a nice old man pace. Gonna do some touristy stuff while I'm up there too.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doody View Post
    I'm heading up tomorrow for a few days on the trail. Gonna start at gooseberry falls and hike up to Tettegouche at a nice old man pace. Gonna do some touristy stuff while I'm up there too.
    That's a super section of the trail. Did a big chunk of that a few weeks back with Grizzly Adams, JerryW and Grizz's two sons.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Have a most fine ramble up there. Stay vigilant and positive. Take breaks and water up. Eat right.
    Enjoy it big time.
    I am envious of you there feller.
    Shug
    Thank you sir. I've been prepping for this for a few months now and feel I am ready for it. If he can get the time, Mr. Green said he is going to try and meet me for a few days of it, which would be nice to have some company. Regardless, it's going to be one hell of an adventure for this Florida boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Yeah I always find that bigger adventures with multiple people usually turn into solos because well.... that's life and things get in the way.

Have fun and look forward to your adventure!

Raul
    You're right about life getting in the way sometimes. It should be a great trip and I am excited about it. I have to revise somethings being that I'm going solo, but should have it all figured out by tomorrow night. Thanks again for your support dude.

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    You are likely to find yourself ankle-deep...or a bit more...in water along the northernmost section of the SHT, particularly the area around Andy Creek (first campsite headed south from Otter Lake Road) . Trail-finding along there can also be spotty in places. An extra pair of dry socks would (IMO) be a fine thing to have.

At least the weather forecast indicates that your dewpoints will be a lot less tropical than those in the Twin Cities.

Happy trails, Trev!
    Yeah, I was warned about the slop out there. Even about the deadly shoe stealing red mud. I will have a couple pair of socks on me at all times and have a clean pair of socks in each of my mail drops waiting for me along the trip.

I'm hoping it cools down a little bit out there, but being from Florida, the heat doesn't bother me that bad.

Thanks a lot for the tips and I'm sure I'll be seeing you on the trail soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Doody View Post

I did that section a couple weeks ago. Try and camp at Bear lake if you have the time. Beautiful place. Bummer that you'll be gone before I get up there, would have been cool to meet another forum member. Looking forward to your trip report and have fun out there.

Fronkey

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    while having a friend out on a longer trek is really nice for the company and comraderie and helping you along when you're tired or feeling a little homesick, i tend to find that i am more in tune with "nature" and the woods around me when i'm out solo. there is a certain awesomeness to being out there alone. i end up paying more attention to everything. it's no wonder i see most of my wildlife solo. maybe you'll find this to be true for you too.

glad to see your friend washing out didn't ruin the trip for you. gut check #1 passed...

a gallon ziplock bag, a few little pebbles, and some water can make a really handy washing machine if your socks get really filthy...

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Fronkey---off you go...best wishes. I know you expected to do this one solo, and from the exchanges about this adventure you and zombie were posting through facebook this outcome was pretty clearly coming. Probably for the best.

Godspeed, my friend.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    while having a friend out on a longer trek is really nice for the company and comraderie and helping you along when you're tired or feeling a little homesick, i tend to find that i am more in tune with "nature" and the woods around me when i'm out solo. there is a certain awesomeness to being out there alone. i end up paying more attention to everything. it's no wonder i see most of my wildlife solo. maybe you'll find this to be true for you too.

glad to see your friend washing out didn't ruin the trip for you. gut check #1 passed...

a gallon ziplock bag, a few little pebbles, and some water can make a really handy washing machine if your socks get really filthy...
    I agree. I am quite the talker and tend to not see wildlife and whatnot when I'm hiking with other people because I have trouble shutting up. So, I'm really hoping that I finally see a wolf up here in Mn.

Do you have a link to a video for that backwoods washer? That sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Fronkey---off you go...best wishes. I know you expected to do this one solo, and from the exchanges about this adventure you and zombie were posting through facebook this outcome was pretty clearly coming. Probably for the best.

Godspeed, my friend.
    Thanks so much Grizz. I'm going to go out there and give the SHT my all. I have been training hard for this and feel as though I am ready for it. I have an awesome itinerary planned out where I'm camping at some pretty cool locations. This time I'm equipped with a new camera and plenty of Memory cards. Thanks again for your support, I really appreciate it.

Fronkey

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    hehe. there is no video. gallon ziplock. toss in some stones and some water and shake

Hammock
    DIY gathered end w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey Fronk,
    Bummer to here you are solo... If I were able to take that much time off work I would be there in a second! I hope you have a great time out there and hopefully, you post a few vids... It might help "scratch the itch" for me to get back to the SHT! lol
    P.s. If you find time to go to the top of Carlton peak near Lutsen Mountain check it out. It's not far from the main trail and the views are pretty stellar..
    Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    yeti/burrow
    Sounds like a great trip. I might have missed it but when are you planning on starting your trip? I am planning on doing a couple day trip up there the end of the month and while I doubt I could keep up with the pace you have planned if you are having trouble with resupply I could definitely meet up with you at some point and drop off anything you need since we are basically neighbors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789