-first aid
    -duct tape
    -deet
    2 1L platy-2.5
    cuben bear bag kit-1.8
    defeet socks-1.3
    fuel bottle- 0.5
    this is just in the pack and is around 5.9lb
    Last edited by tonejones; 06-13-2011 at 19:41.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Suspension
    Stock WBBB straps
    That is a lot of stuff for only being 6 lbs.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    That my friend,, is impressive.I thought I was doing good at a base weight of 18lbs
    My setup is an anchor compared to yours .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I'd be checking I hadn't walked off without my pack if I was carrying that kind of weight, great work buddy

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Hate to burst the bubble...but SUL is Sub 5 pounds....Your at the heavy spectrum of U.L.

The Break down:

6-8 LBS LW
    5 LBS U.L.
    2-4LBS S.U.L.

Awesome work none the less. Now go field test it to see if it works. I know When I field tested my U.L kit I found that the GT Nano was way too small for me (slept in it alright..but was just too small for my big frame) and decided to stick with the WBBB until I can figure out what type of non WBBB to go with.

I will say this props to ya though. It is no simple feat to create a gear list like this and takes a lot of thinking things through. There is a lot of hard hard work involved and a lot of compromising of comfort items that go to the way side. I challenge anyone to do this even if in theory, just to be able to see what one can get away with.
    I think for us Hammockers it is even harder...when I was a ground dweller I had a sub 5 lb base weight and did it with out too much practice and was very"comfortable" with it. Hammocking is much harder just because some of the gear we have to take in order to be warm/safe is heavier to begin with or we need more of. OK enough of the thread steal.

CONGRATS TONEJONES
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Very very impressive. My old tent weighed 1.5 pounds more than your entire setup. I love hammocks.

We had Hammock night for scouts last Wednesday. Im teaching them early how to camp in comfort. You don't need to be miserable to call it camping.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    Hate to burst the bubble...but SUL is Sub 5 pounds....Your at the heavy spectrum of U.L.

The Break down:

6-8 LBS LW
    5 LBS U.L.
    2-4LBS S.U.L.

Awesome work none the less. Now go field test it to see if it works. I know When I field tested my U.L kit I found that the GT Nano was way too small for me (slept in it alright..but was just too small for my big frame) and decided to stick with the WBBB until I can figure out what type of non WBBB to go with.

I will say this props to ya though. It is no simple feat to create a gear list like this and takes a lot of thinking things through. There is a lot of hard hard work involved and a lot of compromising of comfort items that go to the way side. I challenge anyone to do this even if in theory, just to be able to see what one can get away with.
    I think for us Hammockers it is even harder...when I was a ground dweller I had a sub 5 lb base weight and did it with out too much practice and was very"comfortable" with it. Hammocking is much harder just because some of the gear we have to take in order to be warm/safe is heavier to begin with or we need more of. OK enough of the thread steal.

CONGRATS TONEJONES
    not to get off topic....

mugs from my understanding and from what has been used for years now
    is...............
    20-11 is LW
    10-5 is UL
    and anything under 5 is SUL

6lbs is not on the heavy side of UL
    most UL hikers pretty much go by this system of weights that i listed unless there has been some change i did not hear about in the last few weeks....
    in my eyes anything under 6lbs is great... my base weight for summer is under 8lbs
    winter i'm around 11lbs
    Last edited by G.L.P.; 06-12-2011 at 14:13.
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    not to get off topic....

my understanding

20-11 is LW
    10-5 is UL
    and anything under 5 is SUL
    thats about how ive heard it for more than a decade now. again, 6lbs is really impressive. to break the 15 lb barrier is pretty easy, to reach sub 10 is only for the hardest working. sub 10 is truly deserving of recognition. to reach 6 is not a question, in my mind, of what kind of gear to leave behind, but what kind of fear to leave behind.

of course, even this pack could improve.. for instance, the montbell down inner parka could be replaced by a modular system with the montbell Xlight jacket, and then a blackrock beanie, shaving off 3.4 ounces. the reed pants could also be traded in for a cuben kilt, shaving off 3 ounces. this may sound nitpicky and silly to some, but these are the steps needed to reach sub 5.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    thats about how ive heard it for more than a decade now. again, 6lbs is really impressive. to break the 15 lb barrier is pretty easy, to reach sub 10 is only for the hardest working. sub 10 is truly deserving of recognition. to reach 6 is not a question, in my mind, of what kind of gear to leave behind, but what kind of fear to leave behind.

of course, even this pack could improve.. for instance, the montbell down inner parka could be replaced by a modular system with the montbell Xlight jacket, and then a blackrock beanie, shaving off 3.4 ounces. the reed pants could also be traded in for a cuben kilt, shaving off 3 ounces. this may sound nitpicky and silly to some, but these are the steps needed to reach sub 5.
    thanks te-wa .....

yeah 6lbs is hard to hit.. even now that i'm under 8lbs.. 6lbs seems so far off
    but he did it... and it's a nice kit too
    funny thing was i was thinking the same thing about the cloths LOL ....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    GREAT, impressive list you have there!

Yeah, you're at the lower end of UL and I am IMPRESSESSED! Te-Wa has a great list, too.

I haven't begun to touch the levels you two have hit in a hammock. I have to go to ground to approach it - but still haven't come "down to your level"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast