Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Setting sag / ridgeline length with NX model

I have been using the visual suggestion of the zippered built-in bug netting to suggest the sag.

I inverted or removed the spreader rods, got out a tape-measure, and found that in following that visual guideline, I have been hanging much tighter than the 5/6 = 83% of hammock length solution than I thought, around 100 ridge-line inch length for a 108" hammock once I measured it ( = 93%. ). That was the tightness that had the bug netting just loose and the hammock "looking best".

Has anyone else explored greater sag than what is implied by the bug-netting length, even though that leaves fabric and netting above the gunwale somewhat loose?

I'm suggesting that Clark hammocks with beds identical to those using spreader rods are possibly being set by users with more sag and greater / different comfort, because the netting on those without rods is held up and gently taut by the bungees.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-13-2011 at 11:28. Reason: clarification

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Frankly I'm a little confused by your post. With my NX 250 I try to set the hang so there is a little sag in the netting and supports are leaning slightly inward toward center. It will all tighten nicely when I lay in it. If the netting is tight before I lay in it, I can barely zip the zipper and the hammock is not comfortable.

That's probably not what you're looking for but that's how I set the hang with my Clark NX 250.

Miguel

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    I set up my NX-250 using the "net sag" method which I had discovered by trial and error and have been using successfully for a while. I was curious about the angle of the suspension ropes so measured them with a device made to measure angles of such things as rafters. Both lines measured a perfect 30 degrees! I'm quite sure that I don't always get this exact, but it surprised me. After reading your post and I'm sorry I didn't think to measure what the ridgeline would have been. It would have been interesting as well. But I'm also glad I don't have to fool with one of those ridgelines!
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP here. For the way an NX-250 here was sewn, I am saying that Clark assumes a rather tight lay and long ridge-line. A shorter ridge-line results in sag of the netting and upper fabric, which sag is irrelevant to the way the hammock lays.

I'm asking Clark owners to measure their ridge-lines when they are in their hammocks. Unless I am measuring incorrectly a barely sagging --not tight -- bug- net in this one results a ridge-line which is long and may not be the right ridge-line for comfort. For sure, there are sharp ridges and valleys running from the foot end when the hammock is set-up this way. Getting a floppy bug-net out of the way is easy with a bit of elastic.

The NX-250 I happen to have is longer than most Clark models. Who is to say that Clark, when they calculated the fabric hoods and bug screen, both of which are used in visually in setting the hammock sag, used the same proportion as in the NX-150, or that either gets it right?

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Why?

Why not just set it up with a little sag and enjoy it? I own a NX 150. If it zips up hard, I loosen it a inch or so. Experience is the key to your happiness.

Hammock
    Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Haven pad
    Suspension
    Superior Buckle

Clark ridgeline geometry

I agree completely DemostiX

Clark ridgeline is long. l measured mine at 96% today.

I guess there is a "sewn in sag" in the hammock bathtub. Meaning even if you pull a clark taught without a ridgeline there is a bathtub shape still there.

Gathered end hammocks would flatten out more under the same test. So some initial sag is necessary in a traditional gathered end hammock to catch up with the sewn in sag of the Clark.

As a side note I am a side sleeper so this long geometry plays to that preference.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I started the thread suggesting that the visually appealing set-up is not the most comfortable for the occupant.

As always YMMV, but the point of posting then was to point out the possbility.

Setting up with more sag does mean the netting and rods droop into your lap.

That can be solved with a real ridgeline -- which as another thread notes is a problem unless it is raised by extending the "virtual hammock".

I've used a length of elastic -- shock cord if you wish to be camp-y, --permanently and gently pulling the hoods back toward the the respective hammock ends.

• + New Posts