Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I thought I had ruffled some feathers yesterday, on that other thread, if I did, I didnt mean to.
    Shug is an ICON on here, and he is going to have a following... and folks are going to look up to, or contact him. I dont know what to say there. He just seems to be a great guy.

The thread yesterday had two topics co-mingled. ( from what I read) the first part was Shug's about the stickies which is a great idea, but then a post was made about instructing new members to search before asking a question, .. that is what got my attention.

Honestyly, I have been on here since about 2009 and did not notice that TOO MANY QUESTIONS were being asked.

Be honest folks, how many times have you logged on, over a weekend, and saw that only a few post has been made,,,, and you think, man it is sure is slow on here today, and you get bored and start surfing on the other boards. Then in the evening, the posts pick back up,,,, Oh man, then you think, this board is busy,...
    who cares if it is somebody new asking questions.....that stuff keeps the board active for all of us.

I am on another board that the "use the search function key" attitude is used quite alot and it is a big turn off to me when I see that, now I rarley go to the JF board anymore. They treat newcomers like crap when they ask a question.

Another board make syou register before you can see the pictures. that sucks also.

How many folks started off "LURKING" before even registering........ALOT.

I reallly didn' notice any thing broke around here that needed fixin......just my country bumkin thank'in
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    ...a post was made about instructing new members to search before asking a question, .. that is what got my attention.
    You might notice that was said by a new member with 5 posts.

It's good for folks to read, search, and learn from what is here. But we're not going to get on to someone for asking questions. That's what we're here for.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    I don't know about anyone else but I learn almost as much from new members asking the same old, tired questions as from any thing else. Most of the members here have an evolving approach to hammocking and don't always think to post their changes until some one asks one of those old, tired questions. So I hope that asking "dumb" questions never gets squashed here.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I'll see about making a list of stickies, and linking it from the Navbar. That indeed might help some folks get started.

But I think the repetition of topics is often a good thing. It actually makes newer members feel welcome, because they aren't afraid to ask questions and get involved. It lets them interact with the folks that have been here for a while, and in doing that any number of times we've seen an 'old' question get asked in a 'new' way and it sparks an idea for something we hadn't seen before!

If you're tired of reading and answering a repeated topic, just pass over the thread. We all started out by reading threads, asking questions, and talking it out. The new members should get the chance to do the same.

Some of the old hats around here have followed threads about just about every imaginable facet of hammocking (the forum is at 32,000 threads and counting!). After a while, you do eventually get to the point where only rarely do you see something that's new to you. At that point....it's normal to step back and check in only occasionally. Go use the hammocking info and skills you've learned in the real world, and enjoy! After all, the site is about sharing info rather than perpetually entertaining the senior members.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again now. I welcome all the new members and the fresh ideas they bring with them.

Viva la HF.
    +1 to this whole darn thing!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I'll see about making a list of stickies, and linking it from the Navbar. That indeed might help some folks get started.

But I think the repetition of topics is often a good thing. It actually makes newer members feel welcome, because they aren't afraid to ask questions and get involved. It lets them interact with the folks that have been here for a while, and in doing that any number of times we've seen an 'old' question get asked in a 'new' way and it sparks an idea for something we hadn't seen before!

If you're tired of reading and answering a repeated topic, just pass over the thread. We all started out by reading threads, asking questions, and talking it out. The new members should get the chance to do the same.

Some of the old hats around here have followed threads about just about every imaginable facet of hammocking (the forum is at 32,000 threads and counting!). After a while, you do eventually get to the point where only rarely do you see something that's new to you. At that point....it's normal to step back and check in only occasionally. Go use the hammocking info and skills you've learned in the real world, and enjoy! After all, the site is about sharing info rather than perpetually entertaining the senior members.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again now. I welcome all the new members and the fresh ideas they bring with them.

Viva la HF.
    +2,,,Thanks AS
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12