WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

Q: tarp length and hammock length

Why are tarps so much longer than the rigged length of hammocks? Hammock ridgelines(RL) are often just over 100", under 8.5 feet. Full sized tarps are at least 120"/10' and often are longer.

A little extra coverage is good, but why so much extra? It appears that the tarp makers look at the fabric length of the hammock, not the rigged length.

I'm not seeing one person tarps for ground use that are 11'/132" long.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Rain does not always fall straight down...
    Also some Tarps are stretched it to the ground at different angles to allow for extra wind block...
    It's hard to have a bad day in a good hammock. - Jeremy Flatt

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    Why are tarps so much longer than the rigged length of hammocks? Hammock ridgelines(RL) are often just over 100", under 8.5 feet. Full sized tarps are at least 120"/10' and often are longer.

A little extra coverage is good, but why so much extra? It appears that the tarp makers look at the fabric length of the hammock, not the rigged length.

Ground tarps are small for the purpose they serve.

You can go smaller than 11' with a hammock tarp, but the set up gets more tricky balancing the hammock and tarp to get decent coverage, especially in blowing rain. 11' gives a bit more coverage on the ends is all.
    Hennessey offers the most minimal tarps on some of their hammocks. So there are smaller tarps offered.
    I like more space to live under while in the woods, most people do.

hyot (hang your own tarp)
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I have found 10' in length to be the shortest length I want to go. Even then I prefer 10.5' - 11'. Even at 100' ridge line like my warbonnet, you also have the gathered ends stick out, so it makes it more like 105" and 7.5" on each side isn't as much as it seems. Especially when setting up there's a lot more room for error. Setting up in the rain perfectly can be a challenge as well, along with sideways rain and the gap you will always have between you and you tarp. If the tarp is a hex or diamond, and your hammock is sitting one way slightly the end will be sticking out.

I like 11'. I have plenty of room to accomedate for wind blown rain, room to hang stuff on my suspension, and a lot more room for the imperfections of pitching, especially while rushing to get the tarp up in the rain.

Let's say the average human is 6' tall, and average hammock is 8.5' or maybe a little under. I don't think may ground dwellers use much under 8', so 2' of added length, that instantly puts us at 10.5' to gain the equal coverage. .

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

There is no law that dictates the length of the tarp. The stock HH tarp is very short. If you want one shorter than you can find available that is a perfect candidate for DIY.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree straps & CRL
    If other big-tarp users are like me ... I started with a small tarp and kept moving up in size till I found one that kept me dry in a windy rainstorm. I have a 12X12 and am quite happy with it (and dry).

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I have a question about the hennessy hammock no bugnet
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Very good question! Well if you were to play it by the numbers going off the ridgeline, then, yes you are correct there is a lot of extra tarp!

But you need to look at it from a set up point of view, and by doing so it gives you 9in per side! But then in reality you actually have about 7 inches per side as you have to count in the fabric that is extending past the hammock ridgeline! Then you have to factor in what design of tarp are we talking about, if it were to be a Hex tarp design, well that extra coverage is only at the tarp ridgeline then it starts to slant toward the middle (so to speak)!

So for the ground dweller he/she doesn't need to cover a hammock, only themselves! So naturally the tarp will be smaller, but still most ground tarps are close to the 8ft ridge, so why so much there when the person is only lets say 6ft tall? Same reason that we have that extra end coverage, protection against the elements really!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I prefer a longer tarp to use as some would use a vestibule in a tent. I put gear (and my wheelchair) in that area
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Some of my illustrations from this message thread might help with visualizing how the hammock, suspension and tarp interact.

Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast