Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Well, it sure is nice to have so many good cuben hammock tarp options out there now. A far cry from a couple of years ago. I have the HMG and MLD tarps and the quality of both is excellent. It's interesting to see the swelling popularity of cuben tarps on this forum.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    It's interesting to see some differences in design and materials emerge in these tarps, but at this remove, I don't see a loser in the bunch. To pick one out, I guess I'd just have to think about the imponderables.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    well some people saying "bigger is better" don't really speak for everyone. the 10% puts this tarp down to about $265 and includes guyline, which runs you around $10 elsewhere. unless i'm in the dead of winter i don't want to mess with a huge tarp. i wouldn't buy a 10x11 tarp ever. it's just not my style. so the hex cut, with 4 stakes only needed, makes sense for some.

now imo this tarp is too heavy for a simple cuben hex tarp, but then again, so is lawson's and oes'. i guess they are using thicker cuben than joe and stormcrow. i think this company has a following over at backpackinglight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    well some people saying "bigger is better" don't really speak for everyone. the 10% puts this tarp down to about $265 and includes guyline, which runs you around $10 elsewhere. unless i'm in the dead of winter i don't want to mess with a huge tarp. i wouldn't buy a 10x11 tarp ever. it's just not my style. so the hex cut, with 4 stakes only needed, makes sense for some.

now imo this tarp is too heavy for a simple cuben hex tarp, but then again, so is lawson's and oes'. i guess they are using thicker cuben than joe and stormcrow. i think this company has a following over at backpackinglight.com
    I have "No" idea where you are getting your info, but no where on this thread did anyone say "bigger is better"
    Secondly the price at 265$ I can still get one cheaper at the same dimensions
    The tarp that is mentioned is a Hex tarp, not a winter tarp with door's. The previous mentioning to getting a larger tarp was in reference to the size offered and the cost offered vs. others available, which I posted
    Third if you were to look at the material used that would tell you all about why it weighs what it does! Just because it is made from Cuben has no bearing on weight of the product as there are many different weights on Cuben!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Thanks for all of the interest and questions. First of all, yes, the date was a typo. The 10% discount is until July 1. Sorry for the confusion.

The pricing was based on our manufacturing costs and the materials that go into the tarp. While it seems like a relatively simple item, the raw material is expensive. It's also worth noting the seam is totally bonded, using a proprietary Cuben Fiber tape, and the tie-outs are double reinforced.

The discount is now clearly indicated on the website.

Thanks,
    HMG

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperlite Mountain Gear View Post
    Thanks for all of the interest and questions. First of all, yes, the date was a typo. The 10% discount is until July 1. Sorry for the confusion.

The pricing was based on our manufacturing costs and the materials that go into the tarp. While it seems like a relatively simple item, the raw material is expensive. It's also worth noting the seam is totally bonded, using a proprietary Cuben Fiber tape, and the tie-outs are double reinforced.

Thanks,
    HMG
    Thank you for the information! It makes sense now!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I've got a Hyperlite Mountain gear pack and stuff sacks. Whatever bonding is used is super strong. This guy makes some really good stuff that will definetly last a long time. I wish I had the money to get one. Also, THIS IS THICK CUBEN THAT IS NOT GOING TO TEAR.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I have "No" idea where you are getting your info, but no where on this thread did anyone say "bigger is better"
    Secondly the price at 265$ I can still get one cheaper at the same dimensions
    The tarp that is mentioned is a Hex tarp, not a winter tarp with door's. The previous mentioning to getting a larger tarp was in reference to the size offered and the cost offered vs. others available, which I posted
    Third if you were to look at the material used that would tell you all about why it weighs what it does! Just because it is made from Cuben has no bearing on weight of the product as there are many different weights on Cuben!
    pm sent

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperlite Mountain Gear View Post

Thanks,
    HMG
    Thanks Dave for the quick response to my questions via your website.
    Order has been placed. I hope you'll make the promise delivery of late next week.

I just weighed my OES Delux in syl nylon, with 6 lash-it tie outs (no CRL) and HH snakeskins.
    1.02lbs. Hoping I can cut that in half with your tarp.

Thanks for posting on HF.net and offering the discount to its members.

We shouldn't have any problem getting it to you before the end of next week. We'll let you know when it's shipped. Thanks for the order!

-HMG

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast