Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Post from a thread titled no more tangles showing my results.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    1st side is nearly complete, lashit installed, nest of strings removed, now to install anti-tangle loops.

Quote Originally Posted by akrampovitis View Post
    *bump*

Def following this one. I wanna see your results dirtwheels, cause if it works, it sounds like a nice solution to a few of the problems in the stock suspension... Pics would be great too... Thanks all...
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Personally, I just can't see spending any time or money pimping a $20 hammock. I'll bet the Lash-It mods, carabiner and ring will cost more than the hammock. It's like pimping a Ford Pinto - no matter what you do to it, it's still gonna be a Pinto.

I've never gotten the stock suspension wet - it's never outside the tarp to find out how much water it holds. My solution to a soggy suspension would be a bigger tarp - don't let the suspension get wet in the first place.

Personally, I just can't see spending any time or money pimping a $20 hammock. I'll bet the Lash-It mods, carabiner and ring will cost more than the hammock. It's like pimping a Ford Pinto - no matter what you do to it, it's still gonna be a Pinto.

I've never gotten the stock suspension wet - it's never outside the tarp to find out how much water it holds. My solution to a soggy suspension would be a bigger tarp - don't let the suspension get wet in the first place.
    I have a ton of that crap laying around since I climb ya know, so for me, its just excess gear that wouldn't be being used anyways lol... But you are right in your Ford Pinto analogy lol. Once a hacker, always a hacker I guess

Hey dirt, link to the thread?

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=56767

Hey dirt, link to the thread?

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    So far the cheap hammock is the most comfortable hammock I've tried. 180' of lashit - $21 or $.116/ft. 20 strands @ 35" ea., let's round up to an even 60' which ='s $7. What's amsteel, $.28/', so the 15" continuous loops to terminate the lashit dogbones on ='s another $2. Two 6' whoopies ='s ~ $11.

Is $20 really "pimping" hammock suspension? I hang the MH based on Ultimate Hang hang calculator's app., the MH is 137" long when factoring in the 2-26.5" webs, the app. recommends a 119" ridgeline. I haven't tried a 9' ridgeline as the 10' ridgeline seems to give me a near perfectly flat lie.

Yes it did take several hours and tender finger tips the next day fighting with the 1.75mm lashit, but it seems worth it. I could have bought a Bias WW, and still needed to but a bugnet, for alot more. What 65 with suspension, and another 60 on the bugnet? for a smooth $125. I've spent what $40 and have both? And from what I've experienced the MH lies better. At roughly 25% brand new? Given it's produced in China, the WW may be a future purchase... But we'll see.

+1 Dirt... Thanks for all the great beta!!!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    You are most welcome.

+1 Dirt... Thanks for all the great beta!!!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    So far the cheap hammock is the most comfortable hammock I've tried. 180' of lashit - $21 or $.116/ft. 20 strands @ 35" ea., let's round up to an even 60' which ='s $7. What's amsteel, $.28/', so the 15" continuous loops to terminate the lashit dogbones on ='s another $2. Two 6' whoopies ='s ~ $11.

Is $20 really "pimping" hammock suspension? I hang the MH based on Ultimate Hang hang calculator's app., the MH is 137" long when factoring in the 2-26.5" webs, the app. recommends a 119" ridgeline. I haven't tried a 9' ridgeline as the 10' ridgeline seems to give me a near perfectly flat lie.

Yes it did take several hours and tender finger tips the next day fighting with the 1.75mm lashit, but it seems worth it. I could have bought a Bias WW, and still needed to but a bugnet, for alot more. What 65 with suspension, and another 60 on the bugnet? for a smooth $125. I've spent what $40 and have both? And from what I've experienced the MH lies better. At roughly 25% brand new? Given it's produced in China, the WW may be a future purchase... But we'll see.
    Since I own both a BIAS DL and a Byer Moskito Hammock, I can unequivocally say that, for me, the BIAS is 100% more comfortable. In fact, I'd rate my tablecloth hammock equal in comfort to the BIAS. I got a lot of nights out of the Byer, with no real complaints, till I tried a BIAS.

The move to a BIAS with independent bugnet came from winter camping, when all the bugnet did was annoy me. That's when I knew I wanted an independent bugnet so I could leave it at home when the bugs weren't out.

I know they say you can flip the Byer over, and use it with the bugnet on the bottom, but I can't keep my legs from popping out of the hammock in that configuration.

By the way, somebody's math is off; yours, mine or Byer's. You say the length is 137", but when I measure mine it's 127 inches, whereas the Byer website says the overall length is 120 inches.

I'm not sure what the Hammock Hang Calculator is saying (it's not calculating for me, for some reason), but 83% of 137" hammock length should be 113", not 119 inches (which is 87% of the hammock length). And if my measurements are right, then 83% of 127 inches means a 105" ridgeline. If Byer website is right, then the ridgeline would be 100 inches. Just wondering whose math is off where.

Byer might say you don't even need a ridgeline, but I prefer it to keep the bugnet off me, if for no other reason.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Since the Byer is made in China, and my guess is you and I both are most likely proficient in the use of yardsticks and tape measures, let's just say there must be a variance to the manufacturing process. I just remeasured the strings I cut off and they are 27.75" and I meticulously measured each loop prior to assembling the lashit links. All of the stock loops (to the top the connection loop averaged 26.5".

Maybe the WW I tried could have been hung better, and the WW was more comfortable than my tablecloth. I have tried the table cloth as a channel and whipped, the whipped works best for me.

Your math is correct, the ultimate hang calc does what it does....and I'm pleased with that, I have tried several others and prefer the 10'RL. I also find the MF quite comfortable with no RL.

I'm 5'11" @ 190#'s and do get as sideways as possible and have never had any issues w/out the BN, I do sleep fairly still and favor side sleeping with my legs fully extended but in hammocks, have been trying to train myself to sleep on my back. I've got about 30 nights in the MH in my office. And about 80 nights in my table cloth.

And the Bias in definitely on my radar, the owners have been very responsive and have a great reputation and I try to but American every chance I get. I do generally defer to experienced and that is one thing I'm lacking when it comes to hammock camping. Thanks for your comments.

Since I own both a BIAS DL and a Byer Moskito Hammock, I can unequivocally say that, for me, the BIAS is 100% more comfortable. In fact, I'd rate my tablecloth hammock equal in comfort to the BIAS. I got a lot of nights out of the Byer, with no real complaints, till I tried a BIAS.

The move to a BIAS with independent bugnet came from winter camping, when all the bugnet did was annoy me. That's when I knew I wanted an independent bugnet so I could leave it at home when the bugs weren't out.

I know they say you can flip the Byer over, and use it with the bugnet on the bottom, but I can't keep my legs from popping out of the hammock in that configuration.

By the way, somebody's math is off; yours, mine or Byer's. You say the length is 137", but when I measure mine it's 127 inches, whereas the Byer website says the overall length is 120 inches.

I'm not sure what the Hammock Hang Calculator is saying (it's not calculating for me, for some reason), but 83% of 137" hammock length should be 113", not 119 inches (which is 87% of the hammock length). And if my measurements are right, then 83% of 127 inches means a 105" ridgeline. If Byer website is right, then the ridgeline would be 100 inches. Just wondering whose math is off where.

Byer might say you don't even need a ridgeline, but I prefer it to keep the bugnet off me, if for no other reason.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I got the Byer for.my daughter. I thought it looked small but should be fine for an 8 yr old.
    I've spent some time in it and like it. It fits me fine at 5'8". I also measured it at 120". I think ill change out the lines as suggested. Good hammock, great price. Better than I could make for myself at twice the price, and if it gets torn, no big loss.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast