Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    I know I'm someone who'll try to always be near either buildings or trees to the point that I'll be ok, but a lot of my friends have a tendency to ask "what do you do where theres no trees?". Mostly because I plan on taking trips and some will cross the deserts and some barren places, including Mexico.

obviously I think hammocks are by far the better choice, but you can always put up a tent (dog forbid) because theres always ground, but not so with the hammocks.

besides deploying on the ground, what can you do? im looking into a rock hanging wedge method, since thatll cover most "desert" situations.

So what do/would you guys do?
    First, when taking these trips, you will have a vehicle, right? Although I see from your avatar it will probably be a bike?

Well if it is not a bike, you might have room for some sort of portable hammock stand, even if just one pole. If you can find one tree, then one pole might get 'er done. And if you have a trailer hitch and one pole, you won't even need uber stakes for that pole.

Or maybe one or two of these?: http://www.byerofmaine.com/products/...era-stand.html

I have one of these and have been known to take it with me in my RV or truck:
    http://www.byerofmaine.com/products/...cok-stand.html

As for "but you can always put up a tent (God forbid) because theres always ground", that is true. But if you can do that, you can also put up your tarp and use your hammock as a bug/wind bivy just by using some hiking poles. But if you know the ground is in your future, you might prefer a tent.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Since the odds of me actually sleeping while on the ground are nil, I just pitch my tarp with trekking poles and use my ccf pad, quilts, bug net. Been there, done that a couple of times. I carry a uber light weight "tent floor" just for this. I don't "sleep" (however twice my buddies reported snoring coming from my direction...) but at least I'm resting with my eyes closed.

If these guys can do it, so can you...

https://profiles.google.com/dkblanar/posts/KySNFRH1Ny8

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12