Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Well if you buy the Explorer UL and dont like it you can easily sell it on here for close to what you paid. If you like it awesome!
    So your not really losing much, more like renting it if you decide its not for you

Quote Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
    I'm dying to, but I'm being bombarded with people here (read: nh) telling me tents are better because the trees are too dense and not many prime hanging situations. I don't want to pump $170 into a setup and find out after the return date that it isn't easy to find hanging spots.

I don't know if this is simply because they are "pro" tenters and want to feel good about using a tent?

I am trying to find a way to use my cheapo hammock to test out a hike, but I need a tarp and bugnet as I got eaten alive hanging outside my house! I just don't want to spend another $25-50 on stuff I won't end up using if I get the hennessy. So I'm in a sort of frustrating situation. I want to go this weekend, but it's all rain here. To make it worse EMS is having a great sale on a sweet tent if I found hanging wasn't optimal in the whites. I'm going to usually be with people, so it's not just finding a site, but finding a site near tenters that worries me.

I might grab a cheap poly tent and use my head bugnet if I could test it tomorrow, I just feel bad using the stuff a lot knowing I'm going to return it...

Anyhow, at this point it is just a matter of me getting out there and doing real world hanging. I think beyond that I've got all the info I wanted for now. So thanks to everyone for the help. I'll keep at it.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    luisdent, I can understand your problem. I've only done military "camping" and boy scout camping. So the idea of dropping all this cash on a single person hammock that I might not even be able to use as designed is rather daunting.

See if there are some forum members near you who wouldn't mind letting you try their rigs out, or if there is a forum members hang going on near you. Or buy the Hennessy and resell it here as was mentioned. Only been a member for a few days and have seen several sell quick.
    Last edited by Isheian; 06-25-2011 at 12:09.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Not wanting to add confusion, but most hammock rigs can be set up on the ground if you have nothing to hang from. Just make sure to have a ground sheet to protect it from abrasion, and keep the ground moisture out. A big lawn garbage bag cut open is probably enough. Basically you suspend the ends from a pair af trekking poles and the tarp goes over the poles.

If you want to try hanging cheap, grab a yard of noseeum netting at a fabric store. You only need enough to cover your head... Well whatever isn't under your sleeping bag. Get a blue wally world tarp. Heavy yeah, but this is a cheap test not buying the cadilac rig we all dream of.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    +1 on a couple of yards of tulle from the fabric store, and a cheap 8x8 or 8x10 poly tarp. Hang the tarp diagonally and use the tulle as a mossie net, spray with permethrin if at all possible. If you can't hang, set up the tarp on your trekking poles and take a large trash bag to use as a ground cloth. don't forget your pad. Have a good time.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, you might go by EMS and get an ENO bugnet on sale ($46.70)and then a cheap blue tarp from wallyworld.

Or the Byer Mosquito Hammock ($38.20).

Maybe $60 total?

Images
    update! :-P

I just bought the ems tent on the great sale tey had and was going to save up for a hammock "as well", but on my last trip the tent-to-hammock setup location ratio was just ridiculous. Every 5 seconds I could find a suitable hammock hanging spot and we found ONE tent location the entire trip that barely fit both our 1-person UL tents! This seems to reflect the last few hikes I've done as well. As a matter of fact, I brought my $20 byer hammock and setup right next to the tents. Ha.

Anyhow, so I think I'm going to return the tent and get the HH backpacker or expedition I was going to save up for instead. The HH even seems decent on the ground if needed. However, I was wondering if anyone could answer two questions for me:

First, the backpacker model allows you to swap the stock rainfly for their hex model at no charge. The expedition only adds $20 I believe. The difference total between the two with hex tarp would be $30.

So would the standard rainfly be sufficient in 3-season camping? It seems awfully small, where the hex gives you more protection and options, but at twice the weight and more packed size.

I'm leaning towards the hex, but the lightweight-ness of things always draws me in.

Second, is there any reason other than price to go with the expedition? They both fit 6' persons and seem similar in construction. The only difference I see if the 50 pounds less weight max and slightly different materials...

Any last recommendations before I jump in to the never ending hammock saga?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Go Long

If you're approaching 6' go with a longer model. I'm 6' and have an Explorer Ultralite and love it. I recently bought an expedition for my son to use. To me it feels cramped, the lay isn't as nice and I believe the explorer UL is actually a bit lighter.

Images
    I'm about 5'1". The backpacker looks a teeny bit shorter by spec. The expedition is listed as 100" x 52"' (diagonal) while the backpacker is 100" x 48". Not sure how much 4" affects the lay?

The explorer UL says 108'' long x 56". So it does seem bigger overall. It isn't as light as the backpacker, but not by much, although it's more expensive than both the others. It also packs a little bigger...

Hmmmm...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    luisdent,

I like a big hammock, even though I'm short. I don't think you'll notice the 4" on the sides, as it just goes up higher, blocking more of your view. You'll definitely want to get the hex tarp. The standard one barely covers; you can put the sides down in a rain, but not much end coverage. The hex one covers much better, especially in a rain.

From what I've read by HH owners, many recommend the zip version (easier to use a UQ), a hex tarp and Snake Skins. You may want to switch out the rigging later for whoopies too.

Images
    Yeah, I think I'm going hex tarp. Also, I prefer the zip for a few reasons. I find the cheap hammock I have comfortable...

Wow, I just checked and it is actually 108x54.
    http://www.byerofmaine.com/products/...e-hammock.html
    Hmmm... So maybe the bigger is better. I can't imagine it being much smaller than mine. I thought mine was small but comfortable. Ha! :-P

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast