Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Alabama Noob

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Homewood, AL
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Blubber
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    30

    Alabama Noob

    Hi All,

    Just getting started with hammock camping. I was introduced to it when my son started Boy Scouts. Hammock camping was not an optionthat I was aware of back in the late 70's and early 80's when I was a scout. Never liked sleeping on the ground.

    Bamabert Jr. has an ENO singlenest setup with the bug net and fly. I have tried it out and am sold on hammock camping.

    Right now I am trying to decide between the Warbonnet Blackbird and the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe. Any advice?

    Also trying to decide on a tarp but have much less of a feel for the options.
    Again, any info would be appreciated.

    I look forward to hanging virtually with all the HF members.

    Bamabert

  2. #2
    Senior Member taylo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Alabama
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Posts
    696
    Hey hey,
    I'm from Jackson AL. I've had a blackbird in the past and currently have the traveler. I've also owned the doublenest ENO, it just needs a ridgeline to put some serious sag into it so you get a good diagonal flat lay. The bird and traveler come with a ridgeline. It takes about 5 minutes to put a ridgeline on the ENO. I also cut off the stock suspension on the ENO and put on whoopie slings. Whoopies make life alot easier. Anyways, welcome!

  3. #3
    Senior Member ewok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    138
    Images
    4
    Welcome from Georgia. I have a Hennessy expedition and have no complaints, however like many folks I'd like to try a WBBB. If you go with a ho hennessy opt for a larger than stock tarp. Where in bands are you? I work in Auburn. Sorry for the brevity but I'm on my phone.
    If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bigbamaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE Alabama
    Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Posts
    2,432
    Bamabert:
    Welcome to HF from Bama (Gadsden)..........If you are close to the area I can let you try out a WBBB 1.7 DL or ENO DN w/ridgeline + strap suspension as well as a couple of tarps of different manufacture. Good to see another bama boy on the forum and it appears we are getting a good size group. Look for the group hangs that will be coming up in the fall and "winter" month around the state........
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

  5. #5
    Senior Member ewok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    138
    Images
    4
    Like Bigbamaguy said, I could let you try an Expedition or a double nest or a single nest with a ridgeline.
    If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Homewood, AL
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Blubber
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo166 View Post
    I've had a blackbird in the past and currently have the traveler. I've also owned the doublenest ENO, it just needs a ridgeline to put some serious sag into it so you get a good diagonal flat lay. The bird and traveler come with a ridgeline. It takes about 5 minutes to put a ridgeline on the ENO. I also cut off the stock suspension on the ENO and put on whoopie slings. Whoopies make life alot easier. Anyways, welcome!
    Taylo-

    I'm in central AL-Birmingham, AL area.

    Thanks for the advice. A ridgeline will be added to my sons rig for sure and possibly the whoopieslings. For him one of the benefits is simplicity so the whoopieslings add a level of complexity.

    Why the switch to the traveler?

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Homewood, AL
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Blubber
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by ewok View Post
    Welcome from Georgia. I have a Hennessy expedition and have no complaints, however like many folks I'd like to try a WBBB. If you go with a ho hennessy opt for a larger than stock tarp. Where in bands are you? I work in Auburn. Sorry for the brevity but I'm on my phone.
    Wow you're quite the multi-tasker.

    I am in the Birmingham area (Homewood, AL). The WBBB certainly seems to be well thought of on the forum.

    Are you happy with your Noah's tarp?

  8. #8
    Senior Member wyleone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Hammock
    ENO 1xSN & 3xDN
    Tarp
    Dryfly, Noah's 9
    Insulation
    2x AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    ALL in one WS.
    Posts
    264
    Images
    1
    Welcome to the boards, from Mobile. Great to have yet another fellow bammer on board.

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Homewood, AL
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Blubber
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Bamabert:
    Welcome to HF from Bama (Gadsden)..........If you are close to the area I can let you try out a WBBB 1.7 DL or ENO DN w/ridgeline + strap suspension as well as a couple of tarps of different manufacture. Good to see another bama boy on the forum and it appears we are getting a good size group. Look for the group hangs that will be coming up in the fall and "winter" month around the state........
    BBG-

    Thanks for the offer- I may take you up on it. I am in the B'ham area but will be heading to Camp Comer (Mentone, AL) with the Boy Scouts so passing through Gadsden on the way. I will be there for a whole week (7/10-16) so it would provide a chance to give one of them a good test.

    I look forward to the group hangs when the weather is cooler if I can survive a week with the scouts.

  10. #10
    flatline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    high point, nc
    Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Posts
    3,143
    Images
    47
    welcome to Hammock Forums and hey from high point nc.
    there is a ton of stuff here to read, learn and ask about.
    if it's hammock related it's here or still waiting to be invented.
    hang on and have fun.

    CLICK HERE to add your name to the world wide H F member location list. And Thank You!


    _________f___l___a___t___l___i___n___e_________

    " just jump in where you can and hang on!" - briscoe darling

    ___WildernessLogics ROCKS !____

Similar Threads

  1. North Alabama Noob
    By DomoTVA in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 18:08
  2. Hi from Alabama
    By prob in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 21:09
  3. greetings from Alabama
    By tansey in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 11:17
  4. Hello from Alabama
    By Banjo_Bro in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 23:30
  5. noob from Alabama...
    By Eliteoomph in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 20:40

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •