Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    I am going to make me one of these setups. My only concern is length when finished, which is the same as a number of other people's. Has anybody found any collapsable poles that work well for this? I'm on a motorcycle so weight isn't a big issue, but I'd like to get it down to 24".

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    I always wonder how these stands stay upright with no one in the hammock to provide that tension
    There is a ridgeline that holds the two ends in tension with the guylines. Take a look at the picture with tarp removed and you can see it.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Treeless Dowel Stand

Somewhere I just saw a video of a stand made from two dowels and steel cable and lag bolts for anchors. Now I can't find it. If someone knows were it is, please send a link. I'm want to attempt to build one with Amsteel for the guy lines.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Dowel based Stand

Quote Originally Posted by OldMart View Post
    Somewhere I just saw a video of a stand made from two dowels and steel cable and lag bolts for anchors. Now I can't find it. If someone knows were it is, please send a link. I'm want to attempt to build one with Amsteel for the guy lines.
    I found it again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2W-YVl8EV8

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Bringing this thread back up....didn't see an answer to this question of using the Military Aluminum pole sections.... in either two post set ups or two bipod set ups; I am curious on this as I have a local-ish source for the aluminum pole sections, and a local source for 1/4"(6mm) rigging line which I can use as the main tension lines and ground stake system....I probably will have my mechanic/fabricator make me a few of those ground stake booms with angle aluminum or angle iron....

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    Bringing this thread back up....didn't see an answer to this question of using the Military Aluminum pole sections.... in either two post set ups or two bipod set ups; I am curious on this as I have a local-ish source for the aluminum pole sections, and a local source for 1/4"(6mm) rigging line which I can use as the main tension lines and ground stake system....I probably will have my mechanic/fabricator make me a few of those ground stake booms with angle aluminum or angle iron....
    I have always thought the aluminum pole sections would work great. I went with the conduit because I could nest them, but I don't see any reason the aluminum poles would not work for the stand. I think they will be plenty strong.

I went with the black pipe for the stake booms because they are extremely strong and again, I could nest them. Drilling a hole at a 45 degree angle proved impossible for me (I ended up drilling straight holes spaced to give a 45 degree angle, heating the pipe, and then bending them so I could put a stake through). If your friend figures out a way to drill the 45 degree angle, please let us know.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    ...If your friend figures out a way to drill the 45 degree angle, please let us know.
    Use a flat ended End Mill bit instead of a drill bit. I imagine I could get the job done with a drill press and vise, but would prefer a milling machine.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I concur with a milling machine, there's a vise that can rotate the workpiece to any degree for angled holes...theoretically could use it on a drill press with an end mill bit though...

use this in conjunction with V vise liners for round stock, it will work....
    Last edited by CamoDeafie82; 04-03-2014 at 22:18. Reason: added pic of vise V blocks

Alamosa,

I love your set up and am planning on building one for myself and demonstrating for my scout troop.

You had mentioned having drilled holes at different points to hang the hammock on while leaving the full length in order to put your ridge line for your tarp. Doesn't this significantly weaken the pole? And what are you using to attache your hammock to the pole with?

Can you share some updated photos of your set up? I would love to see a close up of how you are attaching your hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast