Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by jred View Post
    If you used fence railing, you could possibly have 2-piece poles, 3' or so long. I was thinking of strapping my tripod setup upright to the sissy bar. It'd stick way up, and look funny, but I deal with enough funny looks that it wouldn't matter. Hmmm. I need to figure out a way to have the sissy bar be the support on one side.
    If you hung a flag off it, people would just think it was a flag staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    This idea is very close to the one I made. I don't know what it weighs. I used 8' boards and angled them so that they take more of the load off the anchors. I like the idea of your anchors, and my try one of these to cut space more than anything. Nice looking and it works.

My stand, using a 2"x4", the end has sunk in the ground a little, but only about 1" to 1.5". And that was with 2 days of rain. So I understand your concern with using pipe.
    I had seen stands using poles and anchors before (and I like your's by they way). The big advance I was going for was minimizing the transport size. That is what made the nesting so appealing.

It sounds like my sinking should be similar in soft ground. Possibly a bit worse as the end size of the 2x4 is larger than my poles even after they are capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    If using a plate like this one, you could also carry 4 extra stakes, 2 on each plate, to keep it from slipping. Then you would not need the rope at the bottom. Just a thought.
    As the poles will probably sink a bit, the pole moving is probably not that big of risk after they have been loaded. However, what I really like about the lower cords is that it makes setting the position of the pole relative to the pegs is very quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What he said! Great stuff. I was thinking "hammock stand" from the word go during the "stake boom" thread.
    Yea BB, based on the beefy booms I was showing, I figure many people saw the writing on the wall.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    What a great idea!! I love this and will be keeping an eye on this thread to see the end results. If someone has some free time; can you make one for me. I think this project will be way out of my comfort zone. Heck, I'm already a part of the cordage anonymous group here in the hammock forums; I don't care to venture into other possible addictions in the local hardware store.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Great design Alamosa! Have you tweaked the set-up any more from the original plan? I'm heading to Fla. in a couple of weeks and may need something similar there. Do you think the boom anchors will hold well in the sandy soil or is there a better option?

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I have made some minor tweeks - very evolutionary:
    1) I welded a disk into the opening of each pole to close off the end (the disk is the same size as the hole, not a flat plate).

2) I then cut-off the inner pole to fit inside the outer pole and be about 3-4 inches shorter to fit beneath the pin on the outer pole which locks the whole thing together. This aids with putting the foot end higher as well.

3) Instead of cutting the poles shorter, I drilled additional pin holes every 6 inches (5.5', 5.0', and 4.5'). I can then attach the anchor cords and the hammock at a lower position, but still have my tarp at 6' so I can basically stand.

4) I painted the poles green so they don't stick out so much and the booms and pins bright orange so they do stick out more.

5) I made my pins out of double-headed nails so they always stick out both sides. I also drilled some holes in small magnets to thread the pins through so that they hold themselves in place without sliding out.

6) I bought a piece of pipe insulation to put around the rig so when I can attach it to my bike or put it into the boat, it has a little softer feel. It can easily be take off when I don't want it.

As far as sand goes, I think the pole driving into the ground and the stake pulling are the two biggest concerns. Using a board will solve the stakes sinking.

I think in anything but the loosest sand, the booms will hold, but I haven't tried them in sand yet. I definitely want to try it and, given soft loose sand below, the cost of failure is definitely low.

I had the thought that they could be reversed - pipe into the sand and anchor cord attach to the stake. Though I am not sure how I would keep the cord from slipping off the stake yet.

In very loose sand, I would probably revert to tieing to a buried stick as a deadman.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Oh yea, the other thing I am thinking about is a tee-pee like setup for the end caps. It would cover the triangle area from the pole over the anchor cords to the anchors.

This should provide a vestibule type area to put things in. I could go with a smaller tarp if I wanted to. I'll try to make it when I have a little bit of time.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to Alamosa! I went on a scout trip with my son to the Hawassee river and was one tree short of a good hang. I took a pole stand that I made using the information in this post and it worked wonderfully. The ground was fairly sandy but the stakes held for two nights.

Again Thanks for the great design Alamosa!
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    What size pipe did you use for the booms? What size nails/stakes did you use?

I'm curious about the pins you used on the poles themselves - what sort of pins are they? What amount of your weight do they have to hold? I assume they have to be able to support whatever the downward force of the hammock suspension is as it attempts to slide down the slick surface of the metal pole? Obviously whatever type of pole pins you have used are working!

Alamosa - any updated pics after your modifications?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    What size pipe did you use for the booms? What size nails/stakes did you use?

I'm curious about the pins you used on the poles themselves - what sort of pins are they? What amount of your weight do they have to hold? I assume they have to be able to support whatever the downward force of the hammock suspension is as it attempts to slide down the slick surface of the metal pole? Obviously whatever type of pole pins you have used are working!

Alamosa - any updated pics after your modifications?
    I used 3/8" x 12" threaded pipe that I purchased from Lowes with 12" gavanized nail.

I didn't have any pins available so I just used a 1/4" carrage bolt with a threaded plastic piece that covered the threads.

Since I am only 165lbs, I used a 3/4" rigid conduit for my pole. And yes, it is only supporting the downward force since the hammock suspension and tieouts are anchored at the same point on the pole.

I will post a couple of closeup pics in a few minutes.
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    Oh yea, the other thing I am thinking about is a tee-pee like setup for the end caps. It would cover the triangle area from the pole over the anchor cords to the anchors.

This should provide a vestibule type area to put things in. I could go with a smaller tarp if I wanted to. I'll try to make it when I have a little bit of time.
    For your teepee cover, you could try the 5x7 OP tarp from Walmart, I think only $10 coated Poly.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing

Here is a close up of the pole, which is 62" tall.

Here is everything for one pole. You would need to double this for a complete standalone system.
    Tim

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast