Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Great work (although I am still baffled on how systems that need to be anchored into something else [aka:the ground] can be called standalone).
    Tag with Home if your thread is more about home hammocks. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I work with conduit daily and I saw this thread and saw in the pic you had the pole on wood to keep from sinking in the ground and thought I would share with you the nicest cheapest way to make a base.
    http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....egory.61933/.f

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Luckily for me I can get the the stuff to make this at work for free.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    What size pipe did you use for the booms? What size nails/stakes did you use?

I'm curious about the pins you used on the poles themselves - what sort of pins are they? What amount of your weight do they have to hold? I assume they have to be able to support whatever the downward force of the hammock suspension is as it attempts to slide down the slick surface of the metal pole? Obviously whatever type of pole pins you have used are working!

Alamosa - any updated pics after your modifications?
    I described the Stake Booms in this thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34348

I used trimmed 16 penny double-headed nails for pins. It makes sure the pin extends on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    For your teepee cover, you could try the 5x7 OP tarp from Walmart, I think only $10 coated Poly.
    That is a great idea. Just a little tailoring would make a good teepee/vestibule area.

Quote Originally Posted by TN Cereal Killa View Post
    I work with conduit daily and I saw this thread and saw in the pic you had the pole on wood to keep from sinking in the ground and thought I would share with you the nicest cheapest way to make a base.
    http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....egory.61933/.f
    These would work on very loose soil like sand.

I welded a plate across the bottom (round the size of the poles) and I haven't had any issues with it sinking.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Successful hang at last

I was finally able to get this hammock stand to work for me with some extra stuff - end result I used two stake & booms plus an extra doubled stake for each end with a WS on each line leading to the pole - the majority of the line was left over Spyderline from when I was playing with SLS - I stretched out the legs of the support as far as I could just to reduce the angle on the force pulling on the boom stakes - this helped IMO - the third stake combination was a 36 inch steel stake with holes purchased from Lowes connected to the pole with a 10 ft. WS - about a foot above ground level (where the WS was attached) a short loop of Spyderline is held using a nail through one of the holes in the steel stake - this loop goes down to a second stake, a 16 inch Super Stake like http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...-1?N=662858375 also found at Lowes. The poles were joined with a ridge line of approximately 14 feet of Speer No-Tangle line and were angled so that they were slightly away from the hammock and resting on small pieces of wood.

lessons learned -

1. setting up on a side hill traverse puts a lot of stress on the up hill side anchors - I bent one of the 12 inch spikes and landed on my butt the first time as a result as it pulled out

2. setting the anchors so that the line up to the poll was 45* was not the best choice even when on flat ground (landed on my butt #2) - this is the reason I stretched the anchors out as far as I could using the Spyderline so as to reduce this angle and make it less likely that the anchor would pull up

3. adding just a third stake (steel 36 inch) was not enough when using just Spyderline for the guy lines - it pulled out along with one of the anchors (#3) but it did get me close - I was actually hanging for a short while just above the grass - I hit the ground after raising the hammock to standard height - I suspect this was due to the lack of adjustability with the pure Spyderline guy lines

4. adding WS to the guy lines plus the secondary stake tied to the steel stake as well as using a longer WS from steel stake up to pole was the final clue - I was able to adjust the pole position easily so that it leaned away from the hammock slightly plus I was able to readjust after initial loading of the hammock to get the supports back to desired position

Note I had different goals and was looking for a light weight stand for the trunk of my car and not something that all nested together. The pole I used was a segmented pole so that it would fit easy into the car - there did not seem to be any issues with using the segmented pole.

Also note setting this stand up without a second person to hold the pole is moderately a PIA but using a folding chair to hold the pole does work OK for when one is setting it up by themselves

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I made it portable by making everything nest. The stakes (yellow) nest in the booms (black) which nest in the smaller diameter pole (red) which nests in the larger diameter pole (blue). A pin holds everything in place when packed.

[/quote]

So if I am seeing this correctly your final nesting is just one tube correct? This is isn't just one side but EVERYTHING nested together?

Here are all the components of the stand:
    1) 1.25 inch conduit
    2) 1 inch conduit
    3) stake booms
    4) stakes
    5) amsteel loops (plus a couple of whoopie-sling

Is it the weight of the tarp that is making this sag? Is this something to worry about ?

Either way I am looking to use this concept at our next campout which is at the end of Sept.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    So if I am seeing this correctly your final nesting is just one tube correct? This is isn't just one side but EVERYTHING nested together?
    All the hardware is nested in the larger pole. I do keep the lines and pins in a separate bag.

Is it the weight of the tarp that is making this sag? Is this something to worry about ?
    Yes, the tarp is pulling the ridgeline down. The ridgeline basically just holds the stand up when the hammock is not in use. When it is in use it is the tension applied by the hammock that holds the stand. The ridgeline can be as tight as you like to avoid the tarp from creating sag.

Either way I am looking to use this concept at our next campout which is at the end of Sept.
    Good luck. I have now used it on 3 seperate campouts for about 12 nights. On the last one, I was at a family reunion in a state park in Utah. I used the one tree in my campsite along with one end of the stand for 6 nights. I couldn't have been happier with it.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Hi HOI, gald you got it worked out. I will admit that I hit the ground a couple times while gettting the kinks worked out of the system (especially the development of the boom stakes).

I agree that the farther the boom stakes are back from the stand the less pressure is on them (the reverse of the 30* hang rule). It also helps with the angle of attack of the boom stakes. One note on that, when putting the boom stakes in, make sure the free end of the boom stake is actually point up (above level). It seems counter-intuitive, but in reality, if the free end is lower, it moves the stake closer to a vertical position. Having the free end higher both increases the angle of the stake into the ground and increases the angle of pull from the cord to the stake.

I am still meaning to put together a video of setting this up as I have never had assistance and have it down to a pretty easy process to setup alone. In this case a brief demo would be worth thousands of my words of description.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    That video sounds great. Would loved to see it in action.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

New or different variations?

I have been following this for some time, and I really like this setup. I do have a couple of quick questions. Has anyone researched the idea of going with UL materials? Has anyone looked into carbon fiber poles? Strength in this setup? Cost? Weight?

I will probably end up doing something like this (maybe with std BSA 6' hiking poles) but it would be nice to consider a hiking solution to this.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast