Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    Any Ideas for backpacking?
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjahamockman View Post
    Any Ideas for backpacking?

Yea!

Hike in the woods.

This system works really well from my truck or strapped to my motorcycle trailer. With secured endcaps you could haul it on your back easy but it would be a bunch of weight AND you'd look like you were on the way to the mount for your crucifiction. I can see modding it to get the pole length down but that's just going to add more weight.

Hike in the woods.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Era View Post
    http://store.colemans.com/cart/suppo...l?currency=USD

I'm curious how the aluminum camo netting poles would work for this. I seem to recall they were pretty rugged and light and can probably be had even cheaper than this with some searching for sections rather than the entire kit. The fiberglass ones were pretty tough but I think I'd have more trust in the aluminum.
    I was wondering the same thing. I see some people using them for Turtle Stands, but then there are three poles per end instead of one. I wonder if one would take the weight. If so, they seem ideal for portability (I'm thinking bicycle trips) because each pole could break down to shorter sections.

Hammock
    Wal-Mart Equip
    Tarp
    GG Emergncy Sheltr
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ/Foam/Net
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Tech Line

New and intrigued!

Hello everyone. Sorry I have not formally introduced myself. I will post to the introductions after this.

I recently discovered the world of hanging. I live on the beach and instantly started trying to think of a way to hang treeless. It appears this topic has been looked at pretty thoroughly, and I am really impressed with what you guys have come up with!

I was trying to think of a lightweight treeless design (possibly backpackable) and I did some drawings of ideas I had. Still haven't gotten to play around with any of them, but thought I'd share if anyone can take anything away or add anything. I see that many different materials have been discussed. Through my research I found some carbon fiber on everyone's favorite auction site. http://www.ebay.com/itm/22mm-X-20mm-...item1e704168ae
    I wondered if anyone has had any experience with the stuff to know if it is legit, or if it's just PVC with carbon fiber sticker on it

The only difference in my designs are that I initially thought there would need to be a reverse force on the top of the support poles to counteract the downward/inward force when under load (but I see that this is not the case).

If I ever get to actually play with the designs I will be sure to post pictures, but I wanted to at least share the designs for anyone to take a look at.

Initial design Hammock Stand Design 9-4-2012 comp.jpg

Initial design with stabilizing guylines Hammock Stand Design with guy lines 9-4-2012 comp.jpg

Initial design with tarp. I tried to find a way to run the guylines using as few stakes as possible Hammock Stand Design with Tarp 9-4-2012 comp.jpg

Tried to draw it better and get more stabilization New design Stand comp.jpg

With tarp New design Tarp comp.jpg

Hammock
    Wal-Mart Equip
    Tarp
    GG Emergncy Sheltr
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ/Foam/Net
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Tech Line

Aluminum poles

Perhaps these could work? http://www.kelty.com/p-134-adjustable-pole.aspx

I saw a review on amazon how a guy used two of them on the beach. Maybe they'd be strong enough to use only one on each side.....maybe?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...x=0&isremote=0

Quote Originally Posted by petez View Post
    found some aluminum telescoping tubing here:
    http://www.dxengineering.com/default.asp?DeptID=43
    Lots of sizes to choose from. I got some 3' to telescope together for travel, but may cut it shorter.
    Please let me know if it works out for you.
    Thanks
    Follow up: Just wanted you to know this about that tubing. The clearance is only a few thousandths of an inch, and if you get any deformity or dirt on them at all they may just lock together and not move
    That happened to me and I just slid them together out of the box.
    Well I called DX and they replaced my order, great to deal with!
    They also told me that they are designed to slip together and be clamped, not slid together and un slid lots of times.
    I want them to telescope together so they collapse into each other to save space.
    They are not designed for that.
    Next I ordered every other size so there is more clearance.
    I plan to make some sleeves to fill the gap and glue (super glue or epoxy) the sleeve on each end.
    Trying to make sense here
    I cut a strip out of an old bleach bottle about 2 inches wide and wrapped it around one end on the inside of a tube.
    That slides tight. Next I have to take a strip like that and wrap it on the outside on the other end of the tube that goes in it. Still trying to find a glue that sticks to the plastic.

I wound up buying two larger tubes besides my order, and now I have a couple left over, but they are cheap enough that it does not concern me. Figure it's the cost of experiment and development.
    What I wound up with to use is three tubes every other size so the gap between them is one wall thickness plus the original gap.
    Probably only need to use two tubes if I only need them to be 5 and a half feet long, but the third will make it about eight feet! From what I read on the forum I will not need even close to eight foot posts.
    If I cut a bit off of each tube, they will telescope together to make a reasonable length for motorcycle camping and still expand quite long. I have not pinned down how much to trim yet.

Oh, I tried putting a block of wood on the end of the tubes that stuck and hammered on them mightily. Can't see any damage, so they are tough, but I could not unstick them. They are permanent!
    Please don't plan on telescoping them with the small clearance, just skip one size and go to the next.
    Last edited by petez; 09-12-2012 at 08:31. Reason: more info
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH
    Tarp
    SuperFly, Hard Roc
    I am trying a bipod portable hammock stand using your stake booms. What I am having problems with is if I don't get the same distance on each stake, then one takes more force and pulls out taking the other with it. I have tried to step the distance to each stake but still having problems. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    Wal-Mart Equip
    Tarp
    GG Emergncy Sheltr
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ/Foam/Net
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Tech Line
    Quote Originally Posted by petez View Post
    I cut a strip out of an old bleach bottle about 2 inches wide and wrapped it around one end on the inside of a tube.
    That slides tight. Next I have to take a strip like that and wrap it on the outside on the other end of the tube that goes in it. Still trying to find a glue that sticks to the plastic.
    I think bleach bottles are made of Polyethylene, or similar. You won't have much luck gluing that stuff to anything. I would suggest going with a different type of plastic. Nothing comes to mind off the top of my head right now though.

Also, if you do try gluing to the aluminum poles, make sure and prep the aluminum beforehand by etching the surface with vinegar.

I'm stoked to see how your project turns out! Keep us posted.

Hammock
    Wal-Mart Equip
    Tarp
    GG Emergncy Sheltr
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ/Foam/Net
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Tech Line
    Just adding to the brainstorming here...

Perhaps you could skip the plastic all together. Instead, maybe you could apply JBWeld or epoxy to the aluminum, and let it cure. Then sand it down to the OD you need to fit the female end of the other pole.

I've been thinking of a way to fabricate lightweight telescoping poles myself and found these:
    http://www.rockwestcomposites.com/br...s/button-clips

Probably don't even need them if the aluminum poles fit tightly enough together, but thought I'd share.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerscout View Post
    I am trying a bipod portable hammock stand using your stake booms. What I am having problems with is if I don't get the same distance on each stake, then one takes more force and pulls out taking the other with it. I have tried to step the distance to each stake but still having problems. Any suggestions?
    May fit better in the stake boom thread, but a couple of suggestions I would make:

1) I would guess that you want to lengthen your guy-lines. With shorter lines and sharper angles at the connection with the pole, the force on the boom gets much higher and the angle is more pulling up than through the boom to the stake. 45* at the top of the poles is a minimum. 60* is better.

2) Set your booms first and then let the guy-lines establish the position of the pole(s). This will allow you to make sure both lines are equally tight. With a little practice you will be able to set one end, step off to the stake position on the other and end up with the proper spacing.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast