Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help finding a TQ

Good afternoon.

I am new to the whole hammock camping and need some help on what TQ to get.

I am still trying to decide on what hammock to get it was between the Hennessy and the BB but just saw the switchback and it looks interesting to.

Either way I need help deciding on a TQ. I need something that will take me down to 40. But is light and compact. Also what a good UQ would be to pair with it. I was thinking of the shamu,

Any suggestions would he much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Well do you want down or synthetics. If you want down their are numerous vendors such as Hammock Gear, Jacks R Better, Warbonnet that all make great TQ. Synthetic Id check out AHE. It comes down to personal preference on which one you like the best. I am a fan of Hammock Gear cause I love the customization of their quilts. Id look into the 3 season burrow for a good TQ I have one and its take me way down past 40.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Your standard answers are going to be:
    Hammock gear
    Warbonnet
    Jacks r better
    Te Wa underquilts

Really can't go wrong with any of these.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    if your goal is 40F i would look at a 3 season just to have that extra little bit
    all the vendors have really nice TQ ... it all comes down to who's you like best
    i like JRB for my TQ and Hammockgear for my UQ
    if you end up getting a WBBB you could always get a 3 season yeti i think if you order more then one 1 item off him he gives you so much off ...
    just something to think about ......
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been happy so far with my Light Hiker Bedroll but I haven't had it below the high 50s since it's been warm since I got it. I might try a Burrow later in the year.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

HammockGear's summer top-quilt is rated to 40 on the money I believe and that was when he was using 800F.. it's not rated at 35 degrees which gives you some wiggle room if it dips near freezing on you.. Stormcrow and Thorwren do outstanding work and customer service is TOP NOTCH (can't say that enough)

They also make a full-length down underquilt or a 3/4 if you want a partial UQ. Used them in some pretty drab conditions and was 1 of only 2 bright spots, the other being the company, on the trip.

Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    I too was looking for something like you... I ended up with a quilt set from Arrowhead Equip. Kick *** Quilts New River and Owyhee to be exact. Since I wanted synthetic mine doesn't pack as small as down but the quality is really nice. It just came in this week so not much testing temp wise since it has been so hot in the area where I live but they fit my WBBB like a glove!

If you are really looking to get down to 40 deg F my opinion is to stay away from DP Gear... I have not been impressed with the temperature rating on them. Just my opinion anyway...

Ski

Thank you everyone for taking time to reply!

I think I would prefer synthetic because it seems to be a bit cheaper.

Is there any TQ with primaloft in them?

The insulation that is in the light trail bed and the shamu I have seen people talk about condensation problems. Would anyone be able to expand on that?

Thanks again. I am going to take sometime and look at the various companies you mentioned and probably have more questions

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG INC\TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

buy cheap buy twice

I have learned this many times over if you buy the synthetic because of price then later you'll wish you had the down and eventually buck all reposibility for the 10 oz difference. I have found it is better to wait and get exactly what you want and make due with what you have for longer. I use my sierra designs bag as a top quilt while waiting for my hammock gear fund to stregthen again. But judging on the performence of their UQ I would suggest the burrow.

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    Personally I would spend money on a good down underquilt. As for the top quilt just get a sleeping bag with a dual zipper that goes all the way down the sleeping bag and across the feet. That way you zip up just the portion from the bottom of the sleeping bag to your knee(footbox) or heel to knee and leave the feet open for venting. I have a field and stream 40degree bag I bought for forty bucks if works great for this.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast