Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SPE & Sum Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Long Trail VT Wallingford to Killington

I hiked a section of the Long Trail last weekend with a buddy of mine and an old college friend of his. They've been working on hiking the entire trail in sections for a couple of years and invited me to hike with them on this section.

We did a 24 mile section of the Trail from VT Rte 140 in Wallingford to US Rte. 4 in Killington. The Long Trail and the AT run together in this section, in fact they part ways about 1 mile north of our stopping point. The first day we hiked in over 13 miles to the Governor Clement Shelter where we spent the night, they in their tent and me in my hammock. The second day we hiked the final 11 or so miles up and over Killington Peak (4235 ft, the trail passes just below the summit) to Route 4 in Killington.

http://youtu.be/aZaXi0YSzuw

The first day was gorgeous, with mostly sunny skies and temperatures in the 70's. It was plenty hot for backpacking though. We had a couple of unusual sightings as we made our way north. First, about 2 or so miles in we came across a chair sitting, no pun intended, in the middle of the trail. Never seen that before! And, not two miles further down the trail we crossed paths with a NAKED HIKER None of us was quick enough on our feet to take a picture, but I swear we saw him! This section of the Long Trail was well maintained and seemed fairly well traveled. We passed several areas with fresh blowdowns. VT had had a few severe thunderstorms pass through recently, in fact I had lost my telephone and power due to a severe storm the evening before the hike . The decent into and climb out of Clarendon Gorge were very steep.

The climb on the north side of the gorge in particular was steep at about 400-500 ft elevation in about 1/2 mile. There isn't much for views on this section of the trail, just a couple of westerly lookouts with a view towards New York state.

The Governor Clement shelter is a beautiful stone structure built in 1929. There are some good hanging (and tenting) sights near the shelter and water from a nice cold stream about 200 ft away. We cooked dinner over a fire and turned-in by 8 p.m. This was my first night out backpacking with my Warbonnet Blackbird and I could not have slept better!!!!

We awoke (around 5 a.m.) to the pitter patter of rain drops on the tarp and temperatures in the 40's. Going into the trip the forecast had been for a chance of showers Saturday with lows in the 50's. Since the rain was light and intermittent at that point, we decided to pack up and get an early start to try to avoid getting too wet before the big climb up Killington Peak (about 2500+/- ft over 4.5 miles). We set out a little after 6 a.m. and the skies proceeded to open up Then, of course, as we climbed the wind also picked up and the temperature dropped as well. We had been anticipating a difficult climb up Killington, but in fact, it went fairly well and we reached the Cooper Lodge, another very nice stone shelter just below the summit, in much less time than we had planned. There was only one technically difficult "short and sweet" area that we had to traverse on the way up. We were fairly cold and wet by the time we reached the shelter so we warmed up some water and had a cup of instant coffee and some snacks. The walk over to Pico Peak and down to Route 4 was easy and steady. I think we may have passed several good lookout points on this day, but we were continually in fog/clouds so we didn't see much beyond the woods around us. The rain stopped within 10 minutes of beginning our long decent from Cooper Lodge. All day we had to watch our step on wet rocks and roots. After reaching the parking area on Route 4 we drove a mile up the road to McGrath's Irish Pub and the Inn at Long Trail and had a great Irish Stew and a pint. It was the perfect ending to a cold, wet day of hiking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Green Mountain Boy; 06-19-2011 at 12:15. Reason: added photos

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Awesome trip report sorry it rained on yall. I love the long trail. I attempted a thru last year but blew my knees out in the first week. Its a brutal trail. Looks like yall had a great time.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0dl + DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SPE & Sum Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Awesome trip report sorry it rained on yall. I love the long trail. I attempted a thru last year but blew my knees out in the first week. Its a brutal trail. Looks like yall had a great time.
    Thanks lazy, we had a great time in spite of the rain. Parts of the Long Trail can be challenging, especially in bad weather; sorry about your knees, maybe you'll give it another shot some day?

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Sounds like a great time! The first day with sun sounds suspicious though I was under the impression it always rained up that way Thanks for the taking the time to post the report.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Most trip reports take me way back in time but I did this section and a little more last Sept-October. For those thinking about doing this section and if the weather is good def. take the blue blaze to Killington Peak-the views are expansive but always in VT on the AT include a ski lift The day after I crossed Killington it got 12 inches of snow, I plodded on in 3-5 inches to Story Brooke Road where I'll pick up in late August.
    Thanks for the recent memories!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Terrific to see....this is on my "To walk and hang" list. plus I can get Whoopie Pies to eat while I suspend on my whoopie slings.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Excellent report and picts. Thanks for sharing them.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0dl + DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SPE & Sum Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Sounds like a great time! The first day with sun sounds suspicious though I was under the impression it always rained up that way Thanks for the taking the time to post the report.
    Chris, I actually spliced-in footage from last year when the sun used to shine for more than one day at a time. If you look closely, you will see that we look a little older on the second day The Summer Phoenix is an awesome piece of gear, I'm very happy with it. Hope to see you up here on the LT.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Most trip reports take me way back in time but I did this section and a little more last Sept-October. For those thinking about doing this section and if the weather is good def. take the blue blaze to Killington Peak-the views are expansive but always in VT on the AT include a ski lift The day after I crossed Killington it got 12 inches of snow, I plodded on in 3-5 inches to Story Brooke Road where I'll pick up in late August.
    Thanks for the recent memories!
    I wish the weather had been better, though I've skied Killington many times, I have yet to actually stand on the top! Have fun when you come up in August. I was supposed to do another 2-3 day trip north from Rte 4 at the end of June, but things at work are such that I can't get the time off any more. Hoping July and August are better at work...

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Terrific to see....this is on my "To walk and hang" list. plus I can get Whoopie Pies to eat while I suspend on my whoopie slings.
    Shug
    It would be great to have you visit our neck of the woods Shug. Speaking of Whoopie Pies, my wife has an awesome recipe, but she only makes them if I'm very, very, very nice to her

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Great trip sorry you had to see a streaker along the trail lol

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0dl + DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SPE & Sum Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Can't Wait View Post
    Great trip sorry you had to see a streaker along the trail lol
    The sighting did spur some interesting conversation the rest of the trip...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast