Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Moderator raiffnuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY,WBBB Clone,ENO,GTUL
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Posts
    5,537
    Images
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Thanks raiffnuke, I want to form the loop for a larks head for the bunched end of a hammock.
    David
    Yes, that will work just fine. You might want to make triple overhand knots for the fisherman's knot, but you should be just fine with a double. I have used this for the same thing with no issues at all. Your other option is to slice a continuous loop. They are cleaner looking, but not needed. My 2cents.

  2. #12
    Senior Member SC_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    Yes, that will work just fine. You might want to make triple overhand knots for the fisherman's knot, but you should be just fine with a double. I have used this for the same thing with no issues at all. Your other option is to slice a continuous loop. They are cleaner looking, but not needed. My 2cents.
    Thanks very much!
    David

  3. #13
    Senior Member Jcavenagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Posts
    1,197
    Images
    22
    I think Brandon said somehwere on the board that he has gone to the triple knot. Since he is the master bird, I would suggest following his example.

  4. #14
    Senior Member SC_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    I think Brandon said somehwere on the board that he has gone to the triple knot. Since he is the master bird, I would suggest following his example.
    Thanks jcavenagh!
    David

  5. #15
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    6,415
    Images
    80
    Hey Dave, I highly recommend learning to make a fixed eye loop with a locked brummel. It is super easy and fun to make and it allows the amsteel to retain about 80% of its strength. Knots derate the strength of amsteel. Hvaing said that, I have used knots in the past with no problems but I like the fixed eye because of its strength and it is undoable say if you want to make the eye bigger or smaller. Knots are a lot harder to untie. Just a thought.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  6. #16
    Senior Member SC_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    320
    Thanks Bubba, good information!
    David

  7. #17
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Hey Dave, I highly recommend learning to make a fixed eye loop with a locked brummel. It is super easy and fun to make and it allows the amsteel to retain about 80% of its strength. Knots derate the strength of amsteel. Hvaing said that, I have used knots in the past with no problems but I like the fixed eye because of its strength and it is undoable say if you want to make the eye bigger or smaller. Knots are a lot harder to untie. Just a thought.
    That's not a locked brummel...you can pull it apart. There's quite a discussion on the topic in the closed loop thread.

    I am not trying to discredit closed loops made in that fashion. They have been in use for a year or so, and have performed perfectly.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  8. #18
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    6,415
    Images
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    That's not a locked brummel...you can pull it apart. There's quite a discussion on the topic in the closed loop thread.

    I am not trying to discredit closed loops made in that fashion. They have been in use for a year or so, and have performed perfectly.
    I'm not talking about a continuous loop, I was referring to making a fixed eye like on a whoopie that he could use to girth hitch around the end of his hammock like the illustration here
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  9. #19
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'm not talking about a continuous loop, I was referring to making a fixed eye like on a whoopie that he could use to girth hitch around the end of his hammock like the illustration here
    Gotcha. My mistake.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  10. #20
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    6,415
    Images
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Gotcha. My mistake.
    No worries og
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Similar Threads

  1. Name this knot!
    By megipbunny in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 20:05
  2. I'm knot sure about this not...
    By JGON in forum Clark Jungle Hammocks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 05:06
  3. The knot on an ENO
    By AmericasHammock in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 11:24
  4. Knot instead of Fig 9
    By Salty in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 18:00
  5. help with name of a knot.
    By turk in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 22:03

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •