Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    yeah i forgot about the WL UQ.... from what i hear he does some nice work... might be worth checking out
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Try searching G.I. poncho liner UQ. I never got mine to work well, but others have had luck with them.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    You might also consider that many fail using too thick a pad. Is heat loss through a pad to the air greater than total heat loss to the earth on the ground, where we think thicker is better. Also, a thin pad can only be better-conforming than a thick one and more comfortable. So, try a spare wool throw blanket between your hammock layers as a test?

On heat loss:
    I regularly find ordinary w/w carpeting laid over a standard pad to be of great insulative value over a concrete pad, even if the R (or the inverse, U) value would suggest otherwise. Any sheet, but especially a flannel sheet, seems to provide insulative value over a vinyl-covered sleeping pad. TeeDee, in discussing fabrics for his bridge hammock found all his testers much preferred the feel of polyester over nylons.

So, while a flannel liner inside the hammock would be regarded by weight weenies as a poor choice, it might be a marked comfort improvement, in all seasons, over nylon if it could be easily secured to the hammock bottom. The point I'm belaboring is that even as a UQ owner, I'm wondering that thinking UQ's are necessities for comfort is like believeing a bed isn't made unless it has a bedspread over it. Really drives up the cost of hammock camping. In $, or in bulk.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-23-2011 at 10:34.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    imho, comfort does not come cheap. backpacking, camping, hammocking is an expensive sport, initially. a good sleep bag is pricey. a good pack is pricey. its like most anything else..... FALSE ECONOMY. you can try to undercut steep costs on start-up, but if you're serious, you'll end up spending more because of double-buying. the cheap UQ will have you wanting a quality one. i made my first UQ.. spent 35$ on a crappy synth bag, cannibalized it, made a uq. it was ok... but my sewing was worthless, the design was weak... and i ended up cold. i used a pad for a month, saved my pennies, and now have a stormcrow original crowsnest. never been happier. of course.. hmmking has been called an addiction by some. so many small cottage industries make great gear.. most one-person op's. .... kinda hard to argue with giving an HF vendor your hard earned money so they can keep making gear for the next person in line. again.. i say initially expensive.. once you have the stuff that makes you happy, warm and comfortable on the trail... getting to the woods costs the gas money you saved by bringing a p.b.j. sandwich to work for lunch and skipping that chai latte in the morning. like a good friend and fellow hmmker always says regarding spending money and buying gear....an example--- "8$ bucks for some dynaglide?.....you've blown that at chipotle".

that said.. WL i hear makes good stuff. i do have an AHE lost river as mentioned... great quilt.. just kept me toasty warm down to 46.

good luck on your quest.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    the cheapest way I've found is to make my own gear. Now on that note, my cheapest UQ are all summer ones. My DIY winter under quilts are all down and that translates into a lot more money. So, summer UQ's.... my cheapest is the one I made with a military poncho liner. I sewed two channels, one on each side and added shock cord. The channels were not sewn straight down the liners edges. But rather on a slight diagnal so that it fit my hammock. I used clothespins to pin it to my hammock and marked it with a sharpie where I wanted the channels sewn. The extra material was then just folded inside and left there. I've made two other summer UQ's. One is an "IX" quilt. Very Very easy to make and it works extreamly well. The other UQ is made with climashield insulation. Fairly easy to make but of the three of these quilts, this was the harder one to sew. This one packs the easiest and smallest of my 3.
    The military poncho liner is not waterproof and I don't like to use it if it's gonna rain or it's humid (which is most of the time around here). I will use it if I add a covering to protect it. The IX and my climashield, I made them both waterproof. The cheapest of these to make was the poncho liner UQ. And it's been a while since I made the other two but I'm pretty sure I didn't spend over $75 to make either of them.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I made my UQ out of a $10 kids SB from Walmart. Another option would be to go by an Army Surplus store for a poncho liner. There is a thread on here on a how to for a no-sew Uq out of a liner.
    Chris

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    imho, comfort does not come cheap. backpacking, camping, hammocking is an expensive sport, initially. a good sleep bag is pricey. a good pack is pricey. its like most anything else..... FALSE ECONOMY. you can try to undercut steep costs on start-up, but if you're serious, you'll end up spending more because of double-buying. the cheap UQ will have you wanting a quality one. i made my first UQ.. spent 35$ on a crappy synth bag, cannibalized it, made a uq. it was ok... but my sewing was worthless, the design was weak... and i ended up cold. i used a pad for a month, saved my pennies, and now have a stormcrow original crowsnest. never been happier. of course.. hmmking has been called an addiction by some. so many small cottage industries make great gear.. most one-person op's. .... kinda hard to argue with giving an HF vendor your hard earned money so they can keep making gear for the next person in line. again.. i say initially expensive.. once you have the stuff that makes you happy, warm and comfortable on the trail... getting to the woods costs the gas money you saved by bringing a p.b.j. sandwich to work for lunch and skipping that chai latte in the morning. like a good friend and fellow hmmker always says regarding spending money and buying gear....an example--- "8$ bucks for some dynaglide?.....you've blown that at chipotle".

that said.. WL i hear makes good stuff. i do have an AHE lost river as mentioned... great quilt.. just kept me toasty warm down to 46.

good luck on your quest.
    i could not have said it any better.....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

There was a thread about MacEntyre (aka Molly Mac Gear) making one using pef although I didn't see one listed on his website. There was a picture of a prototype he was using that he reported as having excellent results. However in the thread there was useful info that could be of use in an affordable diy project.

anybody have that 3/4 length down one? any feedback on ease/comfort/actual warmth? I'd be using it with a zip-style HH.

thanks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you hurry, you could get this one on sale for $100:

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1902885

Probably go back to $130 in a couple of days. Or, you could get some shock cord and tie little glove hooks on them and put a cheap sleeping bag under for a while (sew in a few grosgrain loops along the edges and put the glove hooks up to your ridgeline.

Creative Kayt made a UQ in the DIY on YouTube out of a $10 wallyworld sleeping bag.
    search for "creativekayt - Hammock "How To" -- UQ DIY #1"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast