DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Take ya a copy of the US Army Survival Manual with you... gives you good reading, and ITSHTF you might be able to find your way out of 'issues'. Also remember to take a good FAK and signalling materials (firestarters, signal mirror, etc).o
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    You definitely brought up quite a lot that I hadn't previously considered like not camping too close to a river so you can hear noises and bring a book.

Now how about this:

1. I'm thinking of using a Steripen for water purification. What do you think of that idea?
    2. Most are recommending the bear bag approach. Do I need a Ursak near Vail?

Thanks for all the tips, everyone. I appreciate the support.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rreevestmmk View Post
    Take ya a copy of the US Army Survival Manual with you... gives you good reading, and ITSHTF you might be able to find your way out of 'issues'. Also remember to take a good FAK and signalling materials (firestarters, signal mirror, etc).o

Acronym Definition
    FAK Focal Adhesion Kinase
    FAK Freight All Kinds
    FAK First Aid Kit
    FAK Federasie Van Afrikaanse Kultuurvereniginge (Federation of Afrikaans Culture Organisations, South Africa)
    FAK Feeding at Keyboard
    FAK Flyaway Kit (Royal Australian Air Force)
    FAK Fußballklub Austria Wien (German: Vienna, Austria soccer club)

Sorry, could not resist.
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Sounds like a pretty cool trip! As far as hiking solo goes, Its an aquired taste--I love the simplicity, and i love the quiet, and the flexibility/freedom. (you pretty much get to do what ever you want, when you want!) (but the solitude and quiet can be unnerving for some folks) On the flip side, you really dont have any back up, so, you adjust your behavior accordingly. (when Im alone, I stay on the trails, dont deviate from my "flight plan"--or what ever trip plan I left with my wife.---and generally dont do anything too stupid that could get me hurt!) Lots of people carry a cell phone, but In my opinion, that tends to give you a false sense of security. (I feel the same way about carrying a gun while hiking) I've never had trouble with people, and the only times Ive had animal problems, it was because I did something stupid---didnt hang my food properly, camped in a bad area etc. Anyway, have a great trip!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muttly View Post
    Acronym Definition
    FAK Focal Adhesion Kinase
    FAK Freight All Kinds
    FAK First Aid Kit
    FAK Federasie Van Afrikaanse Kultuurvereniginge (Federation of Afrikaans Culture Organisations, South Africa)
    FAK Feeding at Keyboard
    FAK Flyaway Kit (Royal Australian Air Force)
    FAK Fußballklub Austria Wien (German: Vienna, Austria soccer club)

Sorry, could not resist.
    Rats, I try to catch myself as acronyms, too much of a work habit.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

and bring a radio (with ear phones for use in case there are other hikers in the area)

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudorino View Post
    You definitely brought up quite a lot that I hadn't previously considered like not camping too close to a river so you can hear noises and bring a book.

Now how about this:

1. I'm thinking of using a Steripen for water purification. What do you think of that idea?

I have a steripen, but don't get much in the way of battery life, so don't really trust it. I carry a homemade gravity filter (replacement cartridge in a wally world dry bag connected to some tubing). Works well for me and I'm looking to lighten it from its current 8 ozs.

On the other, if bears aren't much of a threat, I use the ursack minor. Not strong enough to keep out a bear, but does good against racoons and such. I also use an allegedly odor-proof bag inside to help. If I'm in known or suspected bear country, I use the same bag inside a bear vault.

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudorino View Post

Now how about this:

1. Steripen is a proven water sterilization tool just make sure the water's clear since the light has to get through for it to work. Prefilter as needed. Bring some chemical drops in case of an equipment failure. That way you have a backup with almost no weight penalty.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    Agreed on the Steri Pen. It is light and such but the battery life is really short. I would suggest the Steri pen only if you bring an extra set of batteries and another form of sterilization. Also a cheat sheet on what the blinking lights mean. I bring the iodine type kit for backup sterilization. I have also heard that if the water is too cold it doesn't work as well but that might just be rumor.

I also never deviate from my intended trip plan if at all possible when I am alone which actually stood me in good stead last year when a forest fire started near my hiking trail. It kept me on the trail and mostly away from harm.

Also when alone keep the chance taking at a minimum because you are there to survive and with no one to doing a swan dive into a creek isn't nearly as impressive when no one is around to witness it.
    Last edited by bgraybackpacker; 06-22-2011 at 21:14. Reason: Just because

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I've been soloing for decades..no problems yet-fingers crossed.
    Def. stealth but on last weeks stealth something scared me--first for a scare in a long long time. Evidently I picked a spot to hang that was eitthe the bedding area or darned close to it-got the hammock up and walked several yards away to relieve my bladder and I heard a huge SNORT-I jumped! Just a deer but it startled me. Long days, many miles, etc. can make you more sensitive.
    Sterpipen. Hmmm, requires batteries doesn't it. A small bottle of generic chlorox has done me well for years-either that or I'm already colonized with the nasties.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast