Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Solo?

I like to watch some nice movies before I go out.....Blair Witch Project, Night Staker.....you know the good stuff. After the adrenaline rushes, I fall fast asleep. Of ourse I am new to hanging, so mine is tent experience......

Just kidding. Seriously, there is nothing to be concerned about, just dont invite problems, hang your food etc. I hunt black bear and I'll tell you it is much more nerve racking walking out of the woods in the dark when you can no longer see them, but can hear them feeding......by the way, they have never bothered any of us!!!

As a funny story, a bear about 200lbs decide to climb the tree my buddy was sitting in while arcehry hunting, in his tree stand. Well for about a half an hour, the bear could not figure out what the hell that thing in the tree was. My buddy tried to get him/her to go away by pouring water on its head.....the bear lapped it up like a dog!!! Eventually he got bored and left. My buddy needed new camo bottoms, but tells me he feels like it was a good experience in hind sight.

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images
    I too hike solo, most of the time on the Appalachian Trail. For the first 4 - 5 times and recurring on limited basis thereafter I woke up and/or could not get to sleep due to all of the sounds of the forest as well as my overactive imagination regarding things that go bump in the night.

Things I do to minimize the "can't get to sleep" blues:

Always bring a paperback book to read. I get mine from the library for .50, and when I am finished reading them I live the book in a nearby shelter.

Pick your hang spot while you still have good light so that you can watch out for widow makers (branches that are ready to fall on your head) and generally familiarize yourself with your site location.

Develop the habit of putting all of your gear ---backpack, boots, headlight, food, etc.) in roughly the same locations every time you set up your site. Food 200' away, backpack and boots under hammock...and trusty headlight hanging down from ridge line.

Verify proper operation of your headlight prior to the sun going down; know where you can find spare batteries in a hurry in case you may need them.

Eat a good meal. Put on your head light.Hop into your hammock, take out your book and read until you are falling asleep.

Some folks like pulling their fly down to give them the sensation of being in a closed space. I, on the other hand, frequently through one side of my fly over the other. That was I have pretty much unobstructed view 240 degree rule.

Last trick, if a noise wakes you up...use your headlight to scope out your site surroundings...answer the call to nature.....and let yourself go back to sleep.

Last line of defense, take 3 -4 benadryl.

Hope these ideas help!

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop gathered end
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've been wondering about this too, great topic! I would love to spend the night in my back yard in my hammock, but one thing keeps me from it. Sometimes at night, while I am reading, especially if it's late, I hear what I think are wild dogs down in the bottom land. I live in the woods, to the north, east and west of me is basically forest for a good ways and I own 4 acres of it myself. It sounds like a pack of them and is quite un-nerving even being in the house, now it could be coyotes, but I was always told by my grandfather, when we'd hear them, that they were wild dogs and that they do not fear humans.

Not to mention the wild pigs, but I think they are more afraid of me than I am of them, I do not think they'd bother me in a hammock. I have a small spot that has two perfect trees that I have been hanging my hammock between in the evenings when it cools off, I'll put the iPod ear plug in one ear and listen to some Celtic music and listen to the sounds of nature while I read a book. It's very relaxing! I love it. Stayed out till about 8:30 yesterday, and was gonna stay a little later when I heard something breaking twigs and coming closer. I didn't rush, but packed up and headed back into the house, just as well I didn't have a flash light with me. I have been camping most of my life on and off, but never alone.

I watch Shug's videos and a few others, it is inspiring and makes you want to get out and experience it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF camo
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksInDark View Post
    Some folks like pulling their fly down to give them the sensation of being in a closed space.
    I dunno why but this seemed counter intuitive at first . . . then I caught on.

Keith

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I recently did a 5 day trip solo on the AT. It was awesome and I'm missing it already. Love the peace and quiet.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I have a buddy that takes zline and bells with him when he goes solo - wraps the zline around the perimeter of his site (using trees) at 6" from the ground and 18" from the ground - tells stories about random little critters setting off the bells at all hours
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop gathered end
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gree...onal-park.html

I reckon that's why this topic exist! That has to suck, a lot! One minute you are on the trail, the next you are in eternity.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    He wasn't alone according to the article.... But that does suck
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by mwig50 View Post
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gree...onal-park.html

I reckon that's why this topic exist! That has to suck, a lot! One minute you are on the trail, the next you are in eternity.
    That's not so bad.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Strap/Tri Rings
    I too was apprehensive my first night in the woods in my hammock. I slept with music all night to drown out other noises. After that night I haven't thought about I anymore.

Most all of my camping trips are solo so I had to get used to it quickly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast