Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greetings from southern California!

I’ve really enjoyed checking out the wealth of knowledge here and decided to finally introduce myself.

Many a restless night on the ground has led me to the world of hammocks. I’m still trying to find my groove in the backyard with some HH models. I’ve also tinkered with GT Ultralights with my 5-year old daughter (who absolutely adores Shug’s videos, BTW) so she can join in the madness…I mean, fun.

Now that I’ve discovered that hammocks are way more comfortable for me than ground sleeping, I’m trying to narrow down my first big time hammock purchase. Currently debating between the WBBB and Tree to Tree Switchback models. (Anyone in SoCal with a WBBB or SB I can look at??)

I look forward to learning from all of you—Lord knows I could use the help!

Michael (aka SoCal Mike)

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Welcome to the forum from the central valley! Sounds like you've already got some experience under your belt, and creating a future hanger to boot. I have no experience with either of the hammocks you are looking into, but I can't recall ever reading a post where someone was dissatisfied with their WBBB. You've got the right idea, though--definitely hook up with someone to give it a test hang if you can. If not, the resale value is extremely high, and there is always someone out there looking for a BB.

Again, welcome! Hope to hear all about your (and your family's) future adventures.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    Welcome to the forum from the central valley! Sounds like you've already got some experience under your belt, and creating a future hanger to boot. I have no experience with either of the hammocks you are looking into, but I can't recall ever reading a post where someone was dissatisfied with their WBBB. You've got the right idea, though--definitely hook up with someone to give it a test hang if you can. If not, the resale value is extremely high, and there is always someone out there looking for a BB.

Again, welcome! Hope to hear all about your (and your family's) future adventures.
    Thanks! And I see you're in the Clovis area. My in-laws live there and I'll be up there this summer. I'm looking forward to hanging in the Dinkey Wilderness area, probably near First Dinkey/South Lake, in early August.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the HF from Canada! Have have both that you are looking at and honestly, you cannot go wrong with either.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post
    Currently debating between the WBBB and Tree to Tree Switchback models. (Anyone in SoCal with a WBBB or SB I can look at??)
    Welcome Mike! If you ever feel the need to visit the garden spot of California , I have a WBBB 1.7 dbl and a Traveler you can try on for size. We seem to be growing into more and more hammockers on the Left Coast...might need to do a gathering.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post
    Thanks! And I see you're in the Clovis area. My in-laws live there and I'll be up there this summer. I'm looking forward to hanging in the Dinkey Wilderness area, probably near First Dinkey/South Lake, in early August.
    I was up in that area with my family just last week--beautiful! Love those enormous pines
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Thanks; On my way to a hammock addiction!

Thanks, everyone.

@ Law Dawg: I do occasionally pass through Bakersfield en route to Fresno, so don't be shocked if I take you up on your offer!

I'm trying to be somewhat methodical in my approach to grabbing the right hammock for me, which has led me to the WBBB and Switchback.

However, I'll be taking a HH Explorer Ultralight out next week for a couple of nights to see how I like the size, even though I'm not going to keep it (don't hate the lashing technique, but I think I'd like something else; and I can't seem to get over the calf pressure--maybe a zip version is more my style?). I tried the HH Hyperlite. Liked it, but felt more comfortable in the more spacious Explorer Ultralight, so between the 2 I chose that one. Now I'm starting to like the looks of the Switchback with whoopies, double layer body, double zip bug net (I have lots of questions about the LH v. Classic body sizes; but that's for another forum) v. the WBBB and it's easy set up, large body, good weight, and comfort (as reported by nearly everyone who has used one).

I'm already starting to sound like an addict. Somebody stop me before it's too late!!

It's going to be a fun ride.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Welcome to the nuthouse SoCal. Mine is a DIY hammock, so I can't speak to the comparison issue, but Trek Light was running a special on their double nest ENO. Like the WBBB, I have heard nothing but good things about Trek Light and their gear.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome Mike.

I've heard good things about both. The biggest difference being that you have a better view out of the Switchback and that it zips from both sides. I have a couple of WBBBs on order and I'll likely get a Switchback and maybe a HH Deep Jungle in the future.

Central Valley guys showing up strong

Thanks for the tips, guys.

@ mountain-man-mike: Another Clovis man! Great! Since I’m up in the Central Valley from time to time, it sounds like a CV get together might not be too far off in the making.

@rodwolfy: Looks like you’re collecting as many hammocks as hope to accumulate someday. I can tell you’re going to be great resource. Thanks, my man.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast